Author Topic: Book of Canons  (Read 1305 times)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Book of Canons
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:03:33 PM »
Is there a book that contains the Orthros Canons for some of the great saints like Sts. Peter and Paul, St. Basil, etc.?  I have the complete text for canons of the Great Feasts, but I do not have the monetary resources to buy the complete Menaia at this time.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Book of Canons
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
Try the Featal Meanion translated by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, and (I think) Mother Mary.  It contains the propers for all great feasts outside of the Triodion-Pentecostarion cycle.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:44:15 AM »
Is there a book that contains the Orthros Canons for some of the great saints like Sts. Peter and Paul, St. Basil, etc.?  I have the complete text for canons of the Great Feasts, but I do not have the monetary resources to buy the complete Menaia at this time.
Wow there is a book containing only canons of the great feasts? It would be fullfillment of my dreams.

The second one too, but I'm not aware of it. I just know about (Serbian) prayer books cointaining only paraklesis canons and akathists, but it's not the same...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline ergro

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Jerusalem
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 07:49:26 AM »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:53:07 AM »
Enjoy.

www.anastasis.org.uk/menaion.htm

This is a good and useful resource, but it is a little patchy. For instance, it only has vespers for the feast of Apostles Peter and Paul, not Matins. Also, the service text for the Protection of the Mother of God is the newer service used by the Greek church, not the much older one used by other churches.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
Enjoy.

www.anastasis.org.uk/menaion.htm

Websites are fine but i prefer an actual book.  My reasons are two fold.  First, I just prefer books. Second, if at church, my priest has banned iPads or any other tablet device from use at the chanter's stand.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
Wow there is a book containing only canons of the great feasts? It would be fullfillment of my dreams.

The second one too, but I'm not aware of it. I just know about (Serbian) prayer books cointaining only paraklesis canons and akathists, but it's not the same...

The Festal Menaion has only those feasts outside of the Triodion and Pentecostarion.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »

The Festal Menaion has only those feasts outside of the Triodion and Pentecostarion.
I know it. I meant, that I wasn't aware of any book (the language doesn't matter) focusing only on liturgical canons (not the paraklesis that are not part of festal/any triodon orthros). The one (for the great feasts) you have is in English? Where it can be bought?
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »
It wouldn't be horribly expansive to buy the Festal Menaion and say the Menaion for March, which would contain the Annunciation?

Now I could have sworn the important fixed feasts were in the Triodion and Pentecostarion.  I will take a look later today.

But either way, the Festal Menaion is worth buying.  The other alternative is the Nasser Five Pounder, which I also have,,and which has all the major feasts; used, it is not expensive.  The proper title is somethimg like Divine Prayers and Services of the Orthodox Church by Fr. Seraphim Nasser.  If you Google his name (Seraphim Nasser), you will find it.  This definitely includes everything major that happens in the Triodion-Pentecostarion cycle, but the English, though dignified, is not of the sparkling beauty of the Metropolotan Kallistos / Mother Mary work.  However, the book also includes an abbreviated Triodion, Pentecostarion and Octoechos: enough material, according to Fr. John Whiteford, to support most of the services a small parish is likely to serve, and also the book offering the most material in one volume.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Jeffrey

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 07:22:16 PM »
Sometimes editions of the Festal Menaion contain many of the larger feasts besides the 12 great.  If you can find a copy of the Festal Menaion from the Basilian Sisters of Uniontown PA, 1985,  it will give you many of those feasts.  See if you can't get it on inter-library loan.  It is not for sale as far as I can tell.  Since it is an Eastern Catholic publication it has services for a series of Roman Catholic saints in an appendix, also St Benedict who is in Orthodox Menaia.  In the main text is a service to the Eastern Catholic saint and martyr Josaphat, whom Orthodox tend to remember not only as not a martyr but as a persecutor.  It is a very useful book if you can get it.

You can also purchase individual services from St John of Kronstadt press, so pick the saints you most want the services for and budget their purchase.

Offline Jeffrey

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »
BTW this is the table of contents to the Uniontown Festal Menaion.  (minus the reference to the martyr for the Union of Eastern Catholics).
It is very similar to the contents of the Slavonic (Orthodox) Festal Menaion here:
http://www.orthlib.info/Menaia/Festal_Menaion/Festal-Menaion.html  except this online one has St Sergius of Radonezh, St Alexander Nevsky, Synaxis of Moscow hierarchs, and the Kazan Icon.  Also St Vladimir, who one would have expected in the Uniontown one.  The slavonic one also lacks some of the special Sundays.  I think those should be included in such a volume, they make it so much more helpful!

CONTENTS
September 1 - Beginning of Liturgical Year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
September 8 - Nativity of the Mother of God    12
September 14 - Exaltation of the Holy Cross. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 34
September 26 - Falling Asleep of John the Theologian. . . . . . .. 62
October 1 - Protection of the Mother of God    70
October 11-17 - Sunday of the Fathers of 7th Council. . . . . . . .. 78
October 26 - Holy and Glorious Martyr Demetrius. . . . . . . . . . .. 82
November 8 - Michael the Archangel    93
November 13 - John Chrysostom    112
November 21 - Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple. 122
December 6 - Nicholas the Wonderworker    143
December 8 - Conception of St. Anne    154
December 11-17 - Sunday of the Forefathers, the Patriarchs. .. 161
December 18-24 - Sunday of the Holy Fathers    164
December 24 - Vigil: Nativity of Our Lord    180
December 25 - Nativity of Our Lord    199
Sunday after Christmas    212
December 26 - Commemoration of the Mother of God    214
December 27 - Stephen, First Martyr & Venerable Theodore    218
January 1 - Circumcision of Our Lord & Basil the Great    229
January 6 - Theophany of Our Lord .. ; . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 260
January 30 - Three Holy Bishops:
   Basil, Gregory, and John Chrysostom    293
February 2 - Meeting of Our Lord with Simeon    305
March 9 - Forty Martyrs of Sebaste . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 330
March 25 - Annunciation of the Mother of God    339
April 23 - Great-Martyr George    353
May 8 - Apostle and Evangelist, John the Theologian    361
May 11 - Cyril and Methodius, Apostles to the Slavs    368
June 24 - Nativity of John the Baptist. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 376
June 29 - Apostles Peter and Paul    385
July 13-19 - Holy Fathers of the First Six Councils    398
July 20 - Prophet Elijah    402
August 1 - Procession of Life-giving Cross    411
August 6 - Transfiguration of Our Lord    420
August 15 - Dormition of the Mother of God    447
August 29 - Beheading of John the Baptist    475

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »
That is a good resource, I've seen it as English excerpts of it were handy for Vespers and Matins when only Slavonic was available thirty years ago. You won't burn in hell for using it. (Just joking...)  Just be careful on a few days, basically if you know what you're looking for, you also know what not to use.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
BTW this is the table of contents to the Uniontown Festal Menaion.  (minus the reference to the martyr for the Union of Eastern Catholics).
It is very similar to the contents of the Slavonic (Orthodox) Festal Menaion here:
http://www.orthlib.info/Menaia/Festal_Menaion/Festal-Menaion.html  except this online one has St Sergius of Radonezh, St Alexander Nevsky, Synaxis of Moscow hierarchs, and the Kazan Icon.  Also St Vladimir, who one would have expected in the Uniontown one.  The slavonic one also lacks some of the special Sundays.  I think those should be included in such a volume, they make it so much more helpful!

CONTENTS
September 1 - Beginning of Liturgical Year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
September 8 - Nativity of the Mother of God    12
September 14 - Exaltation of the Holy Cross. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 34
September 26 - Falling Asleep of John the Theologian. . . . . . .. 62
October 1 - Protection of the Mother of God    70
October 11-17 - Sunday of the Fathers of 7th Council. . . . . . . .. 78
October 26 - Holy and Glorious Martyr Demetrius. . . . . . . . . . .. 82
November 8 - Michael the Archangel    93
November 13 - John Chrysostom    112
November 21 - Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple. 122
December 6 - Nicholas the Wonderworker    143
December 8 - Conception of St. Anne    154
December 11-17 - Sunday of the Forefathers, the Patriarchs. .. 161
December 18-24 - Sunday of the Holy Fathers    164
December 24 - Vigil: Nativity of Our Lord    180
December 25 - Nativity of Our Lord    199
Sunday after Christmas    212
December 26 - Commemoration of the Mother of God    214
December 27 - Stephen, First Martyr & Venerable Theodore    218
January 1 - Circumcision of Our Lord & Basil the Great    229
January 6 - Theophany of Our Lord .. ; . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 260
January 30 - Three Holy Bishops:
   Basil, Gregory, and John Chrysostom    293
February 2 - Meeting of Our Lord with Simeon    305
March 9 - Forty Martyrs of Sebaste . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 330
March 25 - Annunciation of the Mother of God    339
April 23 - Great-Martyr George    353
May 8 - Apostle and Evangelist, John the Theologian    361
May 11 - Cyril and Methodius, Apostles to the Slavs    368
June 24 - Nativity of John the Baptist. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 376
June 29 - Apostles Peter and Paul    385
July 13-19 - Holy Fathers of the First Six Councils    398
July 20 - Prophet Elijah    402
August 1 - Procession of Life-giving Cross    411
August 6 - Transfiguration of Our Lord    420
August 15 - Dormition of the Mother of God    447
August 29 - Beheading of John the Baptist    475
Unfortunately for many (most) of the lesser feasts the canon only has the first and ninth odes.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
That is a good resource, I've seen it as English excerpts of it were handy for Vespers and Matins when only Slavonic was available thirty years ago. You won't burn in hell for using it. (Just joking...)  Just be careful on a few days, basically if you know what you're looking for, you also know what not to use.
Besides the Catholic Saints Josaphat, Francis, Clare, and Teresa the only feast that has added "Catholic" material is the Conception of St. Anne and that only at the Litija stichera. 
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.