OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:15:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I find Oriental Orthodox liturgical texts online?  (Read 2437 times) Average Rating: 0
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« on: June 27, 2005, 07:44:33 PM »

I need your help!

I've been trying to locate english translations of the liturgies of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, Armenian, Syriac and Coptic Othodox Churches online, full text if at all possible.

If you could also direct me to some links for devotional prayers, such as the hours or morning/evening prayers, devotional or communion prayers, etc., for any of these Churches, I'd appreciate that as well.

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate any of these??

Many thanks for your help!

In Christ,
Aaron

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 07:54:30 PM »

For Syrians and Indians, sor.cua.edu.

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 08:13:46 PM »

Thanks Phil!ÂÂ  Smiley

So the Syrians and Indians use the exact same liturgy?

I learn something new every day.ÂÂ  Grin

So then would it be correct to assume that the Indian Malankara Orthodox and the Jacobite/Malankara Syrian Churches (under the Patriarch of Antioch) use the same liturgy as well? If not, then what are the differences (other than who is commemorated?

Also, is the liturgy that is used in the Jacobite Syrian Church (under the Patriarch of Antioch) the same as that used by the Syriac Orthodox (also under the Patriarch)? Is it just that language that is used that varies, or are they celebrated differently too?

I'm not trying to be redundant, I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks again!

In Christ,
Aaron
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 08:15:05 PM by Arystarcus » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:24:24 PM »

For the Coptic Orthodox Church:

The divine liturgies of St Cyril, St Basil (the most commonly employed), and St Gregory the theologian

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/liturgy/

The 7 daily hours prayers:

http://www.agpeya.org/

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 12:08:03 AM »

The Armenian Divine Liturgy, in English and what is surely a quite inaccurate (due to the lack of suitable characters) transliteration of the Armenian.

I've not yet been able to find a copy of the Ethiopian Liturgy online, at least as served by the Orthodoxy; the closest is one I saw once that was an Ethiopian Catholic translation for children.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 12:09:04 AM by Beayf » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 02:56:06 PM »

If you are looking to buy books with the Armenian services in them, try St. Vartan Bookstore, at the Eastern Diocese in the U.S.:
http://www.stvartanbookstore.com/index.asp

They have a large Divine Liturgy book for $25.00.  The front part of the book translates the liturgy from Classical Armenian to Modern Armenian.  The back part of the book transliterates the Classical Armenian and translates it into English.  In my opinion, it should have been two different books.

They also have Nareg: Speaking with God from the Depth of the Heart for $20.00.  It is an English translation of the prayers written by St. Nareg about a thousand years ago.  There is a website put up by one of the translators which deals with it: http://www.stgregoryofnarek.am/index.php 

The prayers of Nareg are very beautiful devotional prayers.  Unfortunately, there are some Armenians who treasure these prayers more as classical literature than as prayers to be said to God. The current translation was done by a linguist and a poet.  I don't think a theologian was involved.  In one prayer, the Armenian expression for Mother of God was translated into English as "madonna."  In another prayer, they use the English pronoun "it" to refer to the Holy Spirit.   

If you are interested in the services the priest does, like baptism, house blessings, weddings, etc., those are in a book the Armenians call "Mashdots." There is a pink paperback Mashdots which has both the Armenian and the English translation. It is $24.

There is also a white paperback Book of Hours or the Order of Common Prayers of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church: Matins, Prime, Vespers and Occasional Offices.  I don't think it is in their website, but I know St. Vartan bookstore has it.  You can e-mail them about it.  Matins is done early every Sunday morning in the Armenian Church here in the U.S.  However, unfortunately, Prime and Vespers are only done during Holy Lent.  It is a pity.  The Prime service is especially beautiful.

Hope this helps.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Kush

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 02:58:05 PM »

The Ethiopian Liturgy can be found at: http://www.ethiopianorthodoxchurch.org/belief/images/kidase1.pdf
Tags: liturgy liturgical texts Agpeya liturgy online Armenian Church Coptic Orthodox Church Syriac Orthodox Indian Orthodox prayer Oriental Orthodox prayers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: