Author Topic: I wish these people were still posting  (Read 20258 times)

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: I wish these people were still posting
« Reply #180 on: March 05, 2017, 04:20:41 PM »
Feel like torturing her some more?  ;)
What was the torture?
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
I am glad you are happy and not being tortured.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »

What is that supposed to mean, Mor?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:40:17 PM by rakovsky »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2017, 10:06:49 PM »
Feel like torturing her some more?  ;)
What was the torture?

Thanks!  It's because I've given up "debates" with you for the duration of Lent!  ;)
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
It's because I've given up "debates" with you for the duration of Lent!  ;)
I am happy having respectful discussions with you instead of debates.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2017, 11:39:14 PM »

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2017, 11:43:27 PM »

Hmmmm.... Haven't EOs and OOs been saying in our joint dialogues that we have more theologically in common than differences? We also have two ancient apostolic churches, with traditions and apostolic succession going back to the 1st c.

It seems you and I should have many things in common to discuss positively.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:44:00 PM by rakovsky »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2017, 11:49:53 PM »

Hmmmm.... Haven't EOs and OOs been saying in our joint dialogues that we have more theologically in common than differences? We also have two ancient apostolic churches, with traditions and apostolic succession going back to the 1st c.

It seems you and I should have many things in common to discuss positively.

It's not the subject matter that makes discussions with you painful.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2017, 12:12:45 AM »
How do we know unless we try? Let's talk about something you like and that we agree on.
The Lenten forgiveness service is about patching things up.

Peace.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2017, 12:21:06 AM »

I am perplexed  by this as well Rakovsky. Perhaps Antonious Nikolas does not care for respectful discussions.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

• Taxiarches
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2017, 12:45:42 AM »
How do we know unless we try? Let's talk about something you like and that we agree on.
The Lenten forgiveness service is about patching things up.

Peace.

Rakovsky, I don't bear you any ill will at all.  I just don't find conversing with you to be a pleasant experience because of certain tendencies we've already discussed ad nauseam.  Salpy's experience with you was similar, as is evident to anyone who cares to click on any of your debates with her, which is why I reacted as I did to your referencing her here.  You might have noticed that I have replied to you in a friendly fashion recently, but only in threads where I think my reply to you might not end up fueling another of our long and unpleasant exchanges.  For the most part, excepting perhaps my flippant response here, I am being very careful about when and how I reply to you.

I am perplexed  by this as well Rakovsky. Perhaps Antonious Nikolas does not care for respectful discussions.

Allow me to disentangle the knot of your perplexity.  Evidently, you have not been following the exchanges wgw, Iconodule, Mina Soliman, Mor Ephrem, me, and others have been having with our dear rakovsky in recent months.  "Respectful discussions" with him have a tendency to devolve into long, circular and circuitous debates rather quickly and rather reliably.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:47:38 AM by Antonious Nikolas »

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2017, 12:56:21 AM »

Allow me to disentangle the knot of your perplexity.  Evidently, you have not been following the exchanges wgw, Iconodule, Mina Soliman, Mor Ephrem, me, and others have been having with our dear rakovsky in recent months.  "Respectful discussions" with him have a tendency to devolve into long, circular and circuitous debates rather quickly and rather reliably.
The exchanges have involved the basic EO-OO differences of Councils and teaching on the natures. Those kinds of discussions are naturally long, reflected in our churches' centuries of separation, yet they are also an inevitable part of necessary dialogue at the lay level.

Here I am proposing something different. Let's talk positively about things you like and you and I agree on. I think it's neat that you went to seminary, something I never did. You don't have to say where you went or give personal details if you don't want to. This is something positive about you.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
The exchanges have involved the basic EO-OO differences of Councils and teaching on the natures. Those kinds of discussions are naturally long, reflected in our churches' centuries of separation, yet they are also an inevitable part of necessary dialogue at the lay level.

It's not the content of the discussions that I object to, but the tactics you employ in the discussions.  We've been over this.

Here I am proposing something different. Let's talk positively about things you like and you and I agree on. I think it's neat that you went to seminary, something I never did. You don't have to say where you went or give personal details if you don't want to. This is something positive about you.

I don't need to be patronized, rakovsky.  If you want to continue a productive dialogue, I need you to:

1. Start posting in good faith and knock it off with the left-handed compliments to Oriental Orthodoxy.

2. Stop trying to control the course of every discussion we have, excise it from the thread in which it is taking place, and redirect it into the private forum with REPEATED REQUESTS to do so in post after post.

Maybe then, we can make some headway.  I'm not interested in the Stuart Smalley Daily Affirmation routine.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
I need you to:
1. Start posting in good faith and knock it off with the left-handed compliments to Oriental Orthodoxy.
When I said that it's impressive you went to seminary, it wasn't sarcasm. I haven't gone to one myself. I would be interested to hear more of your experiences.

With the Copts, it sounds like you are offended when I said that it's impressive to me that they had monotheism even before they were converted to Christianity. I mean that sincerely. Egypt had the most impressive civilization of the ancient world for thousands of years, Antonious. You go into a major museum dedicated to ancient history in the US, the Egyptian room is commonly the most impressive. That's not a back handed compliment. The most impressive thing my ancestors made in those days was Stonehenge. The Egyptians stopped human sacrifice in 3000 BC. The Chinese stopped it in c. 300 BC and I don't know when the Indo-Europeans did. Roman times?

If you don't like that topic, OK, just tell me, and then you and I can talk about something else.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »

A noble effort, sir! 

• Taxiarches
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »
I need you to:
When I said that it's impressive you went to seminary, it wasn't sarcasm. I haven't gone to one myself. I would be interested to hear more of your experiences.

With the Copts, it sounds like you are offended when I said that it's impressive to me that they had monotheism even before they were converted to Christianity. I mean that sincerely. Egypt had the most impressive civilization of the ancient world for thousands of years, Antonious. You go into a major museum dedicated to ancient history in the US, the Egyptian room is commonly the most impressive. That's not a back handed compliment. The most impressive thing my ancestors made in those days was Stonehenge. The Egyptians stopped human sacrifice in 3000 BC. The Chinese stopped it in c. 300 BC and I don't know when the Indo-Europeans did. Roman times?

If you don't like that topic, OK, just tell me, and then you and I can talk about something else.

I said "left-handed compliments to Oriental Orthodoxy".  I never said anything about Egyptian nationalism or my personal level of theological education.  Please don't pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about.

A noble effort, sir!

One tries!  :)

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »
I said "left-handed compliments to Oriental Orthodoxy".  I never said anything about Egyptian nationalism or my personal level of theological education.  Please don't pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about.
I think you are referring to my past discussions on ancient Egyptian monotheism, because you saw me linking that to Copts as if it were a bad thing. Here I am explaining why I actually saw it as an important spiritual compliment. It's a major positive about the heritage and for me spiritually, not a negative. I believe in one God. It's important to me that such impressive people as ancient Egyptians believed this.

In case you don't want to talk with me about something, it's OK. I would like to talk with you here about nice things we can both relate to.

Peace.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:04:48 PM by rakovsky »

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2017, 07:43:23 PM »
This is the list so far, some of these people have posted since then:

Akimel           
Akimori Makoto         
AMM             
Anastasios     
Ansgar           
Bogoliubtsy   
Celticfan1888
Cephas           
Cognomen     
Deusveritasest           
Dionisii           
Dzheremi       
EkhristosAnesti         
Entscheidungsproblem           
EofK             
Falafel333     
ElijahMaria     
Fr. Chris         
Fr. Kimmel     
Fr. David       
Gebre             
Greek is Christian/GiC           
Grigorii           
Happy Lutheran         
Heorhij           
Hiwot             
Irish Hermit   
Irish Melkite   
Ismiliora         
JamesR           
JamesRottnek             
Jetavan           
Jnorm888       
Kerdy             
Lubeltri         
MardukM       
Matthew777   
Nektarios       
Orthodox11   
Orthonorm     
OzGeorge       
Pasadi             
Pensateomnia
Poppy             
Porter ODoran           
Quinault         
Riddikulus     
Robert           
Romaios         
Rosehip         
Schultz                       
Shanghaiski   
Shiny             
Theistgal         
The Mathematician   
Velikago         
Volnutt           
Xaira 
Yeshuaisiam   
Yterrbiumananalyst   

I am going to add a few more that come to mind (last post included) and one whose voice I am most grateful for.

Xariskai  October 14, 2016   
Basil 320    June 15, 2015
Podkarpatska     September 15, 2016 (returning us to sanity when it was needed)
Dcommini    December 07, 2015

Dcommini mention her in this thread:
Quietmorning      June 17, 2015
Weird, i didnt think i was gone long enough(or missed enough) to be included. looks like i only made a couple posts since the start of the new year

• Taxiarches
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2017, 07:51:29 PM »
I think you are referring...

I'm referring to your general habit of damning the Oriental Orthodox with faint praise and nicely-worded left-handed compliments while simultaneously making us out to be a fascinatingly exotic but ultimately heterodox bunch of weirdos and trying to force every conversation on the issue into the private fora by sheer volume and repeated nagging suggestions to divert the dialogue into new threads you've created for the purposes of controlling the narrative.

In case you don't want to talk with me about something, it's OK. I would like to talk with you here about nice things we can both relate to.

Got any pets?  ;)

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »
I'm referring to your general habit of damning the Oriental Orthodox with faint praise and nicely-worded left-handed compliments while simultaneously making us out to be a fascinatingly exotic
Antonious,
A lot of Americans attracted to Orthodoxy find it exotic as a positive thing. The idea of digging up the treasure of 1st-2nd Christianity instead of staying in the walls of stale barren Reformed Protestantism can be very attractive.
The fact that the Syriac church uses Aramaic and the Liturgy of St James that were common among early Christians is very attractive and fascinating to me, despite them being unfamiliar to me. For me, that's very positive.

If you don't want to talk about some topic, it's OK, we don't have to.

For me, it's also not faint praise to say you went to seminary. I don't have years of such instruction. It's impressive to me. Are you clergy?

Got any pets?  ;)
Our neighbors' daschunds have been like family pets, but it's not quite the same. Also, I grew up with pet gerbils.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2017, 01:08:48 PM »
I'm referring to your general habit of damning the Oriental Orthodox with faint praise and nicely-worded left-handed compliments while simultaneously making us out to be a fascinatingly exotic
Antonious,
A lot of Americans attracted to Orthodoxy find it exotic as a positive thing.

I notice you cut the quote off after the word "exotic", omitting the phrase "but ultimately heterodox".  I also notice that the first sentence in your reply makes reference to the term "Orthodoxy".  Are you admitting then that the Oriental Orthodox are indeed fully Orthodox?

If you don't want to talk about some topic, it's OK, we don't have to.

I'm happy to talk peacefully about any topic provided that you avoid the tactics objected to above by not only myself, but also by a host of other posters.

For me, it's also not faint praise to say you went to seminary. I don't have years of such instruction. It's impressive to me. Are you clergy?

I am a layman who embarked upon and successfully completed a formal study of theology in order to better serve the Church.  An educated laity is very important to the Church.

Our neighbors' daschunds have been like family pets, but it's not quite the same. Also, I grew up with pet gerbils.

I would love to have a paludarium like this, but at present, I don't have the time to maintain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJfY6C7YM2A

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »
Are you admitting then that the Oriental Orthodox are indeed fully Orthodox?
"Orthodox" means "right teaching".
My understanding is that it's right to assert that Christ has two natures and that some OOs like Fr. Peter openly agree with this. Some OOs agree that Chalcedon was correct, like the hierarchs in the Aarhus Joint Statement (https://orthodoxjointcommission.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/aarhus-1964). I understand those OOs' answers to those two basic questions that have been at the root of our schism to be correct and Orthodox.

Iconodule and Mina are also saying that neither issue is essential. I like ecumenism, want OOs to be Orthodox in communion with us, and am glad to consider these issues on another thread. I believe Christians should want to discuss major issues with each other in an open minded, friendly way with a goal of overcoming divisions.

OO churches have traditions going back to the apostles and there are many other good things I can say about them.

I am a layman who embarked upon and successfully completed a formal study of theology in order to better serve the Church.  An educated laity is very important to the Church.
In some ways your decision to go to seminary is even more  spiritually appealing, because there was no professional aspect (financial compensation) from your end.

I would love to have a paludarium like this, but at present, I don't have the time to maintain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJfY6C7YM2A
That's awesome.

I have something like the images below, but with twice as many plants and bigger. It's pretty vegetarian because I keep the lid on. But guests like to tickle it with their fingers.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:29:35 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
Visiting my family in Borneo this year, it was pretty cool to see pitcher plants growing wild on the hills.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
Visiting my family in Borneo this year, it was pretty cool to see pitcher plants growing wild on the hills.
They are the Nepenthes.

"these vines can grow to as much as 50 feet in length. The pitchers of this monster are a foot in length and some of them are able to hold four quarts of liquid inside them. "
http://www.historicmysteries.com/carnivorous-plants/

The pitchers in my collection are just North American Sarracenia.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:07:38 PM by rakovsky »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
"Orthodox" means "right teaching".

And do you believe that our communion as a whole holds to "right teaching"?

My understanding is that it's right to assert that Christ has two natures and that some OOs like Fr. Peter openly agree with this.

Some Oriental Orthodox?  What about our communion as a whole?  Would you say that our communion constitutes an Orthodox Church?  Or do you think that people like Fr. Peter are outliers?

Some OOs agree that Chalcedon was correct, like the hierarchs in the Aarhus Joint Statement (https://orthodoxjointcommission.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/aarhus-1964).

I wouldn't read that statement as agreeing that "Chalcedon was correct" in every respect.  Rather, it seems to be acknowledging that the council did not produce a heretical statement of faith and is best viewed as a stage "in an integral development and no council or event should be studied in isolation" reaffirming Ephesus 431 and viewed through the lens of the clarifications made at Constantinople 553.

I understand those OOs' answers to those two basic questions that have been at the root of our schism to be correct and Orthodox

Again, I must ask if you think "those OOs" are outliers or if our communion on the whole holds to Orthodox teaching on these points you deem so crucial?

I like ecumenism, want OOs to be Orthodox in communion with us

What does this mean?  Do you think we are presently Orthodox not in communion with you?  Or do you think we are presently neither Orthodox nor in communion with you?

OO churches have traditions going back to the apostles and there are many other good things I can say about them.

I don't consider this to be a complimentary statement at all, since the same could be said of some of the older heterodox communions.  Do you think that on the whole we are heterodox?

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
I understand those OOs' answers to those two basic questions that have been at the root of our schism to be correct and Orthodox

I must ask if you think "those OOs" are outliers or if our communion on the whole holds to Orthodox teaching on these points you deem so crucial?
Antonius,
I respect Fr. Peter as an authority to teach about your church, and I respect your hierarchs' acceptance of Chalcedon's orthodoxy in the EO-OO joint statement.

A more exact answer about how indicative they are of other OOs' positions on those two questions is something I do want to find out myself. I sincerely invite you to discuss it in threads like this one:
POLL: Do Oriental Orthodox Teach that Christ Has Two Essences, Divine & Human?
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,71012.0.html

I am asking because I don't know the answer to this question, but Fr. Peter wrote that one reason for the schism was that EOs and OOs had different terminologies, with EOs thinking "physia"/nature meant essence, and OOs thinking "physia"/nature meant "hypostasis", as in the Chalcedon's declaration of "one hypostasis".

Have you had some experience with terrariums or acquatic pets? Your video was interesting.

Peace.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:41:05 PM by rakovsky »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »

I must ask if you think "those OOs" are outliers or if our communion on the whole holds to Orthodox teaching on these points you deem so crucial?
Antonius,
I respect Fr. Peter as an authority to teach about your church, and I respect your hierarchs' acceptance of Chalcedon's orthodoxy in the EO-OO joint statement.

A more exact answer about how indicative they are of other OOs' positions on those two questions is something I do want to find out myself. I sincerely invite you to discuss it in threads like this one:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,71012.0.html

I am asking because I don't know the answer to this question, but Fr. Peter wrote that one reason for the schism was that EOs and OOs had different terminologies, with EOs thinking "physia"/nature meant essence, and OOs thinking "physia"/nature meant "hypostasis", as in the Chalcedon's declaration of "one hypostasis".

So what does that mean in clear, simple terms?  The jury is still out for you as to whether our Church is an Orthodox Church or not?

I also respect Fr. Peter as an authority to teach about my Church, and I can also agree with the statements of my hierarchs at Aarhus.  That said, saying that a few individuals within my Church are orthodox is not the same thing as saying that my Church is orthodox.  There are individuals within your own Church, for example, but I am sure you would admit hold to heterodox ideas.  I'm sure that you would not say, however, that this makes your entire communion heterodox.  By the same token, saying that Father Peter is orthodox does not mean that you think the Coptic Church is Orthodox.  So, as I asked above, is the jury still out for you on our Orthodoxy?

Have you had some experience with terrariums or acquatic pets? Your video was interesting.

Yes.  I used to have a couple of them when I was a boy.  I've been itching to take the hobby up again, but haven't at present the time.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #210 on: March 08, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »
So what does that mean in clear, simple terms?  The jury is still out for you as to whether our Church is an Orthodox Church or not?

I also respect Fr. Peter as an authority to teach about my Church, and I can also agree with the statements of my hierarchs at Aarhus.  That said, saying that a few individuals within my Church are orthodox is not the same thing as saying that my Church is orthodox.  There are individuals within your own Church, for example, but I am sure you would admit hold to heterodox ideas.  I'm sure that you would not say, however, that this makes your entire communion heterodox.  By the same token, saying that Father Peter is orthodox does not mean that you think the Coptic Church is Orthodox.  So, as I asked above, is the jury still out for you on our Orthodoxy?
It means that the people who agree with Fr Peter and the Joint Commission would be giving Orthodox correct answers to the two root questions, and that I am asking you for another thread what portion of OOs agree with them, and that I am open to dialogue about whether the jury should still be out as to those who dis agree with them. I am eager to have that discussion with you. That is the most ecumenical, precise, deepest answer.

Fr Peter F and WGW agree that Christ has two natures and they want their church to formally accept Chalcedon, and since those are the two basic issues of division, that makes them both Orthodox, to the best of my understanding. As to how many OOS agree with them and whether these questions are essential to identifying Orthodoxy, those are the questions I am asking you for another thread.

Yes.  I used to have a couple of them when I was a boy.  I've been itching to take the hobby up again, but haven't at present the time.
What kinds did you have?

Is it very dry where you live and freeze in the winter?

Peace.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:07:41 AM by rakovsky »

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2017, 01:33:14 AM »
I miss rakovsky. I wish he was still posting, even though he just posted here, two hours ago. :P
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #212 on: March 09, 2017, 01:37:36 AM »
I like ByHisGrace.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #213 on: March 09, 2017, 03:20:00 AM »
Ebor

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #214 on: March 09, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »

It's not the content of the discussions that I object to, but the tactics you employ in the discussions.  We've been over this.

I don't need to be patronized, rakovsky.  If you want to continue a productive dialogue, I need you to:

2. Stop trying to control the course of every discussion we have, excise it from the thread in which it is taking place, and redirect it into the private forum with REPEATED REQUESTS to do so in post after post.

Maybe then, we can make some headway.  I'm not interested in the Stuart Smalley Daily Affirmation routine.

seems to go round and round.
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

• Taxiarches
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #217 on: March 09, 2017, 11:20:40 AM »
This is the list so far, some of these people have posted since then:

Akimel           
Akimori Makoto         
AMM             
Anastasios     
Ansgar           
Bogoliubtsy   
Celticfan1888
Cephas           
Cognomen     
Deusveritasest           
Dionisii           
Dzheremi       
EkhristosAnesti         
Entscheidungsproblem           
EofK             
Falafel333     
ElijahMaria     
Fr. Chris         
Fr. Kimmel     
Fr. David       
Gebre             
Greek is Christian/GiC           
Grigorii           
Happy Lutheran         
Heorhij           
Hiwot             
Irish Hermit   
Irish Melkite   
Ismiliora         
JamesR           
JamesRottnek             
Jetavan           
Jnorm888       
Kerdy             
Lubeltri         
MardukM       
Matthew777   
Nektarios       
Orthodox11   
Orthonorm     
OzGeorge       
Pasadi             
Pensateomnia
Poppy             
Porter ODoran           
Quinault         
Riddikulus     
Robert           
Romaios         
Rosehip         
Schultz                       
Shanghaiski   
Shiny             
Theistgal         
The Mathematician   
Velikago         
Volnutt           
Xaira 
Yeshuaisiam   
Yterrbiumananalyst   

I am going to add a few more that come to mind (last post included) and one whose voice I am most grateful for.

Xariskai  October 14, 2016   
Basil 320    June 15, 2015
Podkarpatska     September 15, 2016 (returning us to sanity when it was needed)
Dcommini    December 07, 2015

Dcommini mention her in this thread:
Quietmorning      June 17, 2015

FWIW, I happen to know Dcommini is doing quite well. He updates his blog fairly regularly, but finding play-time on the internet is probably tricky these days.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Remnkemi

• Elder
« Reply #218 on: March 09, 2017, 11:53:39 AM »

Fr Peter F and WGW agree that Christ has two natures and they want their church to formally accept Chalcedon,
This is your probem Rakovsky. We are still repeating the same answers and you keep re-asking or assuming it was answered the way you want. You're just not listening.

No one among the OO has stated Christ did not have two natures. No OO has ever denied the double consubstantiality of Christ. It is how to understand these two natures after the hypostatic union that is the conflict. Chalcedon insisted that there is one and only one way to understand this with the phrase "in two natures", which was later downplayed in 5th Council that approved "out of two natures". Thus, formally accepting Chalcedon has a lot of hidden nuances and meanings that most EO's don't bother to examine or understand.

Also provide any references where Fr Peter or wgw said they want OO to formally accept Chalcedon (in another thread). Without explaining what formal acceptance means exactly to you, to EO's in general, to OOs in general and to these particular OO's, you are implying that important and influential OO individuals agree that acceptance of Chalcedon is required or even desirable - and by extension anyone who does not agree with whatever that "universal" definition of formal acceptance is - is heterodox including Synods and entire OO communities.

Regardless, this thread is about people we wish were still posting, not wishing people would stop posting circular arguments.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #219 on: March 09, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »
Fr Peter F and WGW agree that Christ has two natures and they want their church to formally accept Chalcedon

Would you care to provide any substantiation to this astonishing assertion?
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

• Taxiarches
« Reply #220 on: March 09, 2017, 12:02:11 PM »

It means that the people who agree with Fr Peter and the Joint Commission would be giving Orthodox correct answers to the two root questions, and that I am asking you for another thread what portion of OOs agree with them, and that I am open to dialogue about whether the jury should still be out as to those who dis agree with them. I am eager to have that discussion with you. That is the most ecumenical, precise, deepest answer.

Fr Peter F and WGW agree that Christ has two natures and they want their church to formally accept Chalcedon, and since those are the two basic issues of division, that makes them both Orthodox, to the best of my understanding. As to how many OOS agree with them and whether these questions are essential to identifying Orthodoxy, those are the questions I am asking you for another thread.

So basically, you don't know if we are an Orthodox communion yet and want to study the matter more.  I must say that this will be difficult to do if you keep...how do I say this?...hearing things the way you want to hear them and consistently turning a deaf ear to counterpoints made to some of your core misunderstandings arguments.

And accepting Chalcedon (and, I would imagine, the remainder of the 7 or 9 councils held to by the EO) as Ecumenical would be a precondition for the reestablishment of unity for you?  In other words, the OO are not Orthodox at this point, but might become so by becoming EO (that is to say, forming accepting the 7 or 9 councils as binding and ecumenical)?

What kinds did you have?

Is it very dry where you live and freeze in the winter?

Peace.

I had something approaching the set-up in the video, with a nice filter system and a nice mixture of aquatic and terrestrial habitats for the amphibious creatures I kept there.  Regardless of the weather outside, I was able to keep the temperature in the habitat comfortable for its inhabitants.

How was life for your gerbils?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:02:42 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #221 on: March 09, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »

FWIW, I happen to know Dcommini is doing quite well. He updates his blog fairly regularly, but finding play-time on the internet is probably tricky these days.

Thanks for the blog link.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

• Taxiarches
« Reply #222 on: March 09, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »
This is your probem Rakovsky. We are still repeating the same answers and you keep re-asking or assuming it was answered the way you want. You're just not listening.

+1

This in a nutshell, rakovsky, is the essence of why our interactions on the topic of matters pertaining to the EO and the OO have been and will likely continue to be a relatively unpleasant affair.  Several posters - EO and OO - have repeated this selfsame criticism to you in a variety of ways, and you refuse to even acknowledge it as valid.  If one person tells you your breath stinks, maybe he's just being a jerk, but when you get up to seven people or so, maybe you should invest in a toothbrush and a tube of Crest.  Just a thought.  :)

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #223 on: March 09, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »
So basically, you don't know if we are an Orthodox communion yet and want to study the matter more.  I must say that this will be difficult to do if you keep...how do I say this?...hearing things the way you want to hear them and consistently turning a deaf ear to counterpoints made to some of your core arguments.
I care about you and the OO Churches. I think Christians should unite. I like how they have traditions going back to the apostles and it's very attractive to me how they have kept some that for whatever reason have been lost by or put aside over time by the EO Churches (eg. use of Aramaic, liturgy of St. James). This is my motive or overall source of my desire.

Iconodule's and Mina's ideas that "having/being in two natures" and formal acceptance of Chalcedon are not essential issues to identifying Orthodoxy are personally appealing to me. That is how I "want to hear things". Were it up to me, Antonious, I would use common faith in Christ-God and the Branch Theory to declare the OO, RC, ACOE, Anglican, and Lutheran Churches legitimate and have communion with them. Maybe WGW would agree, because he has emphasized ecumenism intensely. I went to communion at a Coptic church once, but they denied me.

My obstacle, Antonious, is that I know I can't decide Orthodoxy based on my wants. To the best of my knowledge based on readings, classes, and interactions, Orthodoxy focuses on a Conciliar approach to tradition, theology, and ecclesiology. The issue is not even whether "Ecumenical Councils" are infallible, but that they are commonly considered basic pillars of theology and ecclesial self-identification and boundaries, second in authority to the Bible in terms of Tradition. eg.:
There were heretical or schismatic groups going their own way, the Church, through ecumenical councils, could keep her unity and settle the orthodox faith. (Orthodoxy - Coptic Orthodox Church - A Brief History of the Christian Church, http://lacopts.org/orthodoxy/coptic-orthodox-church/brief-history/)
In case you have a different understanding of the importance of councils or have counterpoints, I happily invite you to discuss them on another thread.

And accepting Chalcedon (and, I would imagine, the remainder of the 7 or 9 councils held to by the EO) as Ecumenical would be a precondition for the reestablishment of unity for you?  In other words, the OO are not Orthodox at this point, but might become so by becoming EO (that is to say, forming accepting the 7 or 9 councils as binding and ecumenical)?
My understanding based on the above Conciliarism is that if the 7 councils were (A) correct and (B) ecumenical, Orthodox would continue to accept them, whereas otherwise Orthodox (A) would reject them or (B) could ignore them, respectively.
I am happy discussing elsewhere why I think Orthodoxy has strong Conciliarism and why Chalcedon is ecumenical, and as the Joint EO-OO Statement says, fundamentally correct.
It's an important, interesting topic, so I am glad to discuss it with you in a thread dedicated to that.

I had something approaching the set-up in the video, with a nice filter system and a nice mixture of aquatic and terrestrial habitats for the amphibious creatures I kept there.  Regardless of the weather outside, I was able to keep the temperature in the habitat comfortable for its inhabitants.

How was life for your gerbils?
What amphibians did you have? We dammed up the drainage ditch near our house, and it was a cool place for tadpoles.

Two things I learned about gerbils: When you get male and female together, they make a ton of babies. We are looking at 8 babies per litter, 12 litters per year, for maybe 2.5 years total. That's 240 babies.

The other thing is that when you separate the parents to stop the litters, the mother goes gerbil-criminally insane and bites those babies who habitually choose to crawl out of the nest, so that they in turn grow up to be severe biters, which is unnatural for gerbils.

Best thing is if you hold them often when they are so little that they are still blind. When that happens you can get a soul-friend for life.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:31:44 PM by rakovsky »

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »
Dear Remnkemi,

In keeping with your request, in the thread below, I provided you a citation for where Fr. Peter wrote a proposal for accepting Chalcedon in agreement with the joint EO-OO agreement at Aarhus that Chalcedon was orthodox:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,68832.new.html#new

I also provided citations where
OO has stated Christ did not have two natures.
And where Chalcedon gave many different ways to discuss the two natures after the union so that there is not
one and only one way to understand this with the phrase "in two natures",
I also discussed
what formal acceptance means

In case you disagree with me, it's OK and I am happy to discuss it, but my request is that you do so on another thread, like the one I linked to above.

Since you wrote: "No OO has ever denied the double consubstantiality of Christ", I would like to ask you whether this means He "united His essence to human essence thereby making" two essences, in the thread below:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,71012.msg1447548.html#msg1447548

Regards.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:13:51 PM by rakovsky »