Author Topic: Orthodox Christianity and Jewish people.  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Orthodox Christianity and Jewish people.
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »
Anyone else thinking of Katherine and Petruchio?
LOL!!! So, when do we get to see the taming? This has been an awfully long play.

I don't know, but I sure hope it's sooner rather than later.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
and the Rebbes delayed emigrating from zeurope to America in the 2930s due to the Nazi threat,

*GASP* TIME TRAVELLING RABBIS!

I must write about this. :laugh:
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »
My my!! I will not be able to continue with this thread since it became too complicated. But the answer I got are the following:

Racism, including Antisemitism are opposed by the Orthodox Church, hence, any racist or antisemitic needs to avoid such sin.

The Orthodox Church believes that the Church is the new Israel, nevertheless, it doesn't go further than that and doesn't declare any dogma regarding the issue of today.

Thanks to those who replied, specially wgw whom I enjoyed his replies which were eye-opening.

Looks like you got the result that you wanted, as usual.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:22 PM »
The Orthodox Church believes that the Church is the new Israel, nevertheless, it doesn't go further than that and doesn't declare any dogma regarding the issue of today.

Doesn't declare a dogma regarding which issue?

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »
and the Rebbes delayed emigrating from zeurope to America in the 2930s due to the Nazi threat,

*GASP* TIME TRAVELLING RABBIS!

I must write about this. :laugh:

Wow, embarassing typo.  Its the iPad keyboard.  I need to post more from my laptop or console now that my health is improved.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Raylight

« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »
My my!! I will not be able to continue with this thread since it became too complicated. But the answer I got are the following:

Racism, including Antisemitism are opposed by the Orthodox Church, hence, any racist or antisemitic needs to avoid such sin.

Thanks to those who replied, specially wgw whom I enjoyed his replies which were eye-opening.

Looks like you got the result that you wanted, as usual.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/size]

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »
I am glad I was able to provide you useful info Raylight.  Do you have any questions or anything youd like me to look into for you on this subject?
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Raylight

« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2015, 08:54:55 PM »
I am glad I was able to provide you useful info Raylight.  Do you have any questions or anything youd like me to look into for you on this subject?

So far no. But I see that you have a good knowledge on Judaism which is something I admire about any person who knows about other beliefs rather than remain ignorant about them.

Thank wgw :)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • St. Philaret of New York pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2017, 10:11:57 AM »

The Jewish people have gone through a lot for the last 2000 years. Unfortunately, some of that was done by some Christians who were driven by blind hate and false belief that Christ would approve of such barbaric acts. I oppose antisemitism and any sign of such hate, and I do not tolerate those who hold antisemitic views in particular and those who hold racist views in general. ( By " I do not tolerate..." I mean, I wouldn't be friend of such person. I already had a friend who is antisemitic and lets just say I never saw such hate like I saw in him ).

Does the Eastern Orthodox Church have any declaration on the issue of antisemitism ? Is it a heresy for an Orthodox Christian to believe that Jewish people have a right to be in the land of Israel ?

At the mean time, I pray to God for peace in the Holy Land. That may Arabs and Jews live together in peace in the city of peace.

In the 2,000 years of Christian tradition we Orthodox have not been perfect.  We have sinned against God, each other, and just about every group of human beings that exist, including Roman Catholics, Protestants and Jews. 

Antisemitism has waxed and waned throughout history and it has taken place all over the world and especially in Western, Central and Eastern Europe, wherever there have been large populations of Jews.  This is not to excuse antisemitism, but to point out that being Orthodox does not necessarily cause it.  Antisemitism has occurred in Roman Catholic, Protestant, Islamic, Orthodox and Secular societies. 

It is true that in the past Jews in certain parts of Europe were treated terribly at times.  The Jews were expelled from Spain in the middle ages. The Crusades gave rise to all sorts of perversions and hideous antisemitic acts against the Jews all over Europe. Eastern France had a hideous outbreak of antisemitism in Strasbourg in the medieval period that results in hundreds of Jews have their property stolen and being burned alive. Germany, Poland and Russia, all three with rather large Jewish populations at some point in their history, varied throughout their history from being mildly tolerant of Jews, to restricting them, to great prejudice against them, pogroms against them, to downright genocide.

I would counsel you to learn to distinguish between the secular gov'ts of Germany, Poland, and Russia and between the Lutheran, Roman Catholic, and Orthodox Churches respectively.  Remember that acts of gov't are not the acts of particular churches.  This doesn't mean that we ignore antisemitism, but that its causes are complex and cannot be reduced to the existence of another religious group.

I don't know if any Ecumenical Council has ever addressed the subject of antisemitism.  Nevertheless, since we in the Orthodox Church do not believe in inherited sin and guilt, it would be very wrong and inconsistent of us to blame today's Jewish people for the sins of their fathers. They had nothing to do with that and should be left alone in peace.

I think the most charitable thing I could say is that the Orthodox Church and the Jewish people have different understandings of who Jesus Christ is.  And neither one is likely to change their viewpoint ever.  Therefore, let us learn to be neighborly and kind to one another, and not argue about our religious differences.

Regarding your question about the "right" of modern day Jews to be in Israel:  That all depends on what you mean by the word "right."  Orthodox Christians do not believe that God Himself re-established the nation of Israel in 1948 as a homeland for the world's Jewish people, regardless of what American fundagelicals might believe about the matter.  Orthodox Christians look upon the modern secular nation of Israel as of no more divine in its institution, no more "special to God" than any other country on the face of the earth.  Modern Israel is no more special to God than Bolivia, Mongolia or Iceland and to treat it as such and to give it "carte blanche" to treat the Palestinians like dirt (many of whom are Orthodox Christians) is to make an idol out of that modern nation state. 

This doesn't mean we have to get all emotional about Israel.  Just remember that there's nothing special or divine about it and the Knesset has the obligation to treat all Israeli citizens and residents with the human dignity that they deserve.
Your comment made me laugh, My old Jewish Studies teacher (a Chasidic Rabbi) insisted that the six day war victory was a miracle from God!  ::)
"Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as if it were some private treasure. Share it!"

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • St. Philaret of New York pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2017, 10:33:47 AM »
If you didn't find anything bad in the Talmud you didn't look hard enough.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:35:06 AM by Jackson02 »
"Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as if it were some private treasure. Share it!"

Fr. Seraphim Rose