Author Topic: men wearing earrings  (Read 6309 times)

Offline Branthony

men wearing earrings
« on: June 23, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
Do you guys think it is inappropriate for a man who wears earrings to wear them in the alter if he serves?
Forgive me if I misspell something, I am dyslexic and it greatly effects my spelling.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: men wearing earrings
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:29:55 AM »
Not inappropriate in the sense of "oh you disgust me you vulgar cretin" or something like that, but yes, I does seem to me to be inappropriate...  :angel:

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:34:12 AM »
If this is about you, then ask the Priest.

if this is not about you and you are looking at someone serving....then assume the Priest has seen them and move along and don't worry about what isn't your worry.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:44:06 AM »
I'd go with this ^
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
I had fairly large earrings when I went to confession last week and wear them at church semi-regularly. Nobody seems to care.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »
After thinking about why I posted what I did, I am inclined to just edit out or strike out my previous post... but I guess I'll leave it be. It was partly rooted in a strong distinction between general/hypothetical questions and on the other hand real life examples. Or, put another way, talking about propriety in the abstract is one thing, but making judgments of real life individuals an entirely different one. As I thought about it, though, I'm not sure that this is helpful with questions like this, or doesn't sometimes cause harm of its own.   :-\

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
IMO earrings are not appropriate at church because one should dress fancy for church and piercings are not part of traditional menswear. I love my kilt too but wouldn't wear it for sunday liturgy since I'm not a Scott. But then again as stated before I'm not abiding by my own rules so...  :P
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:17:48 PM »
IMO earrings are not appropriate at church because one should dress fancy for church and piercings are not part of traditional menswear. I love my kilt too but wouldn't wear it for sunday liturgy since I'm not a Scott. But then again as stated before I'm not abiding by my own rules so...  :P

Have to agree not appropriate - especially the bolded part.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
What is the history of men wearing earrings?  Was it ever about of traditional male dress like excessive jewelry for the rich males in India for example?  I read that high heels for example were first worn by men.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:15:43 PM by Orest »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
Do you guys think it is inappropriate for a man who wears earrings to wear them in the alter if he serves?

Yes. 
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 01:44:26 PM »

Yes.
What about chin gauges?

EDIT: Removed picture
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:56:33 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
^ eewww...did we really need that????

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
Probably not. Fixed it.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 01:57:18 PM »
Why do people do these things to themselves?
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
now see -that- is right out.....food would leak out...thus other things would too...

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »

Men wear earrings? I never understood it either *shrugs*  But to each their own I suppose (for my part I like getting ink injected into my body by a needle puncturing my skin thousands of times).

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »

Because it's rebellious...in a conformist sort of way.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 03:54:57 PM »
Why do women do it?
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »
Why do women do it?

Because I desperately seek approval. And I like jewelry.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »

Yes.
What about chin gauges?

Good God! Why?  Why?  Why???  And I thought ear gauges were bad enough!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:18:22 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 04:23:07 PM »
What about cultures in which piercings on men are part of the traditional dress, like in South America for instance?
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »

Yes.
What about chin gauges?

Don't forget lip plates (which are worn in Africa by women and South America by men).

There was a Far Side cartoon showing dogs in the jungle wearing them.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:26:48 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »

Yes.
What about chin gauges?

Don't forget lip plates (which are worn in Africa by women and South America by men).

Hopefully one day, they will be converted out of that.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 05:28:52 PM »
What is the history of men wearing earrings?  Was it ever about of traditional male dress like excessive jewelry for the rich males in India for example?  I read that high heels for example were first worn by men.

I don't know about Mor Ephrems but at least around here they started as a subculture phenomenon. And they remain casual when it comes to menswear. Nothing wrong with casual style of course but everything has it's time and place.

Offline Branthony

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
Ok, the question was about me, I did ask my priest and got the expected, "no you can't wear them" which is fine. I had my ears gaged out before but my wife didn't like it, so I took them out. She now wants me to put them back in. When you gage your ears you need time to heal and can't take them out. I asked my priest so that I would know when to put them in, if I put them in Sunday afternoon after liturgy they will heal enough to take them out during liturgy. I asked here in case he said that I could wear them. If he thought it was fine and most of you did to, I would wear them, but if he said yes and you all said no then I wouldn't. I wouldn't want someone to stumble because of my fashion choices. However outside of serving in the alter (unless my priest says otherwise) I will wear them.
Forgive me if I misspell something, I am dyslexic and it greatly effects my spelling.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 05:33:07 PM »
Seems like your priest's heart belongs to ROCOR.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »
Ok, the question was about me, I did ask my priest and got the expected, "no you can't wear them" which is fine. I had my ears gaged out before but my wife didn't like it, so I took them out. She now wants me to put them back in. When you gage your ears you need time to heal and can't take them out. I asked my priest so that I would know when to put them in, if I put them in Sunday afternoon after liturgy they will heal enough to take them out during liturgy. I asked here in case he said that I could wear them. If he thought it was fine and most of you did to, I would wear them, but if he said yes and you all said no then I wouldn't. I wouldn't want someone to stumble because of my fashion choices. However outside of serving in the alter (unless my priest says otherwise) I will wear them.

I personally would not stumble if I saw you in church like that.  I react as I would to my own cousins, as a form of love.  In no way is it a judge of your character to tell you to take something off.  I personally don't like them, but it is between you and your priest, and he knows best his flock and your heart.

Offline Branthony

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »

I'm not sure what that means, he is a ROCOR priest...

I personally would not stumble if I saw you in church like that.  I react as I would to my own cousins, as a form of love.  In no way is it a judge of your character to tell you to take something off.  I personally don't like them, but it is between you and your priest, and he knows best his flock and your heart.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »
In other words, your priest trumps what others say here..

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 06:13:29 PM »

Offline Branthony

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 06:54:28 PM »

Of course he does, are there folks who would argue with their priest because someone said something different on here?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 07:00:06 PM »

Of course he does, are there folks who would argue with their priest because someone said something different on here?

Well you said:

If he thought it was fine and most of you did to, I would wear them, but if he said yes and you all said no then I wouldn't.

Which is in fact putting us in front of him , if he said yes and you listened to our 'no'

Offline Branthony

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »

Well you said:

If he thought it was fine and most of you did to, I would wear them, but if he said yes and you all said no then I wouldn't.

Which is in fact putting us in front of him , if he said yes and you listened to our 'no'

Yes but he said no, if you had said yes I wouldn't try to wear them or argue with him. The reason I would not wear them if you said no and he said yes has nothing to do with him but with the general orthodox opinion. I would prefer not to scandalize anyone even if my priest has no issue.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »

Well you said:

I don't think a priest would be saying: "Yes, I want you to wear ear gauges." If a priest would, I would imagine it would be more like: "I suppose I will allow it." In which case I think it would be perfectly ok to ask others what their thoughts on the matter are.
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 08:16:33 PM »

Well you said:

I don't think a priest would be saying: "Yes, I want you to wear ear gauges." If a priest would, I would imagine it would be more like: "I suppose I will allow it." In which case I think it would be perfectly ok to ask others what their thoughts on the matter are.

yes...but taking what the OC.net hierarchy says rather than taking ones Priest at his word.....and thus doing what we say and not what he approves.....is precisely what he said 'no one would do'......yet he stated he would do that....;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 08:28:57 PM »
I'm confused, but that is my normal state, so carry on.  ;D
God bless!

Offline Branthony

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 09:06:56 PM »

Well you said:

yes...but taking what the OC.net hierarchy says rather than taking ones Priest at his word.....and thus doing what we say and not what he approves.....is precisely what he said 'no one would do'......yet he stated he would do that....;)

You either misunderstood what my intentions were or you are just trolling me. I'm going to assume that you simply misunderstood and move on since I have already tried to explain it as best I can and apparently failed. Forgive me.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »
I'm glad you are following what your priest says.  God bless you.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 09:24:06 PM »
I think one should stop carring so much about the flesh and care about what their priest says. If he asked you to take them out to serve in the Altar than do what he says. If you want to battle your pride and keep them in than don't serve in the Altar. What does it matter anyway? When you die the worms are going to make a buffet out of your ears anyway. What is the point of trying to get your way just so you can keep some silly ear rings in?

I know what it's like. I had my ears guaged to a 5/8th. Just go get them closed up by a doctor and then everyone is happy. Why do we need them anyway? Doesn't St. Paul say not to worry about what you wear!? Doesn't the Bible also say for men to not dress like women?

I know my comments arn't always the most popular and they can upset people but seriously - earrings, of all the things we could be talking about  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:25:25 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline Branthony

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 09:28:06 PM »
I think one should stop carring so much about the flesh and care about what their priest says. If he asked you to take them out to serve in the Altar than do what he says. If you want to battle your pride and keep them in than don't serve in the Altar. What does it matter anyway? When you die the worms are going to make a buffet out of your ears anyway. What is the point of trying to get your way just so you can keep some silly ear rings in?

I know what it's like. I had my ears guaged to a 5/8th. Just go get them closed up by a doctor and then everyone is happy. Why do we need them anyway? Doesn't St. Paul say not to worry about what you wear!? Doesn't the Bible also say for men to not dress like women?

I know my comments arn't always the most popular and they can upset people but seriously - earrings, of all the things we could be talking about  ;)

I'm not fighting my priest, I will gladly take them out when I serve. I'm not sure what is going on here. This is why I haven't posted here in such a long time. Folks search for drama even when there is none. Ahhhhhh!!!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »

I'm not fighting my priest, I will gladly take them out when I serve. I'm not sure what is going on here. This is why I haven't posted here in such a long time. Folks search for drama even when there is none. Ahhhhhh!!!

Please show me where I said you were fighting your priest?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »

True. It is best to just not respond to about 80% of the responses and just find the ones that are actually helpful.
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 09:41:11 PM »
That implies 20% helpful.

Way over estimating there Tri

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
That implies 20% helpful.

Way over estimating there Tri
I try to be generous.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2015, 03:15:43 AM »
That's only half of the demographic because you still have the people who are reading the post which could be letting ego get in the way. Those types only hear what they want to and if it isn't something they like they don't take the advise.

Raylight

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2015, 03:34:17 AM »
I had fairly large earrings when I went to confession last week and wear them at church semi-regularly. Nobody seems to care.

IMO, men who wear earnings are sexy.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »
Earnings are inapropriate for males and females both.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2015, 11:44:52 PM »

In the Bible there are several references to earrings, and also nose rings!

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2015, 03:46:29 AM »

Old testament or new?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2015, 04:12:06 AM »

Old testament or new?

Old.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Branthony

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
Earrings on men are becoming a social norm. Even tattoos and facial piercings are normal now. There is nothing Sinful about them, so it is something that we all should get used to. If we start demanding folks take them out just to come to church (I was asking about wearing them in the altar,as apposed to just attending liturgy) then we're going to have a hard time getting folks in our parishes. This isn't something that we really need to make a stand against, at least that is my opinion, and. I think it would be the same if I didn't like earrings and tattoos.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 09:48:43 AM »
Earrings on men are becoming a social norm. Even tattoos and facial piercings are normal now. There is nothing Sinful about them,

Please provide evidence from Church tradition for this.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 10:01:29 AM »
Earrings on men are becoming a social norm. Even tattoos and facial piercings are normal now. There is nothing Sinful about them, so it is something that we all should get used to

Back in the day, the Fathers scolded women for vanity if they wore jewels hanging from their ears. I get liking your bling, but plastic plugs an inch across are not even bling (and neither are bits of surgical steel rammed through skin and cartilage, since you brought it up). It's all shock value and 'lookitmeeeee, how much pain and infection I can handle!'. So yeah, vanity at best, idiocy at worst.

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »
Tattoos and piercings are different things.  You can't pop off a tattoo.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Branthony

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2015, 10:23:26 AM »
there is very little pain involved and I am not after any kind of shock value. I like the way it looks and my wife does too. I do not see anything wrong with it. if a woman wears make up because she thinks it looks nice does that mean it's vanity to wear it? in the past men wore long robes, that was normal dress but at some point we started wearing pants, we do not insist that men wear robes now, with the exception of the altar. Normal dress changes and it's ok to go with the flow, earings on men, tattoos, and such do not entice lust, it isn't like a woman wearing shorts or even not wearing a head scarf, it's just a bit of metal or plastic in a man's ears, it shouldn't be a very big deal outside of the altar. I'll agree that in the past this was seen as abnormal and extreme. It may have, at one time, been for shock value but that isn't the case anymore I can promise  you that. it's just normal now. However, I guess I should just move on and ignore any other negitive responces to my post, I got the answer I needed/wanted even, from my priest, I can't wear them in the altar. anything past this is just folks trying to argue. the sad fact is that eventhough this forum is supposed to be for Orthodox Christians, it is pretty much like any other internet forum. a bunch of trolls looking to pick silly fights and get a rise out of folks. the only difference is the topics, and the language used (most of the time). If I wanted to get angry about something on the internet I'd talk about toll houses or something like that. I'm not arguing with folks about wearing earrings, or tattoos.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2015, 10:37:46 AM »
there is very little pain involved and I am not after any kind of shock value. I like the way it looks and my wife does too. I do not see anything wrong with it. if a woman wears make up because she thinks it looks nice does that mean it's vanity to wear it? in the past men wore long robes, that was normal dress but at some point we started wearing pants, we do not insist that men wear robes now, with the exception of the altar. Normal dress changes and it's ok to go with the flow, earings on men, tattoos, and such do not entice lust, it isn't like a woman wearing shorts or even not wearing a head scarf, it's just a bit of metal or plastic in a man's ears, it shouldn't be a very big deal outside of the altar. I'll agree that in the past this was seen as abnormal and extreme. It may have, at one time, been for shock value but that isn't the case anymore I can promise  you that. it's just normal now. However, I guess I should just move on and ignore any other negitive responces to my post, I got the answer I needed/wanted even, from my priest, I can't wear them in the altar. anything past this is just folks trying to argue. the sad fact is that eventhough this forum is supposed to be for Orthodox Christians, it is pretty much like any other internet forum. a bunch of trolls looking to pick silly fights and get a rise out of folks. the only difference is the topics, and the language used (most of the time). If I wanted to get angry about something on the internet I'd talk about toll houses or something like that. I'm not arguing with folks about wearing earrings, or tattoos.

Rarely have I seen a more strident and desperate attempt at self-justification.  :P ::)

You're soon to become a father, aren't you? May you revisit what you've just said in 15-20 years' time, and see what you think of your stance, especially in the light of what your child/children might be doing, or wanting to do.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:40:47 AM by LBK »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2015, 11:06:01 AM »
Tattoos and piercings are different things.  You can't pop off a tattoo.

Depending on where it is located, though, you can cover it up.

"You know, when I was your age, my mama told me not to get a tattoo of Roy Orbison. But what Mama don't know....won't hurt her" -Coach Klein from The Waterboy.

Offline Czar Lazar

• Elder
  • Само слога Србина спасава
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Српскa Православнa Црквa
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:32 AM »
If interested, here is a good article on it:

St Luke Serbian Orthodox Church

10660 River Road
Potomac, MD 20854

IS TATTOOING OR BODY PIERCING REALLY BAD?!!

“Everything is permissible for me
-but not everything is beneficial “(1 Cor 6: 2)
      Very often in our lives, we hear the words that our misguided society victoriously proclaims to us: “Let’s have fun, let’s try it, who cares, whatever, just do it, no fear, forget about it, it’s cool, it’s better now than never, it feels good, obey you thirst, experience it, explore it, and etc.” These and many other messages are bombarding our minds every single day: in schools, on TV, on radio, on the streets, in restaurants, at parties, while driving, while talking to our friends. Most of them are simple and innocent in context, but some of them have such powerful, and sometimes, very disturbing images. We may think that these messages do no harm to us, and that they are just an attempt by our society to bring commercialism to more people, by providing them with a good solution to escape the craziness of this world. It may look that way, but I think that behind the scum of these messages lies the lucidity of the biggest deceiver ever, the Devil.

Indeed, the Devil never sleeps, nor stops tricking and deluding people. His main goal is to deceive as many people as he can, promising beauty, which later turns into big disappointments, ugliness and unhappiness within themselves. When a deceived person realizes that all of the disfiguring was pointless, stupid and unnecessary, he blames himself because he made a mistake out of ignorance, stubbornness, and adolescent pride. Then, he will probably lament quietly saying: ‘Was this necessary?. 1 could have lived without it...why... why... why have I done this?’

The Devil will then laugh loudly, rejoicing in his masterpiece saying, “Naive and poor man, didn’t you want this so badly.. .1 offered you this, and you accepted it with joy... it is not my fault... it is you who chose it... now I’ll enjoy your disenchantment!”

What does this have to do with tattooing and body piercing?

First, let us examine how we commit a sin. As I explained before, the Devil works a double shift, and often over time. For him there is no rest, and in fact, he never gets time off, or vacation time. His salary is on a daily basis, because there are a lot of people that he is “in charge of.” His compensation is the satisfaction which he receives through tricking naive people. He is never hungry because he feeds himself with pride, so he works very diligently. He offers, he suggests, he delightfully whispers beautiful ideas, and people believe his lies and fall into his trap.

The very first mistake we make when he whispers in our ear is that we receive his thoughts into our minds. The second one is when we do not recognize nor look for the delusion behind that idea, we accept it easily. The third one is when we start to think about that idea, believing there is nothing wrong with it. The fourth mistake is, when we start to like it and enjoy it, experiencing the pleasure of the sinful thought. If we do not stop at this point of sin development, we will fall unto the next level, which is lust, which leads into sinful action. After lust, there is a big abyss, with no escape. As you see, before we commit sin, we all go through several steps of the degrading process. Therefore, remember, there is always the thought that can be transformed into a sinful deed.

Is body piercing or tattooing a sin? Yes it is! “But why, there is nothing wrong with it!” someone may say. Well, it is a sin. The Bible does speak about the sanctity of man and the defilement of the body. The first man, Adam, was created in the image and likeness of God: Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” (Gen 1:26-27). None of the living creatures were worthy to be created in the image and likeness of God. Only man was. His whole being was immersed into that likeness, and not just one part of Adam’s being, not just his left hand, one finger, right leg, or eyes, but the complete being.

As we know, every man is created as the psycho- physical being: with soul and body. With these two elements man is a complete person. Our goal is to keep both of them undefiled before God. When we sin, our soul gets hurt, and it needs a speedy recovery that is received through repentance. When we harm our bodies, in anyway imaginable, we are responsible before God for the corruption and defilement of His work.

Are we the creators of ourselves? No! So, why then do we destroy something that is not our own, which does not belong to us? In other words, how do we corrupt God’s work? We do this simply by putting unto our bodies’ strange and ungodly elements such as tattoos, earrings, chains, locks, and other demonic portrayals. For some people, this is a “beautiful piece of art”; for Christians this is considered “self-mutilation.” By doing this to ourselves, we are distorting the image and likeness of God in ourselves, and instead of being an icon of God, we become a distorted picture that nobody wants to look at it or buy. Apostle Paul is very clear when he writes to the Corinthians, and says, “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own: you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” (1 Cor 6:19-20). The Apostle is right. We were indeed bought with a big price, which is the blood of the Son of God, who suffered death on the cross for our salvation. He gave us our angelic beauty, by which we are recognized as the children of God, and in return, He receives nothing but the ugliness of our mutilated bodies. Remember that we are the members of one body, the body of Christ, ("...so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to oil the others.” Rom 12:4-6), and each time we hurt our bodies with a new tattoo, or a piercing, we put another nail into Jesus’ body on the cross. Just, imagine how big His mercy is, when He willingly suffers our nails!

Sometimes, we do not even know the meaning or message behind the tattoos that are placed on our bodies. Most tattoos have a background in various Eastern cultures, which use such signs for their cultic worships and experiences. Some people go so far as to have a cross tattooed on their feet. Those are not Christians, but anti-Christians, because with each step taken they step down on the cross; and by doing this, they show disrespect to the Holy Cross of Jesus Christ.

Why do people choose to do such things? Is there any explanation for distorting the image of God in us? I would like to know if tattoos or body piercing make people feel different? Do they become more “cool” and jazzy by doing so? Do they feel special after they’ve put a wild dragon tattoo on their shoulders or on a secret spot? Does having a “double headed eagle” tattooed on one’s chest make that person a bigger Serbian than someone who does not? Are the people with earrings attached to various parts of the body, more valuable than those who do not have any? In other words, is it worthy doing all these insane things?

My suggestion to you is, “always think before you do something, and always ponder on the words of Apostle Paul, ‘Everything is permissible jar me-but not everything is beneficial’ (1 Cor 6:12)

Indeed, today everything is possible if there is no fear of God: “Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life: and offer the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness". Rom 6:12-14.

Let us pray to God, to keep our minds clear from every evil thought, that we may always distinguish what is right and what is wrong, what is truly beneficial, and what is harmful to our souls and bodies, so that we may stand upright before His Judgment, and hear the words: ‘well done my faithful servant, enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.'

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
if a woman wears make up because she thinks it looks nice does that mean it's vanity to wear it?

Yes. We know it, and we do it anyway.

Also, you don't need my approval for anything, so you don't have to switch to 'But Moooom!' mode just because I don't agree with you. ::)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2015, 11:55:05 AM »

Rarely have I seen a more strident and desperate attempt at self-justification.  :P ::)

In here it's called "making sense".

Raylight

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2015, 01:37:45 AM »
Do you know what this thread reminds me of ? Some Muslim Imams talking about whether it is okay to use perfume  when you are fasting or not, and whether it is sinful for a woman to use perfume or not. At that time I got fed up with the god of Islam and realized that if god gets upset because of these little things, then he needs to grow up.

I can't imagine Christ gets upset or consider something as silly as a man wearing earrings is sinful. But hey, what do I know. Probably there is so much in common between Islam and Christianity that I don't know of.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »
Earrings on men are becoming a social norm. Even tattoos and facial piercings are normal now. There is nothing Sinful about them, so it is something that we all should get used to. If we start demanding folks take them out just to come to church (I was asking about wearing them in the altar,as apposed to just attending liturgy) then we're going to have a hard time getting folks in our parishes. This isn't something that we really need to make a stand against, at least that is my opinion, and. I think it would be the same if I didn't like earrings and tattoos.

Gay marriage is becoming a social norm also, still doesn't make it right.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »
Do you know what this thread reminds me of ? Some Muslim Imams talking about whether it is okay to use perfume  when you are fasting or not, and whether it is sinful for a woman to use perfume or not. At that time I got fed up with the god of Islam and realized that if god gets upset because of these little things, then he needs to grow up.

I can't imagine Christ gets upset or consider something as silly as a man wearing earrings is sinful. But hey, what do I know. Probably there is so much in common between Islam and Christianity that I don't know of.

I see no issue with men wearing earrings but I don't think they belong in the altar space.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
But hey, what do I know. Probably there is so much in common between Islam and Christianity that I don't know of.

It's hard to find a single thing you know of.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Raylight

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »
But hey, what do I know. Probably there is so much in common between Islam and Christianity that I don't know of.

It's hard to find a single thing you know of.

!       

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »

It is inappropriate for a man at all times.

Tattoos and piercings look trashy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:16:45 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 02:18:03 PM »
I find it pretty silly to see men with earrings.  But, then again, I was raised to believe that a man who wears short pants in public in weather under 100 degrees was also not to be taken seriously.  Don't get me started on Hawaiian shirts...
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »
But, then again, I was raised to believe that a man who wears short pants in public in weather under 100 degrees was also not to be taken seriously.  Don't get me started on Hawaiian shirts...[/size][/font]

Wisdom!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »

+1

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
I find it pretty silly to see men with earrings.  But, then again, I was raised to believe that a man who wears short pants in public in weather under 100 degrees was also not to be taken seriously.  Don't get me started on Hawaiian shirts...

The only man Ive seen look sharp in a Hawaiian shirt was Jack Lord, wearing it under an elegant kashmir leisure suit, in an epsiode of Hawaii Five-O where his character Steve McGarett was framed for murder and forced to take a paid vacation.  Otherwise his classic look was a slick navy blue business suit, which strikes me as proper Hawaiian attire.

I am opposed to all body piercimgs and tattoos, for what its worth.  I think we should only cut or penetrate the flesh to correct birth defects, injuries, illnesses or cosmetic problems related to the above.   
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »

The only man Ive seen look sharp in a Hawaiian shirt was Jack Lord, wearing it under an elegant kashmir leisure suit, in an epsiode of Hawaii Five-O where his character Steve McGarett was framed for murder and forced to take a paid vacation.  Otherwise his classic look was a slick navy blue business suit, which strikes me as proper Hawaiian attire.

I am opposed to all body piercimgs and tattoos, for what its worth.  I think we should only cut or penetrate the flesh to correct birth defects, injuries, illnesses or cosmetic problems related to the above.

Then there are holiday tattoos.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »

You will find such debates in all religions. It is the nature of man to indulge in minutiae.
God bless!

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »

Im not sure I could get behind tattoos for pilgrims either.  It seems to me the benefits of a pilgrimage should be firstly spiritual, and there are many more usedul and caluable souvenirs one can obtain to mark ones pilgrimage to any holy destination.  I mean, let us be thankful that our monasteries do not have tattoo parlors among their obediences, as an obligatory last stop for the departing guest.  The most I could conceivably endorse would be a Nazirite style vow not to shave or cut ones hair until the completion of the pilgrimage, and then perhaps to retain that, or vice versa.  But I am personally content with the myrhh from icons amd relics, books, reproductions of icons, and other useful things.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2015, 08:05:21 PM »

Im not sure I could get behind tattoos for pilgrims either.  It seems to me the benefits of a pilgrimage should be firstly spiritual, and there are many more usedul and caluable souvenirs one can obtain to mark ones pilgrimage to any holy destination.  I mean, let us be thankful that our monasteries do not have tattoo parlors among their obediences, as an obligatory last stop for the departing guest.  The most I could conceivably endorse would be a Nazirite style vow not to shave or cut ones hair until the completion of the pilgrimage, and then perhaps to retain that, or vice versa.  But I am personally content with the myrhh from icons amd relics, books, reproductions of icons, and other useful things.

Some monasteries do have tattoo parlors...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »

I was raised to believe that a man who wears short pants in public in weather under 100 degrees was also not to be taken seriously.[/size][/font]

I am opposed to all body piercimgs and tattoos

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »

I was raised to believe that a man who wears short pants in public in weather under 100 degrees was also not to be taken seriously.[/size][/font]

I am opposed to all body piercimgs and tattoos

Too funny!!!     :laugh:

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2015, 01:19:06 AM »

Some monasteries do have tattoo parlors...

Well, indeed, although I am of a view that Oriental monasteries vs Christian monasteries are apples vs oranges.  I read an argument in Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms, a book about persecuted minoeity religions of the middle East, that Egyptian, and thus Christian, monasticism, was inspired by the organization of pagan temples of the Egpttian Polytheistic religion (to deities like Ra, Osiris, Seth. and so on), but lack enough info to confirm it.  But I think of the Buddhist,,Bon amd Taoist monasteries of the afar East as something superficially similiar, something that evolved from the Hindu ashram, as our own cenobitic monasticism developed from the solitary asceticsm of St. Anthomy amd the mysterious, haunting figure of St. Paul the Hermit.  So, coincidence, and also perhaps some influence due to the historic Nestorian presence in China amd Tibet pre-Tamerlane.  You know, at many Buddhist monasteries, monkss come and go as they please; monastic ordination is regarded as an essential rite of passage in Thai society, for example.

However, there are some atrange amd disturbing things in the monasticism of the Far East.  For example, some of the rites of the Bon and "Ancient Red Hat" school of Tibetan Buddhism, are highly esoteric, and unpleasant.  I suspect the image you pulled up is from such a monastery; from the vesture it looks Himalayan.  Chimese and Japanese Buddhist monasteries, and Chimese Taoist monasteries, tend to be a bit more "civilized" I daresay.

You know, the Bektasi Sufis in Albania amd Macedonia have monasteries, which in recent years have been attacked by Sunni hardliners.  In the case of Sufi Islam, their monasticism, where it exists, is direcrly copied from Christianity, or rather a syncretic blend of Chrosrianitt and Islam.  Many Sufi Sheikhs loved synthesizing local religions and esoteric Islam, occasionally giving rise to entirely new religions altogether, like the Yazidis, Yarsanis, and  Alawi./Alevi/Bektasi continuum.  Fascinating stuff, not dissimiliar to Gnostic Christianity.

In terms of the OP, however, I think at this point we can say the consensus is that male arrings at the very least should not be worn while serving in the altar, even if they are otherwise permissable.  Surely altar servers should maintain as dignified and reserved an appearance as possible, as befits the sanctity of their duties.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:21:58 AM by wgw »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2015, 04:42:26 AM »

Well, indeed, although I am of a view that Oriental monasteries vs Christian monasteries are apples vs oranges.  I read an argument in Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms, a book about persecuted minoeity religions of the middle East, that Egyptian, and thus Christian, monasticism, was inspired by the organization of pagan temples of the Egpttian Polytheistic religion (to deities like Ra, Osiris, Seth. and so on), but lack enough info to confirm it.  But I think of the Buddhist,,Bon amd Taoist monasteries of the afar East as something superficially similiar, something that evolved from the Hindu ashram, as our own cenobitic monasticism developed from the solitary asceticsm of St. Anthomy amd the mysterious, haunting figure of St. Paul the Hermit.  So, coincidence, and also perhaps some influence due to the historic Nestorian presence in China amd Tibet pre-Tamerlane.  You know, at many Buddhist monasteries, monkss come and go as they please; monastic ordination is regarded as an essential rite of passage in Thai society, for example.

However, there are some atrange amd disturbing things in the monasticism of the Far East.  For example, some of the rites of the Bon and "Ancient Red Hat" school of Tibetan Buddhism, are highly esoteric, and unpleasant.  I suspect the image you pulled up is from such a monastery; from the vesture it looks Himalayan.  Chimese and Japanese Buddhist monasteries, and Chimese Taoist monasteries, tend to be a bit more "civilized" I daresay.

You know, the Bektasi Sufis in Albania amd Macedonia have monasteries, which in recent years have been attacked by Sunni hardliners.  In the case of Sufi Islam, their monasticism, where it exists, is direcrly copied from Christianity, or rather a syncretic blend of Chrosrianitt and Islam.  Many Sufi Sheikhs loved synthesizing local religions and esoteric Islam, occasionally giving rise to entirely new religions altogether, like the Yazidis, Yarsanis, and  Alawi./Alevi/Bektasi continuum.  Fascinating stuff, not dissimiliar to Gnostic Christianity.

In terms of the OP, however, I think at this point we can say the consensus is that male arrings at the very least should not be worn while serving in the altar, even if they are otherwise permissable.  Surely altar servers should maintain as dignified and reserved an appearance as possible, as befits the sanctity of their duties.

FIFY.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2015, 07:38:21 AM »
Why wouldn't it be okay? Being unusual doesn't by default mean wrong or immoral. I see all kinds of weird things in my home state like goth, LGBT, and tattooed people in good standing with the Orthodox Church so I don't really think earrings on a man are that big a deal.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »

You're soon to become a father, aren't you? May you revisit what you've just said in 15-20 years' time, and see what you think of your stance, especially in the light of what your child/children might be doing, or wanting to do.

My dad got his first tattoo when he was my age and took me to get my first one when I was 18. He and my mom recently got new tattoos on their anniversary last month. No regrets. It's really not a big deal if you're from California or any urban area.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2015, 07:52:30 AM »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, served in the US Navy, and also have all my redneck credentials... and I still think tattoos are a dumb idea.  Half the people I know who have them regret them.  Sure, there are people who like them.  Justin Bieber also sells a lot of records, but I ain't gonna...

It's really not a big deal if you're from California or any urban area.

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2015, 10:36:04 AM »
What we wear is an attitude of the heart, and we are also to abandon ourselves and to become like Christ.
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Branthony

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
oops replyed then thought better of it
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:04:30 AM by Branthony »

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2015, 11:01:28 PM »
So today I discovered a large chunk, perhaps most, Coptic dhildren, have a cross tattoo discretely made on their right wrist 40'days after birth.  I found this out after noticing them on the wrists of two of rhe young altar servers participating in a procession in honor of St. Moses the Black.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/egypt/091008/egypt’s-ancient-art-form-modern-twist

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »
oops replyed then thought better of it

I think you're a good person for not wanting to scandalize others.  If only others can emulate your modesty.  We would be much more peaceful and kind to one another.