Author Topic: WHY NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF THE ORTHODOX IN THE AMERICAS  (Read 7818 times)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
WHY NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF THE ORTHODOX IN THE AMERICAS
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »
My mother told me today that a Muslim gave her a Qur'an at the Fourth of July parade in the small Chicago suburb (pop. below 60,000) she lives in. The local mosque had a float in the parade.

The Orthodox had none.

This in a town of about 50,000 people in less than 15 square miles, where we have not only 5 different Orthodox parishes, 4 Chalcedonian (3 canonical, 1 not) and 1 non-Chalcedonian-all of which have actual Church buildings (i.e. not house Churches) but also a local Cathedral and a Church with a parish school attached.

SHAME!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: WHY NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF THE ORTHODOX IN THE AMERICAS
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
We need a float in the parade?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »
If they have that many churches in the area, I would say it's a good thing and they are certainly known in the city, parade float or not.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »
It would be a start.

Or rather, a resumption:
July 4, 1892
...Probably the most unique celebration of the day, as it was one of the most earnest, took place in the Graeco-Slavonian Church, No. 20 North Peoria street, yesterday afternoon. Members of the Greek faith in this city gathered there at 11 o’clock and with a monk of high order in picturesque vestments at the altar the mass or liturgy of Servian freedom was recited and applied to the natal day of American independence. The religious features of the services throughout were the same as those employed in Servia to commemorate the independence of that country, and the vestments worn by the celebrant were white and gold, symbolic in Slavonian churches of freedom won and enjoyed...
http://orthodoxhistory.org/2009/07/06/july-4-1892/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:41:46 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 05:53:03 PM »
SHAME!

How so?
If they have that many churches in the area, I would say it's a good thing and they are certainly known in the city, parade float or not.
No, they are quite unknown. My mother (non-Orthodox) has been there for decades, as have two of the Churches. She knows of the one only because when you get off the toll way the ramp gives a bird's eye view of it. The other, the Cathedral, she didn't know of until I pointed it out to her-although she used to pass by it nearly every day. Another she passes by-it has a huge Crucifix outside facing the street so you can tell it's a Church at least-but she doesn't know of it. The non-Chalcedonian one she knows only because someone she knows was married there.  There is one (the non-canonical Chalcedonian) which she passes every day, maybe a half mile from her house if that, and I don't know if she has ever noticed it.

I'm willing to bet that if one asked someone downtown-which is well within a few miles or so of all these Churches (the furthest-where there was an Orthodox Church, they would be at a loss to point one out.

SHAME!

Offline Echa

• 그리스도께서 부활하셨네! 참으로 부활하셨네!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Partriarch of Moscow
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »
My mother told me today that a Muslim gave her a Qur'an at the Fourth of July parade in the small Chicago suburb (pop. below 60,000) she lives in. The local mosque had a float in the parade.

The Orthodox had none.

This in a town of about 50,000 people in less than 15 square miles, where we have not only 5 different Orthodox parishes, 4 Chalcedonian (3 canonical, 1 not) and 1 non-Chalcedonian-all of which have actual Church buildings (i.e. not house Churches) but also a local Cathedral and a Church with a parish school attached.

SHAME!

I am still wishing that my parish has a school  :'(
Христос възкресе! Наистина възкресе!

Offline Echa

• 그리스도께서 부활하셨네! 참으로 부활하셨네!
  • Jurisdiction: Partriarch of Moscow
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »
SHAME!

How so?
No, they are quite unknown. My mother (non-Orthodox) has been there for decades, as have two of the Churches. She knows of the one only because when you get off the toll way the ramp gives a bird's eye view of it. The other, the Cathedral, she didn't know of until I pointed it out to her-although she used to pass by it nearly every day. Another she passes by-it has a huge Crucifix outside facing the street so you can tell it's a Church at least-but she doesn't know of it. The non-Chalcedonian one she knows only because someone she knows was married there.  There is one (the non-canonical Chalcedonian) which she passes every day, maybe a half mile from her house if that, and I don't know if she has ever noticed it.

I'm willing to bet that if one asked someone downtown-which is well within a few miles or so of all these Churches (the furthest-where there was an Orthodox Church, they would be at a loss to point one out.

SHAME!

Maybe thinking if it's not a Protestant church, it's a Catholic church.

I'm living in a small town, there are churches here i don't even know what kind of churches. I only know that there are only 2 Catholic churches in this town and the rest are questionables, Protestant ones but what denominations? Don't even want to bother  ;D
Христос възкресе! Наистина възкресе!

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »

My thoughts exactly.....

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »
Is this Christian News?  :o
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »

People would rush to their local church after seeing something like this, let me tell you.

Parades.... the fact that people still go to those willingly is amazing in this day and age.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 11:08:39 PM »
Evidently it is news to Des Plaines, IL that they have Orthodox.

Everyone knows they have Muslims.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:08:58 PM by ialmisry »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 11:35:58 PM »
Here's the problem, kiddies:
We are the OCA which is Orthodox Church IN America wherein it should read "OF" America.
As i understand it, Constantinople still considers US under Russia. If so, that needs to be rectified. We are not 'of' any outside force or party. Seems "colonization" and dominance is still that European sickness.

All the churches have "ethnic" backgrounds which is really divisive and fits right into those elements that are deconstructing America instead of causing "out of many, one" which happens to be the US motto! If that ain't a Christian principal, what is?

One participle is what resolved The Filioque for us, as I poorly understand it. The same issue may help all the silliness I find around regarding our religion. For the most part many are 2nd & 3rd generation "ethnics" but still "hold onto" that false pride of ethnicity. Most of us that are not "ethnic" but converts would probably enjoy bringing new traditions and ways into how we practice our new faith.
What a mess!
We can start our own American Traditions and become free of that pile of cold, dead rocks across the pond.
Happy 4th of July. Happy Independence Day. Struggle on.

Lord, have mercy.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 11:42:38 PM »
Did the fireworks release a lot of stupid in the air out there? 
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 11:46:35 PM »

Yes, and I sucked it up!
But gaged on the ad hominem.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:46:57 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 11:51:24 PM »

We had to close all the windows and turn on the air conditioner.

Awful air.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 11:56:10 PM »
Here's the problem, kiddies:
We are the OCA which is Orthodox Church IN America wherein it should read "OF" America.
As i understand it, Constantinople still considers US under Russia. If so, that needs to be rectified. We are not 'of' any outside force or party. Seems "colonization" and dominance is still that European sickness.

All the churches have "ethnic" backgrounds which is really divisive and fits right into those elements that are deconstructing America instead of causing "out of many, one" which happens to be the US motto! If that ain't a Christian principal, what is?

One participle is what resolved The Filioque for us, as I poorly understand it. The same issue may help all the silliness I find around regarding our religion. For the most part many are 2nd & 3rd generation "ethnics" but still "hold onto" that false pride of ethnicity. Most of us that are not "ethnic" but converts would probably enjoy bringing new traditions and ways into how we practice our new faith.
What a mess!
We can start our own American Traditions and become free of that pile of cold, dead rocks across the pond.
Happy 4th of July. Happy Independence Day. Struggle on.

Lord, have mercy.
That hierarch raving against foreign despots didn't end up well.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 11:59:25 PM »
this thread is titled

Well come on, even the Original Poster has -heard- of Orthodoxy and he lives here...

so just because we don't have a float......

more people haven't heard of it, because we as humans fail to share with those around us, not because we fail to have a float.....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 12:24:58 AM »
I remember the part when St. Herman asked the Aleuts, "Почему никто не слышал о православной в Америке.  Мы должны парада поплавки*"

*WHY NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF THE ORTHODOX IN THE AMERICAS.  We need parade floats.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 01:45:35 AM »
this thread is titled

Well come on, even the Original Poster has -heard- of Orthodoxy and he lives here...
and is Orthodox. If I didn't know what to look for, I wouldn't find it.

so just because we don't have a float......
....people in Des Plaines know that they have Muslims, but do not have a clue that they have Orthodox.

The town is not alone. I'm sure many in NYC don't know they have Orthodox

but they know they have Muslims.

Enjoy the Fourth. While you can.

more people haven't heard of it, because we as humans fail to share with those around us, not because we fail to have a float.....
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:46:05 AM by ialmisry »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »

People would rush to their local church after seeing something like this, let me tell you.

Parades.... the fact that people still go to those willingly is amazing in this day and age.

+1
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 02:11:00 AM »
I remember the part when St. Herman asked the Aleuts, "Почему никто не слышал о православной в Америке.  Мы должны парада поплавки*"

*WHY NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF THE ORTHODOX IN THE AMERICAS.  We need parade floats.
They had them. They're called processions.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 02:47:14 AM »
I for one doubt that the people of des plaines would get the difference between Muslims and orthodox . Nice suburb though. Broad green lawns
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 03:05:19 AM »

They had them. They're called processions.

Funny, I don't see a float.

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 05:07:14 AM »
Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons bang on people's doors, but that doesn't make them popular denominations even though everybody knows they exist.

On the other hand, if a parish holds some sort of ethnic festival or the like and puts a general invitation in the local paper that might draw some in or get a write-up in the following day's paper.

Offline tcolon90

• Faith: The Way
  • Jurisdiction: + Michael - Diocese NY & NJ
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 07:16:05 AM »

Don't bother reporting it. Moderators on this site are aweful. Apparently you can be banned for refusing to use "proper titles" on non-chalcedonian clergy, even though they are not legitimate clergy.
"For where the body is, the eagles will gather."

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »

Don't bother reporting it. Moderators on this site are aweful. Apparently you can be banned for refusing to use "proper titles" on non-chalcedonian clergy, even though they are not legitimate clergy.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
I"m trying to get more Orthodox books into our library.   Through our digital ebook lending library, there is a way to request titles to be added.  So far none of my Orthodox Christian requests have been selected, though 2 others (one non-fiction about growing up in Soviet Russia, and another political book) were selected and purchased.  There are tons of Evangelical ebooks,  and many Amish Romance (I don't get this genre, btw) fiction books, but not one about Eastern Orthodoxy.  So, now I'm going to try to get my friends and family to request the same books that I requested for purchase, in hopes that they will make them available.   Then, perhaps, more people will see the books and be curious enough to read more about Orthodoxy.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »
What does an Islamic float look like?
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Byron

• High Elder
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 08:18:42 AM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

Why did she accept the Koran and what did she do with it?
I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

Why did she accept the Koran

Free toilet paper is always good.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »
What does an Islamic float look like?

No pictures on it.....maybe they won't allow any to be taken too?
Plenty of 9 year old wives?
Pulled by folks for sale?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 10:13:36 AM »
Amish Romance (I don't get this genre, btw)

America needed a counterpart to Regency romance?
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Czar Lazar

• Elder
  • Само слога Србина спасава
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Српскa Православнa Црквa

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »

Possibly.... It's a subgenre of Christian fiction.  Though I doubt these books will want to make anyone turn up the AC. I don't understand why there are so many books from this category in the ebook library, but not one on Orthodox Christianity.  I think we all need to pester our libraries more and get our books out there for public consumption.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »

Possibly.... It's a subgenre of Christian fiction.  Though I doubt these books will want to make anyone turn up the AC.

Well, of course not. They're all about a very structured society with exotic customs and no sex on-camera (or on-page, if you prefer). ::)

(I'll still plumb for Regency, though. :D)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »

Possibly.... It's a subgenre of Christian fiction.  Though I doubt these books will want to make anyone turn up the AC.

Well, of course not. They're all about a very structured society with exotic customs and no sex on-camera (or on-page, if you prefer). ::)

I  want to stick with my original point, that our libraries have absolutely no books on Orthodoxy, while there are many books on evangelical forms of Christianity.   The librarians are not going to purchase Orthodox books for the general public unless some of us start asking.   I have no real interest in discussing the merits of Amish Romance, other than to point out how odd it is that there are so many of these books purchased with taxpayer money, yet there are no books that describe Orthodoxy.  So, it's time to start asking.  Perhaps it's not the same as getting a float in a parade, but it's a way to increase the odds that an average American will know a little about Orthodoxy.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
Perhaps it's not the same as getting a float in a parade, but it's a way to increase the odds that an average American will know a little about Orthodoxy.

Assuming that Joe or Jane Average will bother to check out such books, which I suspect is assuming quite a bit.

On the other hand, a book fair organised by the local Orthodox churches could cost less than a float, while being at least as obvious, and attract people more likely to do some homework afterwards.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »
I"m trying to get more Orthodox books into our library.   Through our digital ebook lending library, there is a way to request titles to be added.  So far none of my Orthodox Christian requests have been selected, though 2 others (one non-fiction about growing up in Soviet Russia, and another political book) were selected and purchased.  There are tons of Evangelical ebooks,  and many Amish Romance (I don't get this genre, btw) fiction books, but not one about Eastern Orthodoxy.  So, now I'm going to try to get my friends and family to request the same books that I requested for purchase, in hopes that they will make them available.   Then, perhaps, more people will see the books and be curious enough to read more about Orthodoxy.
At my local public library you can donate new books or offer to donate the purchase for new books.  Look into that.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
No we don't.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »
Everyone's getting stuck on "to float or not to float" and missing the point.  Or maybe no one cares about that point.   
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

An Athonite

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
Everyone's getting stuck on "to float or not to float" and missing the point.  Or maybe no one cares about that point.   

Quandary, as you know, Orthodox is not "evangelical" in the American sense of public proselytizing.
Never seen one on a corner passing out tomes, have you? So how do we get around that?
I've heard of "Glendi" (parties) for the public to come and sample ethnic foods from Orthodoxy.
Anything else?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »

Mmmm.... what's the Amish equivalent of having £10.000 a year?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:44:28 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 06:46:09 PM »

It all comes back to goats in the end, doesn't it?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »

Quandary, as you know, Orthodox is not "evangelical" in the American sense of public proselytizing.
Never seen one on a corner passing out tomes, have you? So how do we get around that?
I've heard of "Glendi" (parties) for the public to come and sample ethnic foods from Orthodoxy.
Anything else?

Read the Bible.  "The American sense of public proselytizing" and "Glendi" are not the only two ways to spread the gospel.  If they were, the Twelve would've just kept on fishing after John 21 and I'd be a Hindu.   

An Athonite

Raylight

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:24 PM »
As a person from Canada, some people have some good knowledge of the Orthodox Church, especially the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. But one major issue that stand between many North Americans and the Eastern Orthodox Churches in my opinion is ethnicity. When a church titled, Ukrainian, Greek, Coptic, Russian...etc, many assume it is for the people from those countries. In the Greek Church I went to which was nice, and the priest very kind and respectful man, it didn't bother me that the Liturgy is in Greek ( It is the language of the New Testament ) what bothered me and made me feel as an outsider is that everyone assume you're Greek. They start chatting with you in Greek, until you mention that you don't speak Greek, and sometimes awkward  moment take place.

In my opinion, the important thing the Orthodox Churches in North America need to work on is educating people that Orthodox Churches are not foreign places where its members are immigrants or temporary visitors only , the Orthodox Churches need to relate to the ordinary North American person. People need to know how Eastern Orthodoxy contributes to society, rather than having the false assumption that there is nothing Orthodoxy can give to the West.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »

It all comes back to goats in the end, doesn't it?

It always does. Goats are the lube of romance.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:00:45 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »
When a church titled, Ukrainian, Greek, Coptic, Russian...etc, many assume it is for the people from those countries.

Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada.

An Athonite

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 07:40:12 PM »
As a person from Canada, some people have some good knowledge of the Orthodox Church, especially the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. But one major issue that stand between many North Americans and the Eastern Orthodox Churches in my opinion is ethnicity. When a church titled, Ukrainian, Greek, Coptic, Russian...etc, many assume it is for the people from those countries. In the Greek Church I went to which was nice, and the priest very kind and respectful man, it didn't bother me that the Liturgy is in Greek ( It is the language of the New Testament ) what bothered me and made me feel as an outsider is that everyone assume you're Greek. They start chatting with you in Greek, until you mention that you don't speak Greek, and sometimes awkward  moment take place.

In my opinion, the important thing the Orthodox Churches in North America need to work on is educating people that Orthodox Churches are not foreign places where its members are immigrants or temporary visitors only , the Orthodox Churches need to relate to the ordinary North American person. People need to know how Eastern Orthodoxy contributes to society, rather than having the false assumption that there is nothing Orthodoxy can give to the West.

Well, you are stupid. And you are wrong. There can never be a true American Orthodox Church.
Anathema, anathema and a pox upon your silly house hold.
How can you even think to write such a thing, oh silly one?
Did I leave out anything? Have we reached some comfort zone?
Have I insulted you enough? If not, keep writing such blathering nonsense.

Oh, wait, I may have written something as you did in the above.
Sorry, never mind....I was just repeating what was told to me....there is no vision of what an American Orthodox could be.
Though it IS the case that this continent has a universal humanity (losers from every continent) nor founded on principles that have Christianity as an inspiration, nor have tried to be more than a historical accident, as all other nations have been, we are not allowed to have such a vision by standards set from those who still live in the "authoritarian" manner.
You see, even in one of our flavorful entities called The Orthodox Church IN America, we cannot have the word "in" changed to OF, as that would throw off tons and tons of......issues.
Anyway, nice try, but as my confessor told me last night, keep trying.  (as you may tell, I am losing compassion which requires another confession).

Lord, have mercy.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 08:11:42 PM »
I for one doubt that the people of des plaines would get the difference between Muslims and orthodox . Nice suburb though. Broad green lawns
No. Rather small ones in fact. Was it your narrow vision that confused you?

Or you confusing it with Hemingway on the People's Republic of Oak Park?

Raylight

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »

Well, you are stupid. And you are wrong. There can never be a true American Orthodox Church.

Sorry, never mind....I was just repeating what was told to me....there is no vision of what an American Orthodox could be.
Though it IS the case that this continent has a universal humanity (losers from every continent) nor founded on principles that have Christianity as an inspiration, nor have tried to be more than a historical accident, as all other nations have been, we are not allowed to have such a vision by standards set from those who still live in the "authoritarian" manner.
You see, even in one of our flavorful entities called The Orthodox Church IN America, we cannot have the word "in" changed to OF, as that would throw off tons and tons of......issues.
Anyway, nice try, but as my confessor told me last night, keep trying.  (as you may tell, I am losing compassion which requires another confession).

Lord, have mercy.

I never realized it was that complicated. It doesn't make sense why would some people think the idea of American Orthodox Church is ridicules. Would God be offended ? The hostility against anything Western will never accomplish anything good for the Orthodox Christian cause. Even though I'm Anglican, I believe Eastern Orthodoxy can save Christianity in the West, because it brings fresh air of authentic Christianity (Anglicanism  influenced bu Eastern Orthodox in some parts ) However, that will not be accomplished if Eastern Orthodoxy will be seen as some "eastern wisdom from far far away", if Americans will have to somehow be less enthusiastic about their nationality in order to fit in Orthodox Church, Orthodoxy will continue to be something foreign.

I'm sorry you had to deal with such responses.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:40:25 PM by Raylight »

Raylight

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2015, 11:32:54 PM »
When a church titled, Ukrainian, Greek, Coptic, Russian...etc, many assume it is for the people from those countries.

Anglican Church of Canada is only in Canada, you won't find it anywhere outside of Canada. If I go to U.S. I will go to the Episcopal Church in the U.S. If I go to UK, I will go to Church of England. If I go to Egypt, I will go to the Episcopal Church of North Africa. If I go to Israel, I will go to the Episcopal Church of Jerusalem and Middle East. All of them are part of the Universal Anglican Communion.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2015, 11:48:17 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I never realized it was that complicated. It doesn't make sense why would some people think the idea of American Orthodox Church is ridicules. Would God be offended ? The hostility against anything Western will never accomplish anything good for the Orthodox Christian cause. Even though I'm Anglican, I believe Eastern Orthodoxy can save Christianity in the West, because it brings fresh air of authentic Christianity (Anglicanism  influenced bu Eastern Orthodox in some parts ) However, that will not be accomplished if Eastern Orthodoxy will be seen as some "eastern wisdom from far far away", if Americans will have to somehow be less enthusiastic about their nationality in order to fit in Orthodox Church, Orthodoxy will continue to be something foreign.

Gracious and understanding. Thank you for hearing me out....you helped.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2015, 11:49:19 PM »

Anglican Church of Canada is only in Canada, you won't find it anywhere outside of Canada. If I go to U.S. I will go to the Episcopal Church in the U.S. If I go to UK, I will go to Church of England. If I go to Egypt, I will go to the Episcopal Church of North Africa. If I go to Israel, I will go to the Episcopal Church of Jerusalem and Middle East. All of them are part of the Universal Anglican Communion.

The remnants of an imperial state church, FWIW.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2015, 11:52:15 PM »

The remnants of an imperial state church, FWIW.

Is that not the case from the European experience?

Offline Czar Lazar

• Elder
  • Само слога Србина спасава
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Српскa Православнa Црквa
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2015, 12:02:49 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

There is concern over which church would be in charge? how they would be charge? how to maintain the unique customs of each church? etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I also disagree with you.
The "foreign flare" of the Church is its appeal, its why you are drawn to it; as you say it is something different. It is true and uncompromising.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2015, 12:03:07 AM »

Maybe because the supposed actual point is not true.

Ask why 'WHY NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF THE ORTHODOX IN THE AMERICAS'

On a board of mostly converts. Who are mostly Americans and all somehow found out enough about Orthodoxy to actually convert. 

Maybe if there was a true statement in this. Like 'what can we do to reach out and share the faith?'

Vs
The standard 'politics room' outrage at everything rhetoric

It would be worth taking more seriously than the floats.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2015, 12:06:10 AM »
Thread locked pending review
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 01:39:50 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

LenInSebastopol,

You have been warned about ad hominem attacks in the past, so I'm sure you know why this is a violation of the rules.  For this as well as for a similar attack in another thread, and in light of your history, I am increasing your warning level by twenty-five (25) points. 

If you wish to appeal my decision, please PM me. 

Mor Ephrem, section moderator

An Athonite

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 01:44:16 AM »
Thread unlocked. 

Since the topic isn't exactly Christian News, I am moving it to Religious Topics. 

Mor Ephrem, section moderator

An Athonite

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

Are you saying there is a Greek church that does not have a Festival with a Taverna, live music, dancing, poster advertisements all over the place, etc?
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

Are you saying there is a Greek church that does not have a Festival with a Taverna, live music, dancing, poster advertisements all over the place, etc?
you mean, like the Bolshoi on tour?

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • It a bird, it a plane, no it's Orthogringo!
  • Faith: Orthogringo
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

True however from my expirence the Greek festivals to be more about Greek culture, food, music, etc. than anything related to Greek Orthodoxy.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2015, 03:11:18 PM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

True however from my expirence the Greek festivals to be more about Greek culture, food, music, etc. than anything related to Greek Orthodoxy.
You mean that Greek culture is not a manifestation of Greek Orthodoxy?
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • It a bird, it a plane, no it's Orthogringo!
  • Faith: Orthogringo
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

Well Greek Culture is heavily influenced by Orthodoxy but what I guess I was getting at is if these festivals are just food, dance, singing, etc. with no Orthodoxy who would be exposed to Orthodoxy? sorry for any confusion on my end.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2015, 04:15:07 PM »
The festival would be given on cypher h grounds, allowing folks to see the temple, hear a talk and be invited to attend a service, like Vespers, that very day, or such is one approach.

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

That's my experience as well. So I guess the question is: should they be more about Orthodoxy than those other things, and by how much?
- Peter Jericho

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 10:31:20 PM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

:)

Well that takes me back. What ever happened to "Greek Is Christian"?
- Peter Jericho

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2015, 10:35:43 PM »
Greek is Christian lost interest in Christianity and left it, and then apparently lost interest in this forum and left it  8)
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2015, 12:21:14 AM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

you mean, like the Bolshoi on tour?

No. But if you watch a Russian Belly Dancing contest, you will see how exceptional they are.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2015, 12:38:50 AM »

The Orthodox had none.

SHAME!

Well Greek Culture is heavily influenced by Orthodoxy but what I guess I was getting at is if these festivals are just food, dance, singing, etc. with no Orthodoxy who would be exposed to Orthodoxy? sorry for any confusion on my end.

I have never been to a Greek Festival that was devoid of Orthodoxy. If the church grounds are big enough, there are tours of the church, if not, the hours of tours at the church are listed in the program that you get when you buy a ticket. There is also an Orthodox book store and icons (high quality and small decoupage icons made by the children), and unfortunately a lot of religious jewelry hocked by private venders.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2015, 08:38:16 AM »
Quote from: seekeroftruth777 link=topic=65463.msg1312225#msg1312225
[/quote

I have never been to a Greek Festival that was devoid of Orthodoxy. If the church grounds are big enough, there are tours of the church, if not, the hours of tours at the church are listed in the program that you get when you buy a ticket. There is also an Orthodox book store and icons (high quality and small decoupage icons made by the children), and unfortunately a lot of religious jewelry hocked by private venders.
[/quote]

Get real people, we do not worship in a cultural vacuum.  Orthodoxy is part of the cultural history of Greece not just the religious legacy.  There is nothing wrong with that.  So stop trying to make it wrong.