Author Topic: Gluttony 2.0 - The Worship of Healthy Food  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
Gluttony 2.0 - The Worship of Healthy Food
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:06:42 PM »

McCann is one of several academics presenting papers at next week’s Congress of the Humanities & Social Sciences in Ottawa looking at how the explosion of “clean eating” — whether raw food and juicing, the paelo diet, gluten-free regimens or fervent veganism — has created a moral hierarchy for food.

She argues that the rise in food movements has coincided with a decline of religion in society, with many people seeking familiar values such as purity, ethics, goodness.
http://news.nationalpost.com/life/food-drink/the-new-religion-how-the-emphasis-on-clean-eating-has-created-a-moral-hierarchy-for-food
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Re: Gluttony 2.0 - The Worship of Healthy Food
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
"Follow me and I will make you juicers of kale."  LOL.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
Juicing is too much faff. Just make kale chips. ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »
What's wrong with gluten if you don't have celiac disease?

She argues that the rise in food movements has coincided with a decline of religion in society, with many people seeking familiar values such as purity, ethics, goodness.

It would partially explain the smugness of the health cultists.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:50:49 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:05:08 AM »
What's wrong with gluten if you don't have celiac disease?

Nothing.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 07:41:11 PM »
Interesting. I've thought for a while that "clean eating" was a form of secular kashrut for some people.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »

If the ideas were anti-Christianity you guys would (rightly) tear this apart in 27 different ways, showing how sloppy the argument, how weak the evidence, etc. Then again, I guess you did need some excuse for posting that image, so whadya gonna do?  :police:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:25:51 PM by Justin Kissel »
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »
Now that people aren't dying of smallpox and starvation, we need to worry about whether so many ppm of some carcinogen will shave an extra 5 years off our final decrepitude. I'd take it more seriously if I were you.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »
Now that people aren't dying of smallpox and starvation here in the wealthy West, we need to worry about whether so many ppm of some carcinogen will shave an extra 5 years off our final decrepitude. I'd take it more seriously if I were you.

FIFY ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:40:21 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
I do think it's important to try and eat ethically, that's a whole separate issue from health and I wish the article didn't conflate them so much.

It's easier said than done though, and I'm certainly the chief of hypocrites about it.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 10:47:35 PM »
Now that people aren't dying of smallpox and starvation here in the wealthy West, we need to worry about whether so many ppm of some carcinogen will shave an extra 5 years off our final decrepitude. I'd take it more seriously if I were you.

FIFY ;)

Or anywhere. You know smallpox is completely eradicated, right? And the reason Africa's population is exploding is because they've stopped starving to death and dying from a zillion tropical diseases.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 11:24:52 PM »
A thought here: if you follow to the letter the Orthodox fasting guidelines, you will avoid meat, dairy, oil and wine about half the year.

So, "eating healthy" can't be all bad. After all, we do it now.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »

FIFY ;)

Or anywhere. You know smallpox is completely eradicated, right? And the reason Africa's population is exploding is because they've stopped starving to death and dying from a zillion tropical diseases.

True, but there are some samples retained in laboratories. It's not impossible for it to come back. You're right, though, that I was mistaken about it still occurring. I thought it recurred a few years ago.

I didn't realize Africa's population was recovering.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 11:54:43 PM »
A thought here: if you follow to the letter the Orthodox fasting guidelines, you will avoid meat, dairy, oil and wine about half the year.

The article isn't bashing healthy eating but being "hyperdox" about it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:55:12 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 02:45:12 AM »

The article isn't bashing healthy eating but being "hyperdox" about it.

Just another eating disorder.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 10:36:30 AM »

FIFY ;)

True, but there are some samples retained in laboratories. It's not impossible for it to come back. You're right, though, that I was mistaken about it still occurring. I thought it recurred a few years ago.

I didn't realize Africa's population was recovering.

Yeah, though you're also right that the developing world still has less adequate health care. The point is that even as our circumstances are vastly improved, we will still find something to worry about.