OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 07:57:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blessed Sacrament  (Read 1384 times) Average Rating: 0
irene

OC.net

« on: June 29, 2005, 05:14:23 PM »

Hi,

I was wondering....if there are any RC converts to Orthodoxy who have felt this way... and that is in missing the Blessed Sacrament.   Or Adoration.   I am having a bit of a time letting that go.    In the Orthodox Church, is Communion the only time? 

Anotherwords, does the Orthodox Church have the Blessed Sacrament at all times, too?   So., whenever you go into the church, you are sure that is the case?   Or, does that only occur while they are waiting to take the Sacrament to the sick, etc...

Maybe it's a crazy thought.....but I will try  putting it out there anyway.

thanks--
Irene         
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 05:24:03 PM »

Ummmm, Jennifer?  This looks like a fat one down the middle ready for you to his out of the park.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »

The consecrated Body and Blood are always present in the altar area, on the table of oblation which is to the left of the altar proper. ÂÂ  (They are there largely so that they may be taken to the sick when necessary.ÂÂ  So they may be absent if the priest is taking communion to the sick, but this is almost never when any faithful are in the church.) ÂÂ However, the Orthodox find the Roman propensity to reverence the the Body and Blood of the Lord outside of the Divine Liturgy or the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts somewhat inappropriate. ÂÂ For us, this sacrament is given to us specifically to be eaten and drunk. ÂÂ "Take, eat, this is my body which is given to you, for the remission of sins."ÂÂ  This doesn't mean that it's not reverenced by us deeply, however.ÂÂ  

Not meaning to give offence, I also find it strange that the Latin Church refers to this sacrament as "the Blessed Sacrament."  I guess this highlights its importance.  For us, it is also the crowning sacrament, but there are many other sacraments (and I don't like to number them) and "sacramentals", if you must call them this, which are also "blessed" precisely because they are all Holy Mysteries of the Church.  ("Mystery" is really the more correct term for "sacrament" in Orthodoxy, btw.)

Bob
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 05:37:55 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 05:32:25 PM »

Actually in all the churches I have been in, The Body dipped in The Blood is stored in the tabernacle on the altar, not on the prosklomede table, although in humid areas it may be dried there. What is in the chalice is consumed by the deacon or priest after the Divine Liturgy.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 05:40:38 PM by ΝικολάÎÆ» Logged

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 05:33:56 PM »

Anotherwords, does the Orthodox Church have the Blessed Sacrament at all times, too?  ÃƒÆ’‚ So., whenever you go into the church, you are sure that is the case?  ÃƒÆ’‚ Or, does that only occur while they are waiting to take the Sacrament to the sick, etc...
 ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  

Hello Irene,

In the majority Eastern Orthodox tradition, the Blessed Sacrament is reserved in the tabernacle which rests on the altar, the holy table.  The tabernacle can have many forms but its purpose is basically that of the Roman Church, to store the Sacred Species (in the form of the Body). ÂÂ

TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
irene

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 09:02:54 PM »

Hi,

I understand better after reading your posts. 

It's a bit of shifting gears, takes a bit of undoing, from RC to Orthodox,  but I agree with the Orthodox way.  I always end up agreeing with the reasoning behind the doctrine, too.

Thank you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: