Author Topic: NYNE Coptic Diocese and N. American Archdiocese Statement on Supreme Court Ruling  (Read 2391 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
This is perhaps one of the most articulate and succinct statements I have read.  I like it:

“…speaking the truth in love…” Ephesians 4:15

On June 26, 2015, the United States Supreme Court issued its ruling disallowing bans on same sex marriage throughout the United States.  The Coptic Orthodox Church affirms and reiterates her Christian faith, expressed clearly in the Bible, by the Church Fathers, and in Canon law, that marriage is a union between one man and one woman.  We are thankful to live in a democratic society which recognizes and protects both the freedom to exercise religion as well as the freedom to express beliefs; we pray that the Court’s ruling does not diminish these fundamental rights.

More here
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
After reading the whole statement im impressed with telling the truth in love, not comromising on biblical truth alsowhile not hyperbolic or too fearful. It might just be the best response yet.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
It might just be the best response yet.

Our responses have always been "the best response yet".  ;)
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
Yep whoeverwrote this did a good job. The Assemblyof canonical bishops should fire fr. Trentham and take a clue.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Yep whoeverwrote this did a good job. The Assemblyof canonical bishops should fire fr. Trentham and take a clue.

Did Fr. Trenham draft the ACOB statement? That would explain a lot.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic

You guys prompted me to read this statement, and my first reaction was to think it was written by someone who internalised one too many "St Nicholas punching Arius" memes. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA

Ok, who is Fr. Trenham and why is he controversial?
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!

I am wondering the same thing.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon

I am wondering the same thing.

second that

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Fr. Josiah is an AntiochiaN so I am surprised to see it in a Coptic statement. I am new to Orthodoxy (OCA) and didn't know such occurred.   
Recently attended an all day seminar for men given by Fr. Josiah. Clear, easy to understand, quietly spoken and he really upset a few of the people there. Some knew of his coming and refused to attend.
He's not lukewarm and many spit his message out. Attending that church next week and will send him your regards if he's there.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
He's a comical culture warrior who is obsessed with sex and talks with a Dracula accent even though he was born in California.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Fr. Josiah is an AntiochiaN so I am surprised to see it in a Coptic statement.

No...people are comparing this statement made by the Coptic Church to what is allegedly written by Fr. Josiah on behalf of ACOB.  He had nothing to do with the statement I linked above.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
He's a comical culture warrior who is obsessed with sex and talks with a Dracula accent even though he was born in California.

How can you speak to our culture either here in California or elsewhere and talk about sex in any way that does not make one sound obsessed? Huh?
He is a cultural warrior,however since his Temple abuts University of California, Riverside and he has a heart for "Arabs" I am sure one would have to develop a good sense of humor. Oh, I misread you...you mean our cultural is comical...well,Myers, you are right but remember this IS California and that priest won't let an iota slip by.
I know I'm old but I don't recall any Dracula imitations, and he didn't talk about sex even though it was geared to being a man. What a concept!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
Watch any video of the man and his bizarre vocal affectation is apparent.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
I don't know anything about him, but I just watched of video of him, and I don't notice any strange voice inflections.  ???
God bless!

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
I don't know anything about him, but I just watched of video of him, and I don't notice any strange voice inflections.  ???

Regardless of the gentlemen voice can anyone point to what he said that so off putting to many Orthodox? and being a culture warrior is bad in it self? Is the culture so "enlightening" and "great" at the moment? it just honest ?'s on my part so I know where many of you are coming from.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
For many if not most Orthodox, culture warrior is a derogatory term used for groups like the Moral Majority and other pushy religious/political groups. I don't know much about Fr. Josiah, but if that is his angle, I can see why it would rub some the wrong way.
God bless!

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos

Regardless of the gentlemen voice can anyone point to what he said that so off putting to many Orthodox? and being a culture warrior is bad in it self? Is the culture so "enlightening" and "great" at the moment? it just honest ?'s on my part so I know where many of you are coming from.

One of my main problems with American Orthodoxy is this. Granted I recently came  from an American Protestant exposure, but hold on a minute.
Orthodoxy FOR THE MOST PART, was fed, watered and nurtured in single state-religious environs or in cut-throat milieus but about never in a place where freedom to speak out, loud and proud without getting poked in the pokey, as here in America.  Now I know some weed-pickers will slam their keys to tell me something like back in the 13th Century a province in Poland allowed blah, blah, blah.
Not the issue here.
I see almost no one willing to take on our truly messed up culture so when one steps out of the sanctuary and steps into the public square, then it's time to say "Horrors! That's not OUR way".
So derision, berating, and belittling becomes the way?
Piffle. More power and God's Grace be upon them.

OK, Old Man Rant #2: back in the day we had Bishop Fulton Sheen, Billy Graham, William Steuart McBirnie and others who would hold the public moral compass and call us to consider our ways.
In the Public Square whom do we have? Yes, there are small voices here and their and much to the enemy's delight there are few that are loud enough or speak the American language well enough to step forward and war against what is around them.
Pshaw. It's Sunday, a day of calm, rest and joy in The Lord.
You all know what you should do.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
For many if not most Orthodox, culture warrior is a derogatory term used for groups like the Moral Majority and other pushy religious/political groups. I don't know much about Fr. Josiah, but if that is his angle, I can see why it would rub some the wrong way.

Ok I understand that yeah no a fan of the family research council/700 club/lou engle/moral majority crowds they are too pushy and way too political It just in my opinion the opostion that opposes them like the modern Progressives, New Atheists, many Mainline Churches, etc. isn't any better and don't have our best intreasts in mind. Anyways yeah I can see why many peeople on this forum could have a problem with fr.josiah.