Author Topic: Being gay and Christianity.  (Read 67748 times)

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
Re: Being gay and Christianity.
« Reply #585 on: August 31, 2016, 02:56:20 PM »
even if so called "gay marriage" is for decades monogamous, it is still "with whomever they please."

There's a bottom line aspect to the issue, with a take it or leave it.

What is your point, other than to spew a bit of venom so that someone who has just got up the courage to post will feel unwelcome?
No, to put in the antidote to the poison that has been mixed in here.

As to what you claim we assUme, look at your local "Pride Parade" to see where people might be getting such ideas.

I don't live in the US, thank heavens. So our Pride Parades are fairly civilized.

Why is gay marriage such an offense to you personally? How are you hurt by it?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #586 on: August 31, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
even if so called "gay marriage" is for decades monogamous, it is still "with whomever they please."

What is your point, other than to spew a bit of venom so that someone who has just got up the courage to post will feel unwelcome?

As to what you claim we assUme, look at your local "Pride Parade" to see where people might be getting such ideas.

I don't live in the US, thank heavens. So our Pride Parades are fairly civilized.

I'm not "personally hurt" either by starving children in Africa. I'm against African famine (especially the man made kind) all the same.

Civilized. Often a projection of the sanctimonious.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:04:16 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #587 on: August 31, 2016, 03:08:10 PM »
It's a wedding banquet, not a bacchanal.

On the contrary, a married couple engaging in mutual masturbation to please each other lacks the characteristics of sin,
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #588 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »

I'm not "personally hurt" either by starving children in Africa. I'm against African famine (especially the man made kind) all the same.

[/b]

You're the one who brought up how offensive Pride Parades are, not me. So don't bring up sanctimonious.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #589 on: August 31, 2016, 03:35:55 PM »

They are different in the US? Never been in one but just by observing folks on town the supposed participants (stereotypes, I know) around here are dressing a bit more colorfully than usually but otherwise people seem pretty normal. One sees colorful clothing during student parties and mayday festivies too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:40:34 PM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #590 on: August 31, 2016, 05:09:29 PM »

They are different in the US? Never been in one but just by observing folks on town the supposed participants (stereotypes, I know) around here are dressing a bit more colorfully than usually but otherwise people seem pretty normal. One sees colorful clothing during student parties and mayday festivies too.

Isa should like them since in Chicago at least they are an endless string of corporate logos . He loves corporations.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #591 on: August 31, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »
in Chicago at least they are an endless string of corporate logos . He loves corporations.

The same is true here. Corporate showing off at gay prides is even more perverse than leather-clad homos.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:17:10 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #592 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »

Isa should like them since in Chicago at least they are an endless string of corporate logos . He loves corporations.
Another example of Marx compelling false witness?

The logos are useful to advertise whom to avoid.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #593 on: August 31, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »

You're the one who brought up how offensive Pride Parades are, not me. So don't bring up sanctimonious.
I didn't bring up sanctimony.

You did.

You also brought up the Pride Parades when-with disingenuity?-you projected an assUmption about the thinking about homosexual behavior.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #594 on: August 31, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »

Its probably a bit too cold in Finland for US style parades.

Linking as some might consider it to be inappropriate...
http://www.americasfreedomfighters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/gay_pride_parade.jpg
God bless!

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #595 on: August 31, 2016, 06:02:45 PM »

On the contrary, a married couple engaging in mutual masturbation to please each other lacks the characteristics of sin,
Your point? if you have one.

Or perhaps daddy didn't tell you what happens after the reception on the wedding night (and some places during-but not at-the banquet).

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #596 on: August 31, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »

You can see on youtube, e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b62WT5AP6OU

I know people who live near the parade route in Chicago who have to vacate with their children when that date approaches.

Mardi Gras is just as bad in New Orleans, and elsewhere.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #597 on: August 31, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »

Like everyone else, you are quite selective as to which aspects of tradition you want to push versus ignore.

Or perhaps daddy didn't tell you what happens after the reception on the wedding night (and some places during-but not at-the banquet).

I wasn't aware that masturbation was how marriages are consummated in your family. Interesting custom.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #598 on: August 31, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »

Like everyone else, you are quite selective as to which aspects of tradition you want to push versus ignore.
ah, so your point is only to project.

I wasn't aware that masturbation was how marriages are consummated in your family. Interesting custom.
I wasn't aware of your family's tradition of "lights out, eyes closed, no foreplay-or play at all-get it over ASAP to get the seed in" approach to the marital bed. Can't say that is terribly interesting, but whatever rows your boat.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #599 on: August 31, 2016, 07:19:20 PM »

Its probably a bit too cold in Finland for US style parades.
It's quite warm in the summer.

Online Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #600 on: August 31, 2016, 07:48:27 PM »
Thread locked pending moderator review.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #601 on: September 09, 2016, 12:45:28 PM »
Dear augustin717,

I had to remove a post you made that crossed the line into an appropriate sexual discussion.

I also removed Trisagion and ialmisry's posts that responded to your's.  I'm giving you all a fair warning.  Be careful what you discuss, as well as what you respond to (that goes for Trisagion and ialmisry).  If you do not know what crosses the line, send me a PM or, better yet, just don't post.

Next...

ah, so your point is only to project.

I wasn't aware of your family's tradition of "lights out, eyes closed, no foreplay-or play at all-get it over ASAP to get the seed in" approach to the marital bed. Can't say that is terribly interesting, but whatever rows your boat.

Iconodule and ialmisry, knock it off both of you.  Keep your respective families out of this.

I will unlock this thread in a few minutes.  I ask everyone to behave and get back on topic.

God bless.

Mina
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:55:53 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #602 on: October 12, 2016, 09:23:26 PM »

Wait, so why is it OK for you to totally change your church's understanding of what is and isn't acceptable sex, but it isn't OK for those Orthodox (and they do exist) who want gay marriage?
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #603 on: October 13, 2016, 08:59:50 AM »

Wait, so why is it OK for you to totally change your church's understanding of what is and isn't acceptable sex, but it isn't OK for those Orthodox (and they do exist) who want gay marriage?
I would imagine that it is because one is done within the bounds of marriage, and one is an impossibility.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #604 on: October 13, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »

While I disagree with your position on gay marriage, I agree with you that Isa is inconsistent on this issue. He seems to be ok with sodomy in certain contexts.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:57:45 AM by Papist »
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
« Reply #605 on: October 13, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »
Some groups need to examine why they're Christians and their reasons for so.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #606 on: October 13, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »
sodomy
Sorry sir, this bay is for outgoing packages only. Receivables are just around the corner.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #607 on: October 13, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »

I would imagine that it is because one is done within the bounds of marriage, and one is an impossibility.

PP

And can there be no sin in a marriage?  In marriage is all things acceptable?  Can you lie to your spouse, and it's OK, because it's in marriage? 

Just saying "Well it's within the bounds of marriage," doesn't justify something.  If it did, spousal abuse would be a praiseworthy activity.

And it's well established tradition in the East (and the West) that it's quite easy for a married couple to have sinful sex.  Fr. Hopko certainly thought so.  It's also why pretty much every (if not actually every) penitential in the Orthodox Church, ever, included anal sex between spouses.  Not all sex is acceptable, just because it's in a marriage bed.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #608 on: October 14, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »
And can there be no sin in a marriage?  In marriage is all things acceptable?  Can you lie to your spouse, and it's OK, because it's in marriage? 
Of course there can be. however, you can not equate sexual sin in marriage (which is totally a thing) with something that can not really BE marriage (a homosexual "marriage") they are separate issues. even if the current fad is that they are not.

PP
Gregory the Great

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #609 on: October 14, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Of course there can be. however, you can not equate sexual sin in marriage (which is totally a thing) with something that can not really BE marriage (a homosexual "marriage") they are separate issues. even if the current fad is that they are not.

PP

What are the differences?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #610 on: October 14, 2016, 03:02:17 PM »

PP

All of the old penitentials did.  So why can't I?

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »
For years, studies have linked marriage with happiness among heterosexual couples. But a study from the UW School of Social Work is among the first to explore the potential benefits of marriage among LGBT couples. It is part of a national, groundbreaking longitudinal study with a representative sample of LGBT older adults, known as "Aging with Pride: National Health, Aging, Sexuality/Gender Study," which focuses on how historical, environmental, psychological, behavioral, social and biological factors are associated with health, aging and quality of life.

UW researchers found that LGBT study participants who were married reported better physical and mental health, more social support and greater financial resources than those who were single. The findings were published in a February special supplement of The Gerontologist.
Researchers found that, in general, participants in a relationship, whether married or in a long-term partnership, showed better health outcomes than those who were single. But those who were married fared even better, both socially and financially, than couples in unmarried, long-term partnerships.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:40:58 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #612 on: April 16, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
The issue of Gay marriage seems to me to be addressed when Jesus confronted the Temple Elders, and told them the law is not written in stone.
It is written in the heart.

He was saying that the law of God is evolving in love for one another, In my humble opinion.

I am not gay, but I have grown up with a neighbor who was born that way.

And there is scientific proof of the differences.

This knowledge informs our heart's with God's wisdom to not judge them.
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #613 on: April 16, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
I used to bash Christianity for this, but now I see that the naturalistic fallacy is garbage. Guess what? Natural doesn't mean good, or better, or superior. Neither are all relationships or sexual experiences equal. That's the reality. Whether gay people are born that way or not, they are the statistical minority and as such they need to keep their sexual heterodoxy to themselves.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #614 on: April 16, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »
For years, studies have linked marriage with happiness among heterosexual couples. But a study from the UW School of Social Work is among the first to explore the potential benefits of marriage among LGBT couples. It is part of a national, groundbreaking longitudinal study with a representative sample of LGBT older adults, known as "Aging with Pride: National Health, Aging, Sexuality/Gender Study," which focuses on how historical, environmental, psychological, behavioral, social and biological factors are associated with health, aging and quality of life.

UW researchers found that LGBT study participants who were married reported better physical and mental health, more social support and greater financial resources than those who were single. The findings were published in a February special supplement of The Gerontologist.
Researchers found that, in general, participants in a relationship, whether married or in a long-term partnership, showed better health outcomes than those who were single. But those who were married fared even better, both socially and financially, than couples in unmarried, long-term partnerships.
It says nothing at all that gay people generally don't enjoy being alone. They're human beings, so this is an obvious outcome.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #615 on: April 16, 2017, 07:53:30 PM »

It says nothing at all that gay people generally don't enjoy being alone. They're human beings, so this is an obvious outcome.

I think the point in the piece is that committed companionship, even of a socially unacceptable kind, will still have beneficial effects on people's physical and mental health, that are not countered by social disapproval.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #616 on: April 16, 2017, 08:23:48 PM »
The issue of Gay marriage seems to me to be addressed when Jesus confronted the Temple Elders, and told them the law is not written in stone.
It is written in the heart.

He was saying that the law of God is evolving in love for one another, In my humble opinion.

I am not gay, but I have grown up with a neighbor who was born that way.

And there is scientific proof of the differences.

This knowledge informs our heart's with God's wisdom to not judge them.
I believe some people are born with certain predilections towards, but I've never seen scientific proof. All the things I've read arguing that have been rather thin. Still, it makes sense. People are born with all sorts of predispositions towards a variety of things. I'm not sure how it follows that God is now accepting of it.
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #617 on: April 16, 2017, 09:59:56 PM »
Just because people are "born that way" doesn't mean God intends for it that way.  That's like saying God wants people to be obese or depressed or bipolar.

No, it's a stupid argument for homosexuality, and the use of Christ is out of context and dishonest. St. Paul was very clear against sexual immorality, and named specifically in the book of Romans something that clearly describes homosexuality
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:02:11 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #618 on: April 16, 2017, 10:03:49 PM »

I think the point in the piece is that committed companionship, even of a socially unacceptable kind, will still have beneficial effects on people's physical and mental health, that are not countered by social disapproval.

+1

And I'm pretty sure there are some committed companionships that even gay people don't want to be associated with that can also have similar results

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #619 on: April 21, 2017, 08:48:04 PM »
Just because people are "born that way" doesn't mean God intends for it that way.  That's like saying God wants people to be obese or depressed or bipolar.

No, it's a stupid argument for homosexuality, and the use of Christ is out of context and dishonest. St. Paul was very clear against sexual immorality, and named specifically in the book of Romans something that clearly describes homosexuality

When Jesus said that man was born that way so the glory of God could be seen, In John 9
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Heals the Man Born Blind
1As Jesus was passing by, He saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” 3Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened that the works of God would be displayed in him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are arguing that everyone is to be alike.

God makes us different for a reason, His Glory is not for us to decide.

God works in mysterious ways.

Most of all, is to love your neighbor, like yourself.

Not the laws, Jesus argued with the Temple leaders.
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Online Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #620 on: April 21, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
So God does make murderers and adulterers.  When I'm my worst, I'm simply doing my job as a beautiful flower in God's garden giving him glory.  Awesome! 
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #621 on: April 21, 2017, 10:00:24 PM »

When Jesus said that man was born that way so the glory of God could be seen, In John 9
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1As Jesus was passing by, He saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” 3Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened that the works of God would be displayed in him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last time I checked, being blind was not a sin. Engaging in homosexual activity is indeed a sin. The Church clearly says so.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #622 on: April 22, 2017, 12:45:57 AM »

Non sequitor my dear friend.  Your argument is invalid and does not support the idea that homosexual acts are not, according to the Scriptures and the New Testament, sinful.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #623 on: April 22, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »

There are a number of issues with your arguments.
1. Blindness is not a sin whereas homosexual acts are
2. Christ then proceeded to heal him, stating that the reason he was born blind was so that God's power might be shown in him
3. Acknowledging that homosexual acts are sinful in no way implies that we expect everyone to be alike.  Homosexuality is not the only diversity within the human race
4. God works in mysterious ways, but that doesn't include embracing sin
5. How is encouraging people to lead righteous lives not loving them? I can certainly understand having an issue with people who are saying "OMG, gayz are gross!!1!! they shud burn in helll!!!1!". But that is not the Christian response to homosexuality, and certainly not how the Church has ever approached the matter.
6. You can't just proclaim every moral precept as a pharisaical law. Christ quite vigorously advocated for us to be holy. Certainly we don't need to be slavishly following the legal dietary requirements and the ceremonial laws of the OT, but that is very different from holiness. Christ did not call us to a libertine lifestyle.
God bless!

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #624 on: April 22, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
There are a number of issues with your arguments.
1. Blindness is not a sin whereas homosexual acts are
2. Christ then proceeded to heal him, stating that the reason he was born blind was so that God's power might be shown in him
3. Acknowledging that homosexual acts are sinful in no way implies that we expect everyone to be alike.  Homosexuality is not the only diversity within the human race
4. God works in mysterious ways, but that doesn't include embracing sin
5. How is encouraging people to lead righteous lives not loving them? I can certainly understand having an issue with people who are saying "OMG, gayz are gross!!1!! they shud burn in helll!!!1!". But that is not the Christian response to homosexuality, and certainly not how the Church has ever approached the matter.
6. You can't just proclaim every moral precept as a pharisaical law. Christ quite vigorously advocated for us to be holy. Certainly we don't need to be slavishly following the legal dietary requirements and the ceremonial laws of the OT, but that is very different from holiness. Christ did not call us to a libertine lifestyle.
+10
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #625 on: April 22, 2017, 05:02:47 PM »
OMG, gayz are gross!!1!! they shud burn in helll!!!1!". But that is not the Christian response to homosexuality, and certainly not how the Church has ever approached the matter.
###########%%%%%%%%########%%%%%%
That's a lot of wishful thinking in there. I'm n many locales that's exactly how the church still approaches the matter.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #626 on: April 23, 2017, 12:27:44 AM »
And that's sad.  It's probably why there is a great struggle to preach the gospel properly.  Unless the Church changes its attitude, we will lose based on our hypocrisy.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #627 on: April 23, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »
And that's sad.  It's probably why there is a great struggle to preach the gospel properly.  Unless the Church changes its attitude, we will lose based on our hypocrisy.

You mean change the attitude that sinners should be repentant? Yeah, that's what's needed.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #628 on: April 23, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »

You mean change the attitude that sinners should be repentant? Yeah, that's what's needed.

No, but the distaste towards this sin above others is... unhelpful. There is often very little compassion shown towards someone dealing with it.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #629 on: April 23, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
+1

Of course we do not change the idea that they should repent, but we should not treat them as the worst of all, giving them a feeling they're not welcome to the spiritual hospital of which we all need repentance in.

Sadly, that's not the case.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:13:37 PM by minasoliman »