Author Topic: Prophecies about Christ.  (Read 551 times)

Raylight

Prophecies about Christ.
« on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »
This question came to my head many times in the past and lately I'm thinking about it.

Usually, not always but usually prophecies about Christ in the Old Testament or about events that will take place in the future are like "a  prophecy in a current event". I don't know if that the true to say  but that what it seems like. For example, our Lord being born of a Virgin was a prophecy, but the words of the prophecy itself at that time meant for certain event that took place at that certain time. And this is all through the Old Testament where events that take place from the flood and the arc that represents the Church, to exodus...etc. all are real events that were shadows for something greater to come.

However, there are verses where it seems hard to understand how it could relate to the first coming of Christ. For example :

Jeremiah 23: 5-8   " 5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.

6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

7 Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that they shall no more say, The LORD liveth, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt;

8 But, The LORD liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the north country, and from all countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land. "

In my Orthodox Study Bible, it says that this is a prophecy about the Lord Jesus Christ. But when I look at it, it doesn't make sense to me.

Is this another thing in the OT ? Like another way of telling a prophecy in the language of the people of that time, even if that means certain things that are mentioned are not necessary part of the prophecy ?

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Re: Prophecies about Christ.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 06:09:53 AM »

Jeremiah 23: 5-8   " 5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.

6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

7 Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that they shall no more say, The LORD liveth, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt;

8 But, The LORD liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the north country, and from all countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land. "

This is a prophecy about Jesus. Throughout His life the Romans did not attack the Jews unless they did not pay taxes and other important laws.  Also God was with the true Jews who accepted the Messiah He preserved many like John the Beloved

Though the Jews are not His people anymore the promises still apply to them. The bible may even teach in the last days all Israel will accept the Messiah and be saved or it will be the dominant religion in Israel which explains why Gabriel said to Daniel I will show what will happen to your people in the latter day which refers to Jews he said the daily sacrifice shall be taken away by the tyrant we know that refers to communion as the daily sacrifice is already taken away if they try to sacrifice animals now the world would protest

John 11:49-52 (KJV)

49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,

50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:11:48 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 07:43:12 AM »
Actually I think they shall offer up sacrifices in the latter days and the antichrist shall betray the Jews after which Perhaps the Jews shall turn to Christ
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:43:37 AM by mikeforjesus »

Raylight

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »
Thank you for the reply Mikeforjesus :)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »
Thanks Your Welcome  though I don't feel I answered well I just scratched the surface I hope to reply another time when I study the bible more deeply