Moderated Forums > Oriental Orthodox Discussion

St. Pontius Pilate Day?

<< < (2/11) > >>

Didymus:
Also thought this was an Ethiopian tradition however I am aware of Copts who also believe it.

Could somebody please clarify the case?

Would anyone be able to point me to an icon of St. Pilate too please?
I can't find any. If you have one saved on your computer you could upload it to a site like photobucket.com and then post its URL by following the instructions on site. Otherwise please send me a message and perhaps you could email it?

Thank you and pray for me please.

EkhristosAnesti:

--- Quote from: EkhristosAnesti on June 26, 2005, 08:18:08 AM ---According to Coptic Church tradition...
--- End quote ---

I am not too sure what, if at all, I was thinking when I wrote this, but I am not in any sense aware of any source of Coptic Church tradition that tells the story of Pilate's life relayed in my previous post. Maybe I meant to say Ethiopian? I don't know. I'm not even sure what source of Ethiopian Church tradition lies as the basis of this story. I'll have to look into this again when I have the opportunity so I can clarify what the deal is once and for all.

Salpy:
Some years ago I when I was visiting St. Antony Monastery in California, some one in our group asked one of the monks if Pilate was a saint in the Coptic Church.  The monk said he had never heard of Pilate being a saint in his Church.

I think the Ethiopian Orthodox commemorate him on June 19.  I got that from a website that may or may not be reliable:

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/Carter-Pontius_Pilate_Roman_Governor.htm

Our Ethiopian brothers can fill us in on the details and correct any mistakes we've made about their traditions.

With regard to other OO's venerating him, that should not be too remarkable.  Information about saints will spread from one population to another, regardless of whether their Church officially recognizes those saints.  I run my church's bookstore, and some years ago a woman came up to me with an old, worn, out-of-print book.  She asked me if I could find more copies of it so she could give them to her friends.  I looked at the book and realized it was a compilation of stories about Pilate translated into Armenian.  It had the stories of his conversion and beheading.  Of course I couldn't find any currently in print versions of it in Armenian.  But the fact that it had been translated and printed in Armenian showed that the Ethiopian tradition had spread.

Salpy:
Bump.

Could our Ethiopian brothers tell us something about their Church's tradition on Pontius Pilate?  It would be nice to hear the "real deal," as opposed to second hand information from non-Ethiopians.   :)

Didymus:

--- Quote from: Salpy on April 14, 2008, 12:32:24 AM ---Some years ago I when I was visiting St. Antony Monastery in California, some one in our group asked one of the monks if Pilate was a saint in the Coptic Church.  The monk said he had never heard of Pilate being a saint in his Church.

I think the Ethiopian Orthodox commemorate him on June 19.  I got that from a website that may or may not be reliable:

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/Carter-Pontius_Pilate_Roman_Governor.htm

Our Ethiopian brothers can fill us in on the details and correct any mistakes we've made about their traditions.

With regard to other OO's venerating him, that should not be too remarkable.  Information about saints will spread from one population to another, regardless of whether their Church officially recognizes those saints.  I run my church's bookstore, and some years ago a woman came up to me with an old, worn, out-of-print book.  She asked me if I could find more copies of it so she could give them to her friends.  I looked at the book and realized it was a compilation of stories about Pilate translated into Armenian.  It had the stories of his conversion and beheading.  Of course I couldn't find any currently in print versions of it in Armenian.  But the fact that it had been translated and printed in Armenian showed that the Ethiopian tradition had spread.

--- End quote ---

With all due respect to the monk with whom you spoke, there are many monks who are honourable men of simple faith who would not have considered such things. That being said, a Christian of the Coptic Church gave me somewhat of a caution this week for refering to St. Pontius Pilate saying that you'll never hear about him officially outside of the Ethiopian Church. (This somewhat surprised me as I know this person has a personal belief that Pontius Pilate is a saint.)

I would say your link is probably in error as Wiki is unlikely to be wrong about something like this. I've heard before that it's June 25th as well although I'm not sure about which calendar. Could an Ethiopian clarify please?

You wouldn't happen to be able to say the title of that book you mentioned in English please would you? Is it available anywhere at all please?

Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version