Author Topic: Physically fit 24-year-old given "right to die" in Belgium  (Read 951 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
Physically fit 24-year-old given "right to die" in Belgium
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
Doctors in Belgium are granting a healthy 24-year-old woman who is suffering from depression the right to die, as she qualifies for euthanasia, even though she does not have a terminal or life-threatening illness.

The 24-year-old female, known simply as Laura, has been given the go ahead by health professionals in Belgium to receive a lethal injection after spending both her childhood and adult life suffering from "suicidal thoughts," she told local Belgian media.

Laura has been a patient of a psychiatric institution since the age of 21 and says she has previously tried to kill herself on several occasions. She told journalists: "Death feels to me not as a choice. If I had a choice, I would choose a bearable life, but I have done everything and that was unsuccessful." The date of Laura's death is yet to be decided.

More here.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Physically fit 24-year-old given "right to die" in Belgium
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:11:44 AM »
... a healthy 24-year-old woman who is suffering from depression...

They should make up their minds. Is she healthy, or is she crippled by mental illness and in significant psychological distress/trauma? Sometimes I want to take a baseball bat to the back of a person's knees* and say "Does that hurt? O rly? How sad for you. Cause that's how some people feel every hour of every day, but since their pain is rooted in their brain rather than their liver or intestines we act (=pretend) like they aren't really hurting all that much." Of course that isn't fully a justification for allowing euthanasia (which is often irreversible), and is only part of the whole. But I ain't even mad. It's good to see things changing. So far as I know the only place making positive steps forward like this in America is Oregon.

EDIT--to add, I guess trying to commit suicide does not equal 'life threatening' illness. It's not life threatening if you're the one doing the threatening to your own person?

EDIT2-- the * --I was thinking of particular individuals here, not people at random, reporters, etc.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:17:42 AM by Justin Kissel »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
As someone who had dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts throughout my life, I can kind of understand what she is going through, but there are paths of healing. I hope she is able to see that before she submits herself to this.

Lord, have mercy!  :'(
God bless!

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 03:11:48 PM »
As someone who had dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts throughout my life, I can kind of understand what she is going through, but there are paths of healing. I hope she is able to see that before she submits herself to this.

+1
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 03:28:40 PM »
let's hear it for Catholic monarchies!
Proverbs 22:7

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 03:29:48 PM »

Indeed.

Lord have mercy.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
Lord, have mercy!

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:18 AM »
... a healthy 24-year-old woman who is suffering from depression...

They should make up their minds. Is she healthy, or is she crippled by mental illness and in significant psychological distress/trauma? Sometimes I want to take a baseball bat to the back of a person's knees* and say "Does that hurt? O rly? How sad for you. Cause that's how some people feel every hour of every day, but since their pain is rooted in their brain rather than their liver or intestines we act (=pretend) like they aren't really hurting all that much."

I agree, which is why I deliberately changed the title of the thread to say "physically fit" instead of "healthy".
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.