Author Topic: Who Fears Yoga?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • Elder
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
Who Fears Yoga?
« on: June 23, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
georgy

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Re: Who Fears Yoga?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:24:53 PM »
What do you wish to discuss exactly?  That this article and its opinions contained therein should override anything from Eastern Orthodox hierarchy and clergy with regards to the practice of Yoga?
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 06:05:41 AM »
Elder Paisios on Yoga and Hinduism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICQzcZ7pS3w&list=PLjJEXmzbyxxVgtPYt14Q59OOfRktoTUKu&index=1

Video title added to make post compliant with forum rule against naked links.  -PtA
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:42:43 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 06:09:05 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 06:21:44 AM »
"Naked" links - links posted without a description of what is being linked to - are not permitted.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=rules

OP: Promotion. You're doing it wrong.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:14:47 AM »
it is a link to youtube video obviously related to the topic, but ill keep that forum rule in mind for the future.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:15:21 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »
What do you wish to discuss exactly?  That this article and its opinions contained therein should override anything from Eastern Orthodox hierarchy and clergy with regards to the practice of Yoga?

+1
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:35:47 AM »
I doubt you guys will get a response.  All this account ever does is post links to the owner's news aggregate site.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2567

Nevertheless, it seems there is an interesting discussion to be had here.  I've read a few Eastern Orthodox articles condemning yoga as something spiritually dangerous and inextricably linked to the Hindu religion.  The article cited here, and another article from the same site by an Indian Orthodox metropolitan, offer alternative points of view.  The Metropolitan goes so far as to say that "the Church understands Yoga as a spiritual exercise to instill in its practitioners awareness, tolerance, empathy, compassion and most importantly the inter-connectedness of God’s creation.”and “The Indian Orthodox Church is proud to share its lineage with yoga and uses this opportunity to raise awareness of the highly integrated indigenous character of the Orthodox Church of India".

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2015/06/metropolitan-mar-yulios-church-interprets-yoga-as-spiritual-exercise-reveals-inter-connectedness-of-gods-creation/
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
I fear no yoga. Though hot yoga seems like it'd be torturous. I have not observed any demons yet.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:03:40 AM »
I fear no yoga. Though hot yoga seems like it'd be torturous. I have not observed any demons yet.

In licenced Bikram classes, the room is heated to 105F - no hotter than a summer day down south. Demons, on the other hand... I hear they're trim, flexible, and favour barely-adequate breathable microfibre. :police:
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:12:12 AM »
In licenced Bikram classes, the room is heated to 105F - no hotter than a summer day down south.

I thought you guys averaged about 22 °C "down south"?  ???
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 10:29:57 AM »
In licenced Bikram classes, the room is heated to 105F - no hotter than a summer day down south.

she clearly means Egypt as 'down south'  ;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 10:55:09 AM »

she clearly means Egypt as 'down south'  ;)

Because in India, 105F is cool. :D

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 11:31:15 AM »
I've read a few Eastern Orthodox articles condemning yoga as something spiritually dangerous and inextricably linked to the Hindu religion.  The article cited here, and another article from the same site by an Indian Orthodox metropolitan, offer alternative points of view. 

Yes, and they need to be heard because some of those EO sources condemn yoga and all but explicitly dogmatise Western medicine as the only canonical form of healthcare, despite not knowing much about either.  That's stupid. 

The Metropolitan goes so far as to say that "the Church understands Yoga as a spiritual exercise to instill in its practitioners awareness, tolerance, empathy, compassion and most importantly the inter-connectedness of God’s creation.”and “The Indian Orthodox Church is proud to share its lineage with yoga and uses this opportunity to raise awareness of the highly integrated indigenous character of the Orthodox Church of India".

Personally, I would recommend Dr M Kurian Thomas' article over the Metropolitan's letter.  The former offers a more balanced and consistent view.  I'm not sure what's going on with HG's letter.  Is it a bad translation from Malayalam?  Did someone string together some random thoughts haphazardly?  Is the letter not really about yoga at all?  All and more are possible.  Frankly, I'm not impressed.  Even what you cited about how "the Church understands Yoga" cannot possibly be true.  AFAIK, the Church has never pronounced on yoga and her own laity sometimes have the same kinds of confusion about the appropriateness of yoga for Christians that non-Indian Christians have.  It's all rather over the top.   
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
I've read a few Eastern Orthodox articles condemning yoga as something spiritually dangerous and inextricably linked to the Hindu religion.  The article cited here, and another article from the same site by an Indian Orthodox metropolitan, offer alternative points of view. 

Yes, and they need to be heard because some of those EO sources condemn yoga and all but explicitly dogmatise Western medicine as the only canonical form of healthcare, despite not knowing much about either.  That's stupid. 

The Metropolitan goes so far as to say that "the Church understands Yoga as a spiritual exercise to instill in its practitioners awareness, tolerance, empathy, compassion and most importantly the inter-connectedness of God’s creation.”and “The Indian Orthodox Church is proud to share its lineage with yoga and uses this opportunity to raise awareness of the highly integrated indigenous character of the Orthodox Church of India".

Personally, I would recommend Dr M Kurian Thomas' article over the Metropolitan's letter.  The former offers a more balanced and consistent view.  I'm not sure what's going on with HG's letter.  Is it a bad translation from Malayalam?  Did someone string together some random thoughts haphazardly?  Is the letter not really about yoga at all?  All and more are possible.  Frankly, I'm not impressed.  Even what you cited about how "the Church understands Yoga" cannot possibly be true.  AFAIK, the Church has never pronounced on yoga and her own laity sometimes have the same kinds of confusion about the appropriateness of yoga for Christians that non-Indian Christians have.  It's all rather over the top.   

Frankly, I'm not sure exactly what to believe, and I value the opinion of the Indian Church as she would have the most experience with the practice and be closest to the subject.  I know I'm usually one of the "strong opinion" guys on these boards, but only on stuff I know about, and on this subject, that's next to nothing.  I'd like to know more.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 12:35:17 PM »
Seasons don't fear the yoga, nor do the winds, the sun and the rain.  (We can be like they are)

Apologies to BOC
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
Personally I think he was a great catcher but a better manager.
Oh, what? This is not the baseball forum?  ???

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 04:03:50 PM »
I fear hot yoga because, you know, mold.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Irish45

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 06:03:08 PM »
I would like to add my thoughts on this topic. 

Yoga is incredible exercise.  It can be stripped of all spiritual elements and made into an exercise routine.   I believe this to be true, but for the poorly catechized, it is not without spiritual danger.   Here are my personal observations practicing DDP Yoga.

When you get into a regular yoga routine, about a month into it, you notice incredible results.  I am not talking about weight here.  I am talking total body as well as mind.  Aches and pains recede(I'm talking major improvement), you have less stress and anxiety. You feel more fit because yoga doesn't isolate muscles like strength training, you are truly building the whole body.   The results are so good, that it would be VERY VERY easy for a person to think something divine is going on.  The danger is those results could peak the curiosity of a person who feels so good from Yoga, that they start to think perhaps there is something more to yoga than just the physical improvements, and thus explore the spirituality attached to yoga.   

If you are properly catechized,  I feel you can practice yoga with no harm.  Now excuse me while I convince myself to get back into an exercise routine!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »

Yoga is incredible exercise.  It can be stripped of all spiritual elements and made into an exercise routine.   I believe this to be true, but for the poorly catechized, it is not without spiritual danger.   Here are my personal observations practicing DDP Yoga.

When you get into a regular yoga routine, about a month into it, you notice incredible results.  I am not talking about weight here.  I am talking total body as well as mind.  Aches and pains recede(I'm talking major improvement), you have less stress and anxiety. You feel more fit because yoga doesn't isolate muscles like strength training, you are truly building the whole body.   The results are so good, that it would be VERY VERY easy for a person to think something divine is going on.  The danger is those results could peak the curiosity of a person who feels so good from Yoga, that they start to think perhaps there is something more to yoga than just the physical improvements, and thus explore the spirituality attached to yoga.   

If you are properly catechized,  I feel you can practice yoga with no harm.  Now excuse me while I convince myself to get back into an exercise routine!

An actual contribution to the discussion!  Thank you!

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »

If you're not used to the heat.  I haven't done it in a while, but the heat helps you get deeper into the poses and all the sweating is very cleansing.  I like to refer to it as yoga bootcamp.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »
I've said this before, not to be boring, but there are other good exercise routines out there, if you think yoga is not good. Bike riding, swimming, tennis, shooting hoops, walking - there are lots of things to do. I get a park pass every year.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »
Yoga is incredible exercise.  It can be stripped of all spiritual elements and made into an exercise routine.

Setting aside the fact that yoga as practiced in the West is very modern and not as rooted in ancient Indian traditions as some think...

Nothing can be stripped of spiritual elements, though some spiritual elements can be replaced with others. In the case of yoga, there is no unified spiritual underpinning to it, anymore than Hinduism is a unified religion.

Consider the four elements and other aspects of Greek cosmology which were adopted by the early Church from pagan philosophy. There is no reason a similar approach can't be taken to yoga.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 10:38:48 PM »
Once read yoga was something to do as a warm up and cool down activity prior to fighting, as a warrior would do such.
A warriors exercise and the "peace" came after vanquishing the enemy/opponent. So it's "spiritual" as in "thank Vishnu I didn't get dead" or some such thingy.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 12:13:45 AM »
As I stated in another yoga thread, I approve of yoga pants; how then can I fear yoga?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 07:57:46 AM »
It's the yoga mat we fear.
And the ghost of the Yankees Manager.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 08:17:53 AM »

You made this joke already and no one bit.  Try Yoda or Yogi Bear.  :P

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 08:46:38 AM »

You made this joke already and no one bit.  Try Yoda or Yogi Bear.  :P

Problem is, I am old enough to miss the Bear and did fear the manager, young one. If you only coulda been there! The Stump was FIERCE.
But you're better off.

Offline sheep100

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Yoga pants are proof it is a demonically inspired activity.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »

The passions are fierce.  It is a cross I must bear.  This is why I am not a member of a yoga club, neither do I go to suburban supermarkets during the day; rather, as one who dutifully fights against sin, I shop at Walmart at 2 in the morning....there are no temptations then.  Well, there are, just none that I want.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
rather, as one who dutifully fights against sin, I shop at Walmart at 2 in the morning....there are no temptations then.  Well, there are, just none that I want.

Tatty PJs are no match for Lululemon gear. :angel:

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »

I'm uh...easily inspired...but yoga pants just don't do it for me.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »

Good strength training shouldn't isolate muscles so much as strengthen entire groups, for example: squats, deadlifts, overhead press, and bench press.  In addition to the groups, if done with good form and a barbell you also exercise balance muscles and secondary groups as well.

My friend sees yoga as good compliment to weight lifting.  His wife is a yoga teacher, Orthodox, and got permission from her priest to practice it.  He wrote to the bishop before giving his blessing.  Basically, the bishop said to not do any of the pagan bullshizzle and treat it as an exercise.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »
I don't fear yoga. I do fear yogurt sometimes, 'cause when I go to the store and they don't have my favorite flavor that week, it messes up everything.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

• Taxiarches
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »
Problem is, I am old enough to miss the Bear and did fear the manager, young one. If you only coulda been there! The Stump was FIERCE.
But you're better off.

What did Yogi Berra do to you, dear old man, that you fear not only him but his wandering shade?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »

If loving yoga pants is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
Yoga is incredible exercise.  It can be stripped of all spiritual elements and made into an exercise routine.

Setting aside the fact that yoga as practiced in the West is very modern and not as rooted in ancient Indian traditions as some think...

Nothing can be stripped of spiritual elements, though some spiritual elements can be replaced with others. In the case of yoga, there is no unified spiritual underpinning to it, anymore than Hinduism is a unified religion.

Consider the four elements and other aspects of Greek cosmology which were adopted by the early Church from pagan philosophy. There is no reason a similar approach can't be taken to yoga.

Well, I somewhat recognize a "four elements" idea in Genesis chapter 1 as well, or something similar to it.  It seems to be a cosmology that was implied throughout the world, maybe adding another element or two in the mix.

I was the title was: "Are you afraid of the Yoga"?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 02:27:30 PM »

Personally, I would recommend Dr M Kurian Thomas' article over the Metropolitan's letter.  The former offers a more balanced and consistent view. 
Dear Mor,

May I please ask if you could see if there is anything in Mayalayam on Yoga to give us more insight?
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2016, 01:37:02 AM »

Personally, I would recommend Dr M Kurian Thomas' article over the Metropolitan's letter.  The former offers a more balanced and consistent view. 
Dear Mor,

May I please ask if you could see if there is anything in Mayalayam on Yoga to give us more insight?

Why are you picking on Mor Ephrem? Why don't you instead pray for your own salvation? Hmm?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:39:29 AM by mcarmichael »
Coach Mike Mularkey: "I an only a humble cog, in a much larger (and more glorious) machine (television)."
To my shame, I may have been very drunk when I wrote this.
"Learn meditation." - Sun Tzu
to me @mark2carmichael on twitter
Darth Vader isn't stupid, it's something else.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 02:04:14 AM »
Why are you picking on Mor Ephrem? Why don't you instead pray for your own salvation? Hmm?
Hello, Mcarmichael!
I am not trying to pick on Mor, but rather I want to learn what Malankaran Orthodox say on this topic, and Mor Ephrem here is the only one I know on the forum speaks Malayalam and could find what they write online on the topic.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 02:05:02 AM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2016, 02:10:36 AM »
Hello, Mcarmichael!
I am not trying to pick on Mor, but rather I want to learn what Malankaran Orthodox say on this topic, and Mor Ephrem here is the only one I know on the forum speaks Malayalam and could find what they write online on the topic.
Are you sure? Because I have the distinct impression that you are making an attempt at a parody, and that it is not working. However....
Coach Mike Mularkey: "I an only a humble cog, in a much larger (and more glorious) machine (television)."
To my shame, I may have been very drunk when I wrote this.
"Learn meditation." - Sun Tzu
to me @mark2carmichael on twitter
Darth Vader isn't stupid, it's something else.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2016, 02:15:36 AM »
Are you sure? Because I have the distinct impression that you are making an attempt at a parody, and that it is not working. However....
Yes, I am sure that I want to know what Malankaran Orthodox think and that I can't speak Malayalam and that Mor is the only one here who knows it, so that is why I asked him.

Offline Charles1967

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: California
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2016, 03:49:42 AM »
Well I Fear Yogis more than yoga
Years ago .A couple of them hypnotised us without us knowing.
I saw the same thing done on a video to a store owner.
They then steal .or influince you to give them money.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2016, 03:53:10 AM »
I doubt even Yogi Berra has such powers, tbh...

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
Did some yoga last night at the Free Baltimore Yoga session in our beautiful Patterson Park and the only thing I came away with was some soreness this morning.  During the "dead man's pose" (basically laying completely flat on the ground and allowing your breath to return to normal), I say the Jesus prayer.  At the end of this particular class, the instructor led everyone through an "Om" recitation.  I refrained and, you guessed it, said the Jesus prayer.

Otherwise, for me, it's stretching with some isometric resistance practice and holding poses that strengthen muscles and improve balance.  Sure, there are instructors that get into the whole Hindu spiritual side of things, but I've yet to take a class from one of them.  For the vast majority of practitioners at the classes I attend, they're there to get some quiet, low impact exercise with others with an instructor that makes sure you're doing the poses correctly.  I started a while ago with the DDP "Yoga for Regular Guys/Gals" but after a while, I got sick of the terrible blues rock and even more terrible jokes his students crack.  I now listen to soothing elevator music and just have the instructor telling us what pose to take next.

Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:18:17 AM by Schultz »
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen