OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 10:14:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Cruise and Scientology...thoughts anyone?  (Read 3660 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: July 01, 2005, 08:40:58 AM »

I read this little blurb on yesterday and given the "back and forth" between Tom Cruise and just about everyone else, I figured we might have some fun with this subject. 

Scientologists believe that 75 million years ago an evil galactic ruler, named Xenu, solved overpopulation by bringing trillions of people to Earth in DC-8 space planes, stacking them around volcanoes and nuking them. Then the souls of these dead space aliens were captured and boxed up and taken to cinemas where they were shown films of what life should be like, false ideas containing God, the devil and Christ and told to get ill.

After that they supposedly clustered together and now inhabit our bodies. Scientologists believe that if they rid themselves of these body thetans then they will be healthier and will gain special powers like mind-over-matter.

Some Scientologists spend $360,000 for all this. None of them gain any special powers except the power to delude themselves.

Any thoughts?

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 09:27:17 AM »

Some Scientologists spend $360,000 for all this.

Well I'm certainly in the wrong business! I never realized how lucrative peddling heresies to rich people can be! I think I'll start an internet store selling red kabbalah thread and crystal driven dianetic electronic organisers.....

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 09:41:50 AM »

http://freekatie.net/

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 10:32:52 AM »

Well I'm certainly in the wrong business! I never realized how lucrative peddling heresies to rich people can be! I think I'll start an internet store selling red kabbalah thread and crystal driven dianetic electronic organisers.....

Partners???

Anyone want to get rid of some thetans?

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Esteban

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 11:27:05 AM »

I KNOW! *weeps* Why Katie! Oh, why! :'(  Grin

Meanwhile, my godfather, who was a priest in Hollywood for almost ten years, knew this local printer who was the first to print Scientology materials for L. Ron Hubbard. This guy would say that Hubbard would pay very well, and that Hubbard would tell him about how he was making up Scientology. He'd would laugh all the way to bank! It's something, I tell ya.

Also, re: Tom "Dirty Old Man" Cruise's comments:

"Father Time" Cruise: "Psychiatry is a pseudo-science."
Lewis Black: "Unlike Scientology. I mean, that's got 'science' right in the name!"

"Grandpa" Cruise: "There's no such thing as a chemical imbalance."
Lewis Black: "No? Then what do you call what's happening to you right now?!"

He also said to Lauer: "You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do." Well, whodda thunk that we can proclaim ourselves experts on a topic after having run a random internet search and having read the pertinent volume of the "...For Dummies" series? Why, he sounds a lot a like a comparative literature professor: lots of claims of expertise, but very little backing!  Wink

"This life has been given to you for repentance. Do not waste it in vain pursuits."

--St Isaac the Syrian
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 11:39:31 AM »

LOL that free katie site is a riot...im takin a science fiction class at my college right now, and L. Ron Hubbard was on the list of sci fi authors from the "Golden Age of Sci Fi" which was like mid 1930s - mid 1950s, or something...well a lot of us started chuckling about scientology...all i kept thinking was, "it's science FICTION...note the second word there...i.e. NOT REAL!" it's sucha joke...but when i saw a headline that read: "Tom and Katie talk of Scientology Wedding" i was completely fascinated w/ the idea - what on earth (or off it) would a scientology wedding be like??...i REALLY hope there are photos taken at that! (if it happens) i wish i could hear what the "service" is like too - oy talk about a circus!

hmmmm...
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 11:52:50 AM »

And all these people find Orthodox Christianity unbelievable.  Go figure.  Its too difficult to fanthom the Virgin birth, but alien souls cohabitating in our bodies, now that's logical.  PT Barnum was right, "There's a sucker born every minute."  And Hollywood is full of them.  I pray God will lead them to the Truth.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 11:58:40 AM »

what on earth (or off it) would a scientology wedding be like??...i REALLY hope there are photos taken at that! (if it happens) i wish i could hear what the "service" is like too - oy talk about a circus!

The officiant will be XENU, the alien lord.  I wonder if XENU will be wearing Alien vestments?

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Esteban

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 12:11:02 PM »

The officiant will be XENU, the alien lord.ÂÂ  I wonder if XENU will be wearing Alien vestments?

But would Xenu be retired by now? He already was an evil (alien) overlord 75 million years ago... though come to think of it, he might still be at the helm. I mean, look at Renquist!  Grin

"This life has been given to you for repentance. Do not waste it in vain pursuits."

--St Isaac the Syrian
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 05:52:37 PM »

Tom Cruise is a hack actor, therefore I'm not suprised he buys into a hack "religion".

*barf*

Esteban

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 07:45:56 PM »

Tom Cruise is a hack actor, therefore I'm not suprised he buys into a hack "religion".

*barf*

Indeed! Clearly the thoughts and reaction of someone with fine taste and clear ideas. Grin

--St Isaac the Syrian
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 07:54:57 PM »

*barf*

So very true.

Lord have mercy.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 09:37:01 PM »

Dude. Scientology is a weirdo religion for weirdo minds... no wonder actors dig it.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 11:35:20 AM »

OK, I am not a Tom Cruise Fan, he is a bore to me, any hoot....I never understood the religion and I think I will never understand it;

I have a question though, why does their building contain a "Cross" on top, actually, looks like a Celtic Cross....what does this have to do with their Religion? Do they believe in Jesus? Really confused.

If a Sciencetologist does come on this forum, please explain your alien beliefs and a Cross on your building???

In Christ,
Hadel the Confused Huh
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 11:42:03 AM by Hadel » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
MBZ

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 05:01:56 PM »

Hi all!

Scientology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology) is nutty & Scientologists are even nuttier!

I thought that I would run these past everyone.ÂÂ  This is from the New York Post:

GET SOME STIFF MEDICINE TO CURE THESE CRUISE BLUES

By Andrea Peyser, Wed Jun 29, 4:59 AM ET

THIS is an urgent public appeal to save Tom Cruise before it's too late.

If Tom were just some homeless person with a habit of raving in public and snarling insanely at "Today" show hosts while going off his meds, we'd know exactly how to handle him.

If he were just some creepy nobody who enjoyed playing doctor without a license, he'd be stopped.

If Tom were just any other guy who liked to jump on strangers' couches while engaging in agonizing displays of public affection with a taller girl whom he might credibly have fathered, he would be locked-up.

Tom would get hauled off by kindly men in white coats and transported to a sterile rubber room, where his noggin would promptly be attached to electrodes while he's fed a handful of Brooke Shields' leftover stash.

But Tom is not homeless and drooling.

He is rich and famous and drooling.

He is a dwarfish, fading Hollywood heartthrob with strangely white teeth who is currently tottering on the ledge, threatening to commit career and social suicide.

Tom needs your help. Do it for his fans.

Or for his kids. Do it for the preservation of his vast wealth and residual profits.

Do it for the continued existence of movie excess, for self-indulgent, hundred-million-dollar movie budgets with riders guaranteeing the stars unrealistic profits.

That's right. Saving Tom means saving Hollywood itself.

Which is why I beg of you: Medicate Tom now!

As the "War of the Worlds" opens to snickers from fans who've witnessed Tom's brain boil over on national television, it is clear that even wealthy celebrities can benefit from interventions from well-meaning strangers.

The scuttlebutt from within Paramount is that new studio chief Brad Grey is losing patience with Tom's antics.

And with his constant proselytizing for Scientology, which became acute after Tom replaced his longtime publicist with his Scientologist sister.

That was the act of a man in crisis. Even Steven Spielberg is annoyed, having scolded Tom during a press tour to stop talking about his supposed relationship with Katie Holmes and start talking about their movie.

But the low point came when Tom snarled at Matt Lauer on "Today," proclaiming, "You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do."

Get this guy some help. You wouldn't let an animal suffer the way he has. Do it for the good of global entertainment. Medicate Tom now.
ÂÂ  Cheesy

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nypost/20050629/cm_nypost/getsomestiffmedicinetocurethesecruiseblues

And (from the Tampa Tribune) to be serious:

The Tom Cruise Fright Show

Published: Jun 29, 2005

Tom Cruise is busy hawking his summer movie about invading aliens, but it is his performance on the talk show circuit that is causing fright.

The know-it-all actor came unglued on the ``Today'' show last week when Matt Lauer asked about Cruise's crusade against psychiatry and antidepressants, including a bitter attack on Brooke Shields for seeking therapy for postpartum depression.

``You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do,'' Cruise told Lauer.

When Lauer pointed out that antidepressants had helped some of his friends, Cruise seemed to lose himself. ``Matt, Matt, you don't even - you're glib. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories. Matt, OK? That's what I've done.

``... you don't know, and I do.''

Contrary to what Cruise would have viewers believe, he has no medical degree. He is a zealous practitioner of Scientology, which has long sought to discredit psychiatry. The view that modern medicine can be too quick to prescribe antidepressants is hardly out of the mainstream. But science has long proved that certain drugs can effectively treat mental illness. Postpartum depression, in particular, is treatable.

There are surely anxious individuals for whom exercise and vitamins are sufficient, as Cruise claims. But others need more. Cruise's efforts to shame people out of seeking medical help could leave some feeling dangerously hopeless. This self-absorbed actor is playing with people's lives.

Fortunately, it's unlikely many people will give him much credence. They need only watch the rants of this strange and angry man to question whether vitamins and exercise are doing the job for him.

Link: http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGBWCE2TIAE.html

A nice cold Guinness draught & shot of single malt Irish whiskey are the best way I know to kill Thetans!ÂÂ  Who wants to join me? Roll Eyes

Be well!

MBZ
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 05:06:47 PM by MBZ » Logged

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005, 05:38:45 PM »

A nice cold Guinness draught & shot of single malt Irish whiskey are the best way I know to kill Thetans!ÂÂ  Who wants to join me? Roll Eyes

What is it that Choirfiend's always telling us to do?  Um, oh yeah, that's right...

Imbibe!!!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 02:58:25 PM »

Who's up for consumption of mass quantities of alcohol, preferably the black and chewy kind?

-Philip

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
browneyedgirl

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 03:02:03 PM »

OK, I am not a Tom Cruise Fan, he is a bore to me, any hoot....I never understood the religion and I think I will never understand it;

I have a question though, why does their building contain a "Cross" on top, actually, looks like a Celtic Cross....what does this have to do with their Religion? Do they believe in Jesus? Really confused.

If a Sciencetologist does come on this forum, please explain your alien beliefs and a Cross on your building???

In Christ,
Hadel the Confused Huh

I was wondering the EXACT SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 03:46:26 PM »

Well, personally while I watch Cruise's activities with a bit of astonishment and pity, I can't help but wonder why some Orthodox celebrities can't try to advocate Orthodoxy... after all, Cruise is very efficiently killing his career in favor of his religion, sad to see that some Orthodox celebrities aren't willing to speak up for Orthodox principles just a little bit.

BTW, count me in on the drink... a nice midori & pinapple slushie would be excellent right about now.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 03:47:06 PM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 05:52:33 PM »

Who's up for consumption of mass quantities of alcohol, preferably the black and chewy kind?

-Philip

Huh? You're underage, young sir.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Esteban

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005, 06:21:23 PM »

Huh? You're underage, young sir.

Well, he's underage for the purchase and public possession of alcohol--so as long as someone gets him his much-desired mass quantities of the black and chewy kind of alcohol, and he consumes it privately, he just might be okay! Grin

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to consume any spirits without my blood pressure going up since I turned 23! Before then I could drink almost anything (not that I ever drank much, anyway). I guess I still can have an occasional beer without any problems, though. And at least drinking age in Puerto Rico was 18 until I turned 21 (heh!), so I didn't miss my chance to try--when I came down to visit, anyway! Wink
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 06:23:41 PM by Julio » Logged

--St Isaac the Syrian
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 06:43:59 PM »

In former Yugo, we used to buy any type of alcohol over the the desk at any given age! Even when we would go as a family to a restoran (which did not happen very often, my mum knew how to cook LOL) you could order any alcohol regardless of age. Ofcourse it was "bad manners" (and something one would get his head punched in by one or both of his parents) if one drank spirits before the age of 14 or so. I remember drinking beer when I was very little (surely before the age of 9). But, hey it was great. It all went good until all bunch of drunk Serbs, Croats and Moslems decided to slaughter eachother.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 06:44:41 PM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2005, 07:11:13 PM »

Black and chewy is what I was asking about ....Smiley

Qui cantat, bis orat
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005, 10:25:57 PM »

Plain and simple. Tom Cruise is an a**.  I think Tom needs some black and chewy alcohol.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2005, 11:30:54 PM »

It's funny how topics can get so side-tracked. lol  Cheesy

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Esteban

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 08:52:19 AM »

Plain and simple. Tom Cruise is an a**.ÂÂ  I think Tom needs some black and chewy alcohol.

NO! He doesn't get any until his stops being a bad boy and complets his cycle of psychiatric medications! Grin

--St Isaac the Syrian
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 01:32:33 AM »

Well, personally while I watch Cruise's activities with a bit of astonishment and pity, I can't help but wonder why some Orthodox celebrities can't try to advocate Orthodoxy... after all, Cruise is very efficiently killing his career in favor of his religion, sad to see that some Orthodox celebrities aren't willing to speak up for Orthodox principles just a little bit.

BTW, count me in on the drink... a nice midori & pinapple slushie would be excellent right about now.

Yes, I see your point....I always hear Jennifer Aniston as being "Greek" but never Orthodox same with Jim Belushi (Albanian Orthodox) etc....

We could promote our heritage background, but never our beliefs, why not, the others of crazy new age is doing it.

Hey, am proud to be ORTHODOX of Jordanian Heritage! Smiley

In Christ,
Hadel

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2005, 08:14:03 AM »

Yes, I see your point....I always hear Jennifer Aniston as being "Greek" but never Orthodox same with Jim Belushi (Albanian Orthodox) etc....

We could promote our heritage background, but never our beliefs, why not, the others of crazy new age is doing it.

Hey, am proud to be ORTHODOX of Jordanian Heritage! Smiley

You all raise excellent points, but unfortunately amongst Hollywood types, Orthodox is neither nouveau nor is it chic and therefore something Hollywood stars keep quiet.  I also think that many "Orthodox Christians" in Hollywood are Orthodox in name only.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2005, 10:18:52 AM »

Hey,

I love Irish Whiskey....last time I had great Irish Whiskey was in Core, Ireland at a pub. Smiley

Reading more into this "religion" I find it bizarre to the max....I notice alot of rich as well as rich and famous are literally buying into it.

I find it insulting that they have a cross on the building....if they don't believe in God, and Christ especially, but instead in those Alien thetans then they need to remove the cross.

I read at another site, that Hubbards friends that started this so called religion was practicing satanist....I should look this up again and paste it on this site.

God knows the truth, but I am soooooooooo sick of New Age Crap@! Sorry, for my language.

Empty people seeking a purpose and fulfillment, can't see the Truth; it is really under their noses, the Truth, the Word of the True God. Sad....prayers for them.
In Christ,
Hadel

Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 10:29:23 AM »

You all raise excellent points, but unfortunately amongst Hollywood types, Orthodox is neither nouveau nor is it chic and therefore something Hollywood stars keep quiet.ÂÂ  I also think that many "Orthodox Christians" in Hollywood are Orthodox in name only.

Yes, you are right, we have to make it Orthodox to fit the Hollywood chic....maybe we can convert Paris Hilton from the New Age Kabbalah religion (I think an insult to the true Kabbalah Religion) to the Chic find your destiny Orthodox.

Ok, Paris Hilton and Madonna will get their attention. See Jamie Farr is Greek Orthodox and though I like the guy he can't turn Hollywood to Orthodox....hee hee.ÂÂ  Grin Wink

In Christ,
Hadel
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 10:31:23 AM by Hadel » Logged

Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2005, 07:04:08 PM »

Tom Hanks converted to Orthodoxy . He was wearing his prayer rope the last time I saw him on Dave Letterman.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2005, 09:30:30 AM »

Would it be nice that a hollywood celebrity proudly announced that he/she was Orthodox christian and proud. Sure. But IMHO, it seems when a "celebrity" gets a hold of a relgion or other "belief system" it becomes "trendy" like a handbag. Visit any suburban Barnes and Noble and you will find a "do it yourself Kaballah rope kit" and a big display table hawking whatever Oprah, Madonna or Paris Hilton is into now. Orthodoxy is not good at being trendy.
djrak

"Do not put out the Spirit's fire" - 1 Thess 5:19

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2005, 09:56:49 AM »

Tom Hanks converted to Orthodoxy . He was wearing his prayer rope the last time I saw him on Dave Letterman.
forest gump is the bomb

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" - John 14:9
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2005, 09:57:23 AM »

Tom Cruise needs a Serbian wife and plenty of slivo. That'll learn him!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
st.arius?

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 08:55:55 PM »

L.Ron Hubbards favorite three words, when he was alive...................TAX WRITE OFF.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: