OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:58:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yuns Guys Don't Measure Distance in Hours?  (Read 1826 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« on: April 29, 2010, 02:59:06 PM »

I recently saw a video of South Western Pennsylvanian peculiarities, and one of them was that we measure distance in hours. For example, instead of saying "it's about 100 miles away," we'll instead say "it's about a 2 hour drive". Don't yuns guys in other parts of the country do that to?

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:03:20 PM »

LOL!

I was just talking to a friend of mine down here, a born-and-bred Marylander, who asked me how far Columbus, OH was from Baltimore.  I did some quick math in head and said, "Oh, about six and a half hours, give or take a half-hour".

"I mean how many miles," he replied.

"Hmm...I guess about 400 or so, going by the time it would take," I reasoned.

He didn't believe me, pulled out his Blackberry and googled it.  

According to GoogleMaps, following I-70... 409 miles.

He looked at me and shook his head, saying, "You're weird, but you're a useful weird."

What's the name of this video, btw?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:03:38 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »

That's pretty common in Southern Missouri, too.  Sometimes it's mentally easier to count down the hours of driving through miles of meth-addled trailers and broken down cars rather than watching the miles add up.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »

I usually give it in both.

Example:

"How far away is the college from your house?"

"About 16 miles, so about 20 minutes."

I usually like to give both, because depending on the route a person is taking (highway verses back-roads), it could be vary in time.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »

He looked at me and shook his head, saying, "You're weird, but you're a useful weird."

What's the name of this video, btw?

Lol Smiley Here's the vid.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »

I hear it both in hours or miles.  I don't mind either.  Usually the only time miles sort of matter is if you are trying to figure out how much poorer you'll be after driving there and using expensive gasoline.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »

That's pretty common in Southern Missouri, too.  Sometimes it's mentally easier to count down the hours of driving through miles of meth-addled trailers and broken down cars rather than watching the miles add up.

I usually give it in both.

Example:

"How far away is the college from your house?"

"About 16 miles, so about 20 minutes."

I usually like to give both, because depending on the route a person is taking (highway verses back-roads), it could be vary in time.

I hear it both in hours or miles.  I don't mind either.  Usually the only time miles sort of matter is if you are trying to figure out how much poorer you'll be after driving there and using expensive gasoline.

Glad to know that we're not peculiar then on the point Smiley

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:19:35 PM »

Try kilometres.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »

Try kilometres.

That's what those silly runners use when they talk about how far they run, right? Like they can't say 3.1 miles, they have to say 5k?  Tongue

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 03:36:39 PM »

I recently saw a video of South Western Pennsylvanian peculiarities, and one of them was that we measure distance in hours. For example, instead of saying "it's about 100 miles away," we'll instead say "it's about a 2 hour drive". Don't yuns guys in other parts of the country do that to?

We Michiganders measure distance in time. I've rarely heard anyone tell me how many miles away something is. Somebody asks for directions here: "Sir, do you know how far it is to Lansing?" and the reply (at least from where I live) "Oh its about 90 minutes away." "But how many miles?" "I told you already! About 90 minutes!" If someone tells me to go so many miles, I have to ask how many minutes it takes.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »

Haha, I thought everyone else used time too.. Wow!

Too much time in the Valley, I suppose...?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »

That's pretty common in Southern Missouri, too. 

It's not just common, it's the Gospel; 'less you're one of them there out-of-state foreigners.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »

Sure. Out west in Montana and other states we measure distance by time all the time.  Times are also variable depending on if it's a Montanan or visitor driving, weather conditions (longer in snow) and if the route is on the plains or through mountains.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 02:32:02 AM »

My phone is a gps as well. I don't need to ask people how far away places are come to think about it

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »

We give the distance in hours and "with heavy traffic" hours. So from Seattle to Portland is "3.5-5 hours, depending upon traffic."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: