OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:14:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headscarves Tips  (Read 9131 times) Average Rating: 0
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2005, 04:32:38 PM »

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
I feel that people ought to lay off of the sarcasm with StephenG.  This is a forum where people (mostly christians) come to offer their views on said subjects.  Choirfiend,  I am a woman who happens to wear a scarf in church, however I do not see that a man should be denied the ability to comment on modesty for men AND women.  Obviously for you, you feel your head need not be covered; which is fine.  But you need to realize that there are others who feel otherwise.  For some women (including myself) wearing a head covering is a sign of respect when in the house of God (especially since His holy Body and Blood is on the altar).  Walking around on the street I leave my head uncovered...but when I walk into church I feel a need to offer as much deference and respect  to my Lord as is possible for this sinful woman.   Pray for me.
in all sincerity,   Juliana
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »

Oh, I'm totally on your side. Wear your headcovering and let no one denigrate you for it. But also let not someone say that not wearing a headcovering is immodest. Modesty is truely a trait that has as much to do with the heart as it does with the skin. Headcoverings were never a part of any parish I have attended. I do not wear one on a regular basis but I have worn them when requested to. Whether or not someone wears one is simply not an issue in my life; those who make it an issue, who criticize others for it, cause many distress and few comfort.

Qui cantat, bis orat
jlerms
High Elder

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2005, 05:16:50 PM »

Jennifer,  Thank you for the clarification.  May God bless you and your family!    Smiley   Juliana
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2005, 06:08:48 PM »

Sarcasm? Who said anything about sarcasm? I was dead serious.

Seriously though, dont take anything you read on an internet message board too seriously, it's all done in good fun (usually) Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2005, 06:48:50 PM »

Maybe we shold start having our women wear biking helmets instead.  Thats trendy.  Roll Eyes Undecided Wink

Truly, if a woman wants to wear one, it's cool.  If she dont, 's all good.  Just make sure it's quo where you go.

Peace.

Ian Lazarus

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2005, 06:59:48 PM »

Juliana,

I think you were speaking to me, but I'm not Jennifer:) Thanks though.  Btw, I love your name, it's on my list of girls names Smiley (Not that I am having children any time soon) Some people see sarcasm, I see humor (I'm very sarcastic, though).

Qui cantat, bis orat
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2005, 08:08:17 PM »

Some people see sarcasm, I see humor (I'm very sarcastic, though).

When I read GiC's pants rant, I actually *did* LOL.

It was (by my low standards Wink) a very humorous---and yet thought provoking---post.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 08:08:58 PM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
jlerms
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2005, 11:30:15 PM »

Choirfiend,   
   Whoops!  The earlier message was intended for you...my brain misfired.  Tongue  My father named all the girls in my family (my sisters names are Candace and Deirdre) and my mother named all the boys.  By the way, would you mind revealing your name?  It seems odd to call you CF.
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2005, 03:32:18 AM »

But I like CF.....I had another nickname on another forum a long time ago that was CW....it makes me feel loved:)

Qui cantat, bis orat
StephenG

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2005, 06:53:53 PM »

Among other things I referred to men and women and the need for worshippers to dress modestly. Immodest dress in church has sadly become more and more common. So my point certainly went a little further than headscarves but I will stick to my point, i.e. if personal preference is the hallmark were then is the boundary? As to the tendency among a small group to dress in what might not unreasonably be regarded as eccentric, I hold no brief for this whatsoever.

As to the wearing of a toga, I assume the 'witty' contributor meant a 'tunica'? That would certainly make heads turn. Hardly appropriate in church, at a fancy dress party maybe!

I had came to this forum to learn, but on first acquaintance it appears this might be a little misplaced.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2005, 08:37:17 PM »

As to the wearing of a toga, I assume the 'witty' contributor meant a 'tunica'? That would certainly make heads turn. Hardly appropriate in church, at a fancy dress party maybe!

And in most Orthodox Churches I've been to, wearing a headscarf would certainly make heads turn, and comments would be made under hushed voices...especially if the woman wearing it was under 60.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
StephenG

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2005, 11:54:02 AM »

Oh, dear, in innocence I enter a thread and then things get a little excitable.

First, perhaps in the beginning I failed to make myself clear. The word 'modest' is not the same as the word indecent. Indeed in the modest dictionary I keep by the PC the word's meaning is listed as

- having a humble opion of oneself or one's accomplishments

- not extreme or excessive

- not ostentatious or pretentious

- shy or easily embarassed

- not revealing much of the body: a modest dress

In many countries, and not just the USA, the clothing worn in church by some, whether male or female, might hardly be described as modest if reference might be made to the above definitions of the word. In some people appear to 'ape' a fashion they imagine Russian peasants wore in the 1800s(?), in others the clothing reveals or clings excessively. In yet others the clothes are quite literally ostentatious.

Overtight or scimpy clothes render the making of bows or prostrations difficult, impossible or probably indecent. And should we dress modestly for Him to whom we have drawn near to worship or to meet with the approval of the fashion sense of our peers? On that basis perhaps we should restrict our sins to those which meet with the approval too of them?

There has been a moving away over some years from a more modest appearance in church I believe. Where did it start? A reaction in some places to the pressures on women by Muslim zealots, or with initially the leaving off of headcoverings by women and jackets by the men?

I write none of this to be provocative or to judge. Because judgement is reserved to Him who call all to judgement, but given the topic of headscarves was raised and then broadened a little it appeared a reasonable place in which to post. I believe that if we were invited to the White House or some such place we would take great care, and read the dress code guidelines with singular care; and yet we dare to enter before Him who created all and  dress according to our personal preference, preferring the social mores of the society around us and our peers to a Christian response.

Others may feel differently, I acknowledge. But giving the 'butt out, buster' messaage and heavy sarcasm is okay but forgive me if I take time to adjust.
chatelaa

Faith: Orthodox Christian (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia)

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »

I noticed that this is an 'old' topic...and I'm new to the group (relatively), but I'd like to make a comment that even though I'm normally a person (older--I'm 64) who considers herself to be modern, I just love the idea of wearing a head scarf to church.  It feels very reverant to do so. Perhaps it's because I was raised a Roman Catholic during the 1950's and women always covered their heads.    Jennifer, if you are still here, I'd like to say that I was/am happy to see this as a topic because I just purchased some headscarves and have to figure out how to tie them.  When I was very little and living in Canada, it was fashionable to wear a headscarf tied under the chin and I might just still wear the scarves that way (it's also 'Russian style').  By the way, I'm ROCOR, so it's highly encouraged for women to wear head scarves.  The priest at my Church also suggests mantilla's (sp?) which is also a hold-over from my Catholic days.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

Man, where can I get some layman's robes?

I'm such a sinner for wearing jeans to my Antiochian Church!

Seriously though, the option would be nice.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »

I noticed that this is an 'old' topic...and I'm new to the group (relatively), but I'd like to make a comment that even though I'm normally a person (older--I'm 64) who considers herself to be modern, I just love the idea of wearing a head scarf to church.  It feels very reverant to do so. Perhaps it's because I was raised a Roman Catholic during the 1950's and women always covered their heads.    Jennifer, if you are still here, I'd like to say that I was/am happy to see this as a topic because I just purchased some headscarves and have to figure out how to tie them.  When I was very little and living in Canada, it was fashionable to wear a headscarf tied under the chin and I might just still wear the scarves that way (it's also 'Russian style').  By the way, I'm ROCOR, so it's highly encouraged for women to wear head scarves.  The priest at my Church also suggests mantilla's (sp?) which is also a hold-over from my Catholic days.

Welcome to the forum, chatelaa! I love wearing headscarves too, and they're so pretty tied under the chin. I always see it as a blessing that our Church continues on with this wonderful tradition!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »

Oh, dear, in innocence I enter a thread and then things get a little excitable.

First, perhaps in the beginning I failed to make myself clear. The word 'modest' is not the same as the word indecent. Indeed in the modest dictionary I keep by the PC the word's meaning is listed as

- having a humble opion of oneself or one's accomplishments

- not extreme or excessive

- not ostentatious or pretentious

- shy or easily embarassed

- not revealing much of the body: a modest dress

In many countries, and not just the USA, the clothing worn in church by some, whether male or female, might hardly be described as modest if reference might be made to the above definitions of the word. In some people appear to 'ape' a fashion they imagine Russian peasants wore in the 1800s(?), in others the clothing reveals or clings excessively. In yet others the clothes are quite literally ostentatious.

Overtight or scimpy clothes render the making of bows or prostrations difficult, impossible or probably indecent. And should we dress modestly for Him to whom we have drawn near to worship or to meet with the approval of the fashion sense of our peers? On that basis perhaps we should restrict our sins to those which meet with the approval too of them?

There has been a moving away over some years from a more modest appearance in church I believe. Where did it start? A reaction in some places to the pressures on women by Muslim zealots, or with initially the leaving off of headcoverings by women and jackets by the men?

I write none of this to be provocative or to judge. Because judgement is reserved to Him who call all to judgement, but given the topic of headscarves was raised and then broadened a little it appeared a reasonable place in which to post. I believe that if we were invited to the White House or some such place we would take great care, and read the dress code guidelines with singular care; and yet we dare to enter before Him who created all and  dress according to our personal preference, preferring the social mores of the society around us and our peers to a Christian response.

Others may feel differently, I acknowledge. But giving the 'butt out, buster' messaage and heavy sarcasm is okay but forgive me if I take time to adjust.

I am with you on this. "Modesty" is key to our appearance and conduct, especially in Church. The headscarf issue is only a minor part of the struggle to be or become modest. However, a bigger problem is that our current culture encourages us to be individualistic, which is not such a bad thing in itself, but to the point of becoming overly defensive to any real or perceived criticism.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags: modernists headcovering headscarves GreekIsPagan proper behavior yia yia head coverings 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: