OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women bishops  (Read 1545 times) Average Rating: 0
joe77

« on: July 15, 2005, 11:02:24 AM »

Dear friends
             i would like to know  whats is the response of  Orthodox churchs about ordination of women bishops in COE.Recently Church of England agreed in terms to  remove obstructions for ordination of women bishops.It wont be long before they ordine women bishops i am not sure they copy this to all Aglican community  specialy  in Africa India ect.

NULL
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »

They can do whatever they like.

If someone tries to do the same thing in the Orthodox church though, they'll be excommunicated quick smart.

John
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 02:42:08 PM »

Thats true but my Archbishop (GOC in Canada) has stated that he found this ancient document of one of the main councils and one of the names on the list of bishops was a womens name. I asked the priest if maybe the woman was an Empress but he said no. I don't beleive that oru church has every had female bishops but perhaps this mystery woman was an abess from a monastery and had the blessign to attend the council.

On a similar note some Catholcis believe that an early Roman Pope was a woman named Joan...
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 02:49:46 PM »

On a similar note some Catholcis believe that an early Roman Pope was a woman named Joan...

That is a myth that has been thoroughly discredited, but is so prevalent that it is not surprising and is perfectly understandable that you have heard it.  If you are interested in finding out more about how this legend came about, I would suggest you go to www.catholic.com and type in a search for "Pope Joan."

In Christ,

Anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 04:25:13 PM »

I'm not surprised by what the CoE is doing.  It only seem like the next natural step for them to take.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Michael

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 03:22:06 AM »

Should this be in the "Liturgy" section?  It's just a little confusing - that's all.  I was expecting a discussion on the liturgical differences that would arise if a woman were to celebrate a Pontifical Mass.  Would she wear a zuchetto, for example?  How would she be addressed? ...and things like that.  I would have thought that the News section, or perhaps the "Free for All" would have been more fitting.
joe77

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 08:54:13 AM »

Hi Michael
             it was an accident  didnt realise untill it posted.
I indain church we dont even let female enter in  altar i wonder whats the theolgy behind this seperation in preisthood  and ordinations  for women.In RC nuns in east and comon wemon in west are allowed to  give communion.do women have any such rights in Orthdox community.

NULL
Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 10:25:33 AM »

Not to worry.  I wasn't criticising, but merely expressing my confusion.

I don't think it's a matter of rights, for male or female.  Nobody has the right to be ordained - it is a Sacramental reality which is in response to a call by God, for which only men are possible candidates.

A bishop could perform the entire rite of ordination, with all of the anointings and all of the prayers, and even vest her as a priest, but nothing would happen - the Sacrament would not be conferred, not because women are in any way deficient as human beings and Gods children, for they are not.  Women have a valid ministry in the Church and sometimes are much better than men are in our ministries, but this isn't simply a question of ministry - this is a question of the effectualness of the Sacrament.

A bishop performing the rite of ordination on a woman would be much the same as a priest offering the Mass but using a chocolate bar instead of bread: nothing would happen.

I have posted some thoughts about the recent CofE decision in my blog.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 10:25:53 AM by Michael » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: