Author Topic: Is anyone else having problems with continual computer disconnects?  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Lately, I have not been able to access the computer without tolerating constant disconnects.

The same thing is happening with my cell phone. Constant interruptions, disconnects and generally bad service.

We are with Verizon.

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Re: Is anyone else having problems with continual computer disconnects?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
That's Monsanto cutting off your access.

You've been warned before to contain your conflict with other posters so it doesn't overflow into threads where it's not welcome. The snarky comment you just posted here is also not acceptable for the General Forum. Therefore, your warning level has been increased 30 points. If you wish to appeal this warning, please PM me.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:53:16 PM by PeterTheAleut »
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
I would guess one of two problems:
1.  Your Internet provider.
2.  The phone line, if your computer is connected to a land line.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 06:30:09 PM »
I had problems yesterday, but not now. I think a Windows update messed with my net/browser settings or something, because yesterday I had a heck of a time getting on for hours, despite no apparent or discernable error (though I was more certain that it wasn't on the hardware side); I finally signed in as my other user account--created for just these sorts of problems--got a net connection, rebooted, and voila: working connections again. The more frustrating one is that--at least in IE (not on the Kindle, and haven't checked Chrome)--well, first that the formatting stuff above the oc.net posting window (bold, etc.) has disappeared. I usually enter that manually anyway, but I don't know the code for all the smileys. Anyway, secondly, using IE for this site, it won't accept my password unless I go through a specific process involving putting the password in wrong (but saving it for future use), being told it is wrong, then clicking on the user name, which causes the wrong password to appear, then changing it to the right password, and then it lets me sign in to oc.net. Wat? 8)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:30:42 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:43:30 PM »
Verizon provides the lines for both computer and phone. Nasty company.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 07:21:52 PM »
^Their customer service leaves something to be desired.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
^Their customer service leaves something to be desired.

First we had General Telephone ... a real dud.

Then we got Verizon. Worse ever!

Now Verizon is going to spin us off to Frontier. Can't win for losin'.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
Does your cell and your computer go out at the same time? If so, that might indicate a problem with your router or your modem because they would both be getting signal through those.
God bless!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:02:30 PM »
Does your cell and your computer go out at the same time? If so, that might indicate a problem with your router or your modem because they would both be getting signal through those.

The cell and the router are not interconnected. The router serves only the computer. We have a separate cell phone provider as we did not want Verizon.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »

The cell and the router are not interconnected. The router serves only the computer. We have a separate cell phone provider as we did not want Verizon.
So your cell doesn't use wi-fi in the house? It wouldn't matter who the provider is, but most people have wifi set up for their phone so they aren't incurring data usage in the house.
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:10:05 PM by kelly »
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 09:10:29 PM »

So your cell doesn't use wi-fi in the house? It wouldn't matter who the provider is, but most people have wifi set up for their phone so they aren't incurring data usage in the house.

We asked our cell phone provider about the use of wi-fi, and he told us that in our location in the foothills, we could not get the service.
We depend on the local cell tower located near the freeway a few miles away from us. That is bad as the cars are using it, so our signals are chopped up and smothered leaving us with little to no service. Either we will get no signal or 911 service only. Sometimes we cannot even call 911. I will call a friend, only to be disconnected after a 30 second conversation. They will call us back on our landline, if Verizon is operational and up-to-date fixing their squirrelled lines.

If we truly had an emergency, I guess my husband would have to use his Ham radio. Cannot depend on Verizon or the local cell provider.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:12:34 PM by Maria »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 09:15:15 PM »
Wi-Fi can be set up in your home with the use of a Wi-Fi router. You plug it in to the modem and you would have wi-fi throughout your home. It is a very convenient method of reducing data usage on your phone. If you don't have a wi-fi router, I can only assume that your cell service and your internet disconnects are unrelated. I don't know what would be affecting your cell service apart from poor access to the tower, but your internet disconnects may be the result of a bad modem. They tend to go bad after a few years and need to be replaced. I've had 2 go bad in the 10 years I've lived in my current home.
God bless!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 09:19:44 PM »
Wi-Fi can be set up in your home with the use of a Wi-Fi router. You plug it in to the modem and you would have wi-fi throughout your home. It is a very convenient method of reducing data usage on your phone. If you don't have a wi-fi router, I can only assume that your cell service and your internet disconnects are unrelated. I don't know what would be affecting your cell service apart from poor access to the tower, but your internet disconnects may be the result of a bad modem. They tend to go bad after a few years and need to be replaced. I've had 2 go bad in the 10 years I've lived in my current home.

My husband thinks that it is simply Internet overload by all the teenagers who engage in gaming. It seems to happen between 1 pm to 4 pm every day.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »
I agree with TheTrisagion in that you should consider your modem.  If it is a few years old, ask your Internet provider for a new one.  If that is not it, your husband could be correct.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 06:02:28 PM »
I agree with TheTrisagion in that you should consider your modem.  If it is a few years old, ask your Internet provider for a new one.  If that is not it, your husband could be correct.

Our modem is only three years old. It happened again around 2 pm. Such a pain.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »
You need network equipment that can handle the amount of connected devices in the house. Worked for my house.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »

My husband thinks that it is simply Internet overload by all the teenagers who engage in gaming. It seems to happen between 1 pm to 4 pm every day.

That is also the hottest part of the day - thermal expansion could be loosening the solder joints.  Easiest solution is to keep the router cool.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
The mystery of iniquity.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 09:06:45 PM »
Lately, I have not been able to access the computer without tolerating constant disconnects.

The same thing is happening with my cell phone. Constant interruptions, disconnects and generally bad service.

We are with Verizon.
A couple things.

Just to be clear, if you are talking internet only, what do you mean by disconnects? People use that to mean different things. If you are on Windows,  do you have an icon in the bottom right that looks like a monitor but a red X on it when the "disconnects" occur? If yes, how long does it last til you regain service. Or do you get a yellow traingle with a black exclamation mark?

If they are true disconnects you should see something like that. If its sluggish speeds that's another matter.

Also are you using "interruptions" and "disconnects" interchangably? I suspect you are.

Now if you are talking about interruptions and disconnects on a cell phone that's going to be different in how I could troubleshoot it.

What part of California do you live in? You said foothills so potentially it could be your precise location. I forget the term, but you might be in a spot where cell service is poor but if you go out a few miles its fine. I don't know how accurate those maps are from Verizon in determining signal quality by location.

Your internet and cell service interrupting and disconnecting is a mere coincidence they are unrelated to each other.

For your internet please test over at speedtest.net. Post a screenshot of what your download and upload speeds are. If they are really crappy and you have teenagers gaming during 1pm-4pm when your experience poor service, that may be the reason.

Run the tests when the service is poor during those hours and run another when its working fine. The tests are more so I can see what your actual speeds are. If they are subpar and under heavy load it can cause some issues.

Since its Verizon I imagine it's FiOS which means WiFi is already enabled out of the box. You would have to go in your router settings to turn it off. Usually your signal is protected by WPA2, but I really have no idea what your configurations are, you might have WiFi on but no password meaning anyone could leech your data

Multiple devices connected shouldn't really give you the issues you have.

The most I've had on a single Verizon router are as follows:

Two PCs, one laptop, one gaming console. All were connected over the internet and using data (One PC gaming over the internet and same with the gaming console, downloading music/etc on the other PC, laptop general web use).

And I'm doing all of that at the same time. Never experienced a drop or poor speeds. I was running 75mpbs download and upload. My latency was extremely low in games.

It really could just be a bad location to have those services. There's a lot of variables we don't know about.

Never had a problem with Verizon customer service. Most companies tech support is garbage but maybe bringing up your issue to them could be helpfiul, they can run diagnostics to discern the issue.

Sorry Maria I'd like to go on but I'm posting from a phone and really hate extended messages. But I want to help.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:15:11 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 10:03:56 PM »
The mystery of iniquity.

That would be Comcast, not Verizon.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »
I thought Comcast was the abomination of desolation? Hmm, well either way it sounds like a bad scene.