OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 04:06:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Pontius Pilate Day?  (Read 9265 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »

I got a different feel for the conversation, I didn't get the sense the determining Pilate's saintliness was a hinging matter on determining the one true faith.  But I do agree that it is certainly not a critical matter for the faith.  I am certainly not despairing over it, it is simply just a matter of interest for me.  Message boards like this offer insight into potential sources of research.

The number of saints who have not been canonized and have disappeared into the silence of history are numerous as the sand of the sea.

Started under Constantine, the spread of a unified Christianity does appear to have been a strategy not for Christianity but for the political interests of the empire - a strategy which continued for another 1000 years to the end of the Byzantine empire.  Christianization of Rome's enemies turned them into allies (or at least pawns) in their grand strategy, by winning over the hearts of the people and their rulers, opening the doors to communication through a commonality.

For those prior to Constantine, a praefect that was converted to an enemy of the empire might convey weakness and disunity within the empire, or otherwise might offer a sense of validity to the Christian faith which the emperors generally sought to subdue.  Continuing in this thought after the Christianization of the empire may have just been a convenient carryover, one that was easy for Christians to accept on account of Pilate's notoriety.

Research is certainly the key to this question.  I would invite anyone who has relevant sources to post them here, as well as any commentaries on these particular references  regarding the authors' particular circumstances and biases.
Didyma

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

A Peregrine Mariner

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »

I'm not sure how true the theory of Pilate's martyrdom is, but I would like it to be true.  I always felt sorry for him, as it seemed he had really no idea what was going on and was genuinely concerned about violent rebellion if the Hebrews didn't get what they wanted.  It seems like his wife wouldn't be likely to let the matter go if she prophesied to Pilate about Christ being a holy man.

I am with you on this one. He has always been the Biblical person closest to my heart.

Really?  That's interesting.  I don't know which one would be closest to my heart, but Pilate would probably be close.

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

Perhaps this is one of the understudied topics. One can ask where did the Armenians and Ethiopians get their sources. Another thing to ask is how the gospels portrayed Pilate. Was he a "just" man, or a coward?  Is it enough for him to have washed his hands from the problem?

One also wonders why is it that the Christian empire in the fourth century is concerned about a pagan past in first century concerning whether to keep him condemned or not? Don't we have stories of martyrs who worked in the government and converted against the wishes of the pagan government?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: Pilate Ethiopian Orthodox Church Oriental Orthodox saints saints OO calendars 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: