Author Topic: Recomendation for a Catholic friend  (Read 679 times)

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Recomendation for a Catholic friend
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:16:05 PM »
What book(s) would you recommend to a Roman Catholic as an introduction to Orthodox spirituality?

As a bonus, can you think of any such works that predate the East/West schism? (note: That doesn't mean I won't take recommendations for post schism works.)
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Recomendation for a Catholic friend
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 01:42:47 PM »
What book(s) would you recommend to a Roman Catholic as an introduction to Orthodox spirituality?

As a bonus, can you think of any such works that predate the East/West schism? (note: That doesn't mean I won't take recommendations for post schism works.)

Pre-schism: The writings of St. Mark the Ascetic, found in the Philokalia Volume 1, or the discourses of Abba Dorotheos of Gaza.

Post-schism: His Life is Mine by Archimandrite Sophrony
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 01:43:30 PM »
I'd recommend one of the following books, depending on what they'd find most helpful:

- Philokalia, Volume 1 (pre-schism; practical/life, virtues/vices)
- Philokalia, Volume 2 (pre-schism; practical, but also with some fairly deep theologicals)
- The Life in Christ, by St. Nicholas Cabasilas (14th century; more practically and sacramentally oriented)
- Way of the Ascetics, by Tito Colliander (20th century; short, practical, ascetic/virtue focused, challenging)
- St. Gregory of Nazianzus: An Intellectual Biography, by Fr. John McGuckin (St. Gregory was 4th century, Fr. John 20th; biography, history)
- The Orthodox Way, by Met. Kallistos Ware (20th century; despite criticisms of it, it seems to still be the only modern English text to give such a good balance of depth and brevity)

For an overview of history as well as spirituality in one place, there is always:
- The Orthodox Church, by Met. Kallistos Ware (20th century; there are criticisms of it, but it still seems to me one of the better introductions)
- The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture, by Fr. John McGuckin (20th century; somewhat less popular-level than that of Met. Kallistos)

Or just send them here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=john+behr
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
Justin, thank you for such a thorough list. Have you read the Conferences of St. John Cassian by any chance?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:04:37 PM by Sam G »
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl