OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:35:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Septuagenarian Cat Killer  (Read 3210 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 26, 2005, 01:17:39 PM »

This is BS!

As far as I am concerned she has every right to kill those cats since her neighbor refused to keep then out of her yard.

Stupid cats

---------------------------------------

Septuagenarian Cat Killer

Cops: Wisconsin woman whacked neighbor's pets with d-Con dinner

JUNE 24-- Meet Myrtle Maly. The 78-year-old Wisconsin woman was arrested this week for poisoning her neighbor's cats after the animals came into her backyard and attacked some birds. Maly, charged with two felony animal mistreatment raps, admitted to Madison cops that she placed d-Con rodent killer into a can of cat food (the normally yummy "Special Kitty Salmon Dinner") and set the chow out for Tiger and Tangerine, neighbor Robert Yu's felines. While Maly told investigators she only intended to sicken, not kill, the cats, she did not appear devastated about their demise, according to the below criminal complaint. "When I find these little feathers, I've had it. I love animals, but he drove me to it," she told a detective. "I have a good feeling because the birds are happy now." The septuagenarian cat killer, who said she resorted to the poison after getting no help from animal control authorities, faces three years in jail if convicted in the double slaying.
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 02:09:47 PM »

LOL, how does one keep cats from leaving the yard?

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »

Just like with kids, you just explain the rules to them and watch them obey. Shocked

Qui cantat, bis orat
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 09:20:25 AM »

LOL, how does one keep cats from leaving the yard?

Chain 'em up or keep them in the house.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 09:21:17 AM by TomS » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:35:45 PM »

FYI
I've heard tell that cat -LOVERS in this life get to skip a toll booth in the next
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 10:38:55 PM »

Dude. I bet PETA will throw a fit. Boycott old ladies!!!

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 09:46:49 AM »

I think if I was in her position, I'd do the same thing... well maybe not the same thing, and I probably wouldn't do it, but I would probably consider for a very long time doing what the old lady did (amoung many other malicious things, some animals are just evil). 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 10:45:10 AM »

And some are just cats--predators who instinctually hunt small, loveable birds. It's not like they were killing her pets!  I don't like it either! My dog has been known to chase rabbits-and I dont want her to kill them. But if she did manage to get one, it's because she's a predatory carnivore. The animals didn't deserve to die because they were doing their natural action of hunting.  Do coyotes who kill peoples pet cats/dogs deserve to die? No! They're just doing what they're supposed to do, and it so happens that we and our pets are in the way. Killing an animal for such a reason should never be justified. Dangerous animals--those who are maliciously hostile  to anything and everything should be kept away from others. But I would like to see these people try to keepnormal cats that had been outdoor cats locked inside. What that woman did was cruel and she should be punished for it.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 10:54:21 AM »

The simple solution is to become holy, like Saint Seraphim of Sarov and then the animals even will live in peace around us!  See, problem solved.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 12:39:46 PM »

LOL Grin

hmmmm...
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 12:41:04 PM »

As a someone who has a cat, I would be very upset if someone hurt or killed my cat. The woman was wrong for taking the law into her own hands and taking the lives of those cats. I'm willing to wager she had bird feeders, bird bath or a garden of some sort that attracted birds and other wildlife to her yard. Where there are birds there are stray cats. The cats were merely following thier natural instinct to hunt. If you don't want cats in your yard. 1.  TAKE DOWN THE UGLY BIRD BATH. 2. Spray your property line with a solution of hot pepper, water and canola oil or "feliaway" .

Don't even get me started on responsible pet owership.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 12:50:55 PM »

It was her neighbors cat - not a stray. And she tried to get help from Animal Control in making the neighbor keep the cat in the house or at least out of her yard.

Do you let your cats run around the neighborhood? If you do, then you should expect consequences to that.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 12:52:57 PM by TomS » Logged
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 01:20:01 PM »

Consequences being that they may get hit by a car, not that your neighbor will kill it. Cats are different than dogs. No one complains about cats pooping in their yards, and there is very little danger of someone being bit by your cat. Cats generally pose no problem as outdoor animals. And it's not like you can fence in a cat.

What the person probably should have done would be to have their cats declawed. This woman is in no way justified. Hence being charged with breaking the law.

Qui cantat, bis orat
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 04:29:30 PM »

It was her neighbors cat - not a stray. And she tried to get help from Animal Control in making the neighbor keep the cat in the house or at least out of her yard.

Do you let your cats run around the neighborhood? If you do, then you should expect consequences to that.

My suggestions work for random neighborhood cats too. Point being there are less cruel alternatives to getting rid of unwanted cats.

No, I do not let my cat run wild about the neighborhood. I would like to think I'm a responsible pet owner and keep my cat contained in my apartment. I do agree that this ladies neighbor was an irresponsible banana head for not securing her pets in her yard. I could rail on at length about irresponsible pet ownership.

However, the Septegenarian had NO right to take the law in her own hands and kill the cats.

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 04:36:11 PM »

I keep mis-reading this thread as SEPTUAGINT Cat Killer and think it is related tot he scriptures! LOL!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 05:03:12 PM »

I keep mis-reading this thread as SEPTUAGINT Cat Killer and think it is related tot he scriptures! LOL!

ha me too! 1st time i saw it i figured it would be something about scripture, but then the "cat killer" part made me do a double take lol

hmmmm...
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 08:58:03 PM »

It is a cat's nature to want to run around and have more territory than the inside of a small house or apartment.  Choirfriend was right about cats not hurting anyone.  People need to lighten up about sharing their space with neighborhood animals.  I have a friend who hates squirrels and has been calling the city repeatedly asking them to get rid of the squirrels in her neighborhood.  Finally, I asked her, "What do you want them to do?  Come over with guns and shoot them out of the trees?"  To my disgust, she thought that was a good idea.

Cats running around the neighborhood do more good than harm, even though we may not see it.  They were domesticated for a reason.  They're extremely efficient at hunting and killing vermin.  You'd be surprised at how many rats and mice exist in your neighborhood and how many more would exist if it were not for neighborhood cats.  I live in a neat, well trimmed, middle class suburb outside of a major city.  I have never seen a mouse or a rat.  Yet my neighbor, who has two cats, tells me that her cats come home with at least a couple of dead mice a month.  I'd rather have the cats in my yard than the mice.

I remember seeing a documentary on t.v. a while back about some researcher in England who tracked the number of mice killed by domestic house cats in a particular London neighborhood.  It turned out to be a much larger number than the researcher expected.

I have also heard that during witch hunts in the 1300's, the cat population in Europe was decimated.  The result was that the rat population exploded, and the bubonic plague had no problem killing one fourth of the human population. 

This link discusses it:   http://www.wegmans.com/news/pet/columns/102304.asp

So leave the cats alone.  They are not hurting anyone and they are doing us some good.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 09:41:55 PM »

Choirfriend was right about cats not hurting anyone.

Not really. In many places, especially in the tropics, cats are an introduced predator that wreaks havoc on the local ecosystem and has been responsible for the extinction of many indigenous species. Even here in North America, they really are a foreign animal to our environment and have caused damage, though not nearly to the extent of places like New Zealand and Hawaii.

I have a friend who hates squirrels and has been calling the city repeatedly asking them to get rid of the squirrels in her neighborhood.ÂÂ  Finally, I asked her, "What do you want them to do?ÂÂ  Come over with guns and shoot them out of the trees?"ÂÂ  To my disgust, she thought that was a good idea.

Now them's good eatin'.

Cat killer! Better you than me
Cat killer! Fsck feline brutality...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:45:55 PM by Beayf » Logged
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 10:30:41 PM »

Placed in the proper context (in this case, common suburban human-filled, settled areas) cats are not killing off native species. We've done that already. Come on, put it in the context.

Qui cantat, bis orat
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 10:42:43 PM »

I am a dog person, so I will just keep my pie-hole shut. LOL

Lord have mercy.
Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 12:28:01 AM »

Sorry, I have to side with Beayf here.ÂÂ  Domestic animals can wreak havoc in ecosystems in which they are introduced.ÂÂ  This can apply to suburban areas as well.ÂÂ  It's much worse in rural areas.ÂÂ  

Being something of an ecologist, I would say that it is at best a gross oversimplification to say that "cats do much more good than harm" in a suburban context.  Ecosystems are highly complex things with many subtle relationships going on that may not be apparent or appear to be significant.  This even applies to some suburban ecosystems.  They're not like cars or some other appliance that just needs one thing fixed and then everything is perfectly okay.  ÃƒÆ’‚  ("Oh, look, I found the problem.  It's the fuel injection system.")

BTW, I have often heard it said that declawing cats is quite inhumane.

http://www.abcbirds.org/cats/

Bob
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 12:46:39 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 06:26:18 AM »

The End of the Raven
by Edgar Allan Poe's Cat

On a night quite unenchanting, when the rain was downward slanting,ÂÂ  
I awakened to the ranting of the man I catch mice for.ÂÂ  
Tipsy and a bit unshaven, in a tone I found quite craven,ÂÂ  
Poe was talking to a Raven perched above the chamber door.ÂÂ  
"Raven's very tasty," thought I, as I tiptoed o'er the floor,ÂÂ  
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ "There is nothing I like more."

Soft upon the rug I treaded, calm and careful as I headedÂÂ  
Toward his roost atop that dreaded bust of Pallas I deplore.ÂÂ  
While the bard and birdie chattered, I made sure that nothing clattered,
or snapped, or fell, or shattered, as I crossed the corridor;ÂÂ  
For his house is crammed with trinkets, curios and weird decor--ÂÂ  
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Bric-a-brac and junk galore.

Still the Raven never fluttered, standing stock-still as he uttered,ÂÂ  
In a voice that shrieked and sputtered, his two cents' worth--ÂÂ  
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ "Nevermore."

While this dirge the birdbrain kept up, oh, so silently I crept up,ÂÂ  
Then I crouched and quickly leapt up, pouncing on the feathered bore.ÂÂ  
Soon he was a heap of plumage, and a little blood and gore--ÂÂ  
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Only this and not much more.

"Oooo!" my pickled poet cried out, "Pussycat, it's time I dried out!ÂÂ  
Never sat I in my hideout talking to a bird before;ÂÂ  
How I've wallowed in self-pity, while my gallant, valiant kittyÂÂ  
Put an end to that damned ditty"--then I heard him start to snore,ÂÂ  
Back atop the door I clambered, eyed that statue I abhor,ÂÂ  
  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Jumped--and smashed it on the floor.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 06:28:21 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 09:54:23 AM »

LOL ozgeorge....

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 01:24:32 PM »

ahahahaha ozgeorge that is awesome!

hmmmm...
GregoryWa

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 09:39:17 PM »

Well, Im sure to many on this list the cats were obviously Jews.

I say take the old lady to the local vet and have her put to sleep
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 09:58:16 PM »

What??

Qui cantat, bis orat
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2005, 10:12:30 PM »

What??

i echo this... Huh

hmmmm...
beewolf

In Thy Light we see Light

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2005, 01:02:16 AM »

I am a dog person, so I will just keep my pie-hole shut. LOL

Same! But i will add that i can understand why people get upset at cats downloading in their new seedbeds, scratching up their gardens etc. Here in Oz cats go feral and can grow really big, a friend of mine who was a country huntin', fishin',shootin' kind of guy once caught one on his property -man it was huge more like a diminutive bobcat, its 'canine' fangs had grown down to quite some length rather like a small sabre tooth's might be. They also kill lots of native species and can kill a surprising number of creatures in one night.

But there again some our of sabre-tooth koalas have taken a number of Japanese tourists over the years - nah -now I'm kidding -lol.

Gospodi pomiluy
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2005, 07:07:46 AM »

To a Vase
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Cat

How do I break thee?  Let me count the ways.
I break thee if thou art at any height
My paw can reach, when, smarting from some slight,
I sulk, or have one of my crazy days,
I break thee with an accidental graze
Or twitch of tail, if I should take a fright.
I break thee out of pure and simple spite
The way I broke the jar of mayonnaise.
I break thee if I'm in a playful mood,
And then I wrestle with the shiny bits.
I break thee if I do not like my food.
And if someone thy shards together fits,
I'll break thee once again when thou art glued.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2005, 07:26:47 AM »

THE STORY OF CAT
NEWLY DISCOVERED MISSING CHAPTER OF GENESIS!

And Adam spake saying:, "Lord, when I wast in the garden, Thou walked with me every day. Now I do not see Thee anymore. I am lonesome here and it is difficult for me to remember how much Thou lovest me."

And God spake unto him from a whirlwind saying, " I will create a companion for thee that will always rejoice to see thee and who will be a reflection of My love for thee, so that Thou will love Me even when thou canst not see me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable thou may be, this new companion will accept thee as thou art, will love thee as I do, in spite of thyself."

And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam. And it was a good animal. And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and he wagged his tail.

And Adam saith, "Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal."

And God spake unto him saying: "Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of My love for thee, its name will be a reflection of My own Name, and thou wilt call him DOG."

And Dog lived with Adam and was a companion to him and loved him. And Adam was comforted. And God was pleased. And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

After a while, it came to pass that Adam's guardian angel came unto the Lord and said, "Lord, Adam has become filled with pride. He struts and preens like a peacock and he believeth that he is worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught him that he is loved, but perhaps too well."

And God saith, "I will create for him a companion who will be with him forever and who will see him as he is. The companion will remind him of his limitations, so he will know that he is not worthy of adoration."

And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam. And Cat would not obey Adam. And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the supreme being. And Adam learned humility.

And God was pleased.
And Adam was greatly improved.
And Dog was happy.
And Cat couldn't care less one way or the other..

« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 07:30:11 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2005, 01:46:52 PM »

LOL that's funny ozgeorge! cat person, eh? Smiley

im a no-pet person lol altho i melt to pieces whenever i see mini versions of either animal - kittens or puppies...if i can hold it with one hand, then it are adorable and i love it to death...problem is when they get bigger...oy no thank you Smiley

hmmmm...
Tags: cats pets animals 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: