OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:10:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Prayerbook Recommendations  (Read 1313 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: June 25, 2005, 12:46:05 PM »

I have the Jordanville Prayerbook and Byzantine Daily Worship.  I'm looking for something with the hours.  Any recommendations? 

Thanks!

SeanMc

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 12:50:02 PM »

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=LITU260 : Are you looking for a Liturgikon?

I have the Liturgy of the Hours, the Anglican Breviary, and the Book of Common Prayer. If I were to choose, I would choose the Anglican Breviary (although its bascially just an Anglican translation of the old Breviarium Romanum and it wouldn't have the Orthodox feasts).
Esteban

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 04:11:18 PM »

Greetings!

The pertient liturgical book would be the Horologion. To pray all the services of the Horologion, however, one must own an additional small library worth a few thousand dollars! I would recommend to obtain either the HTM Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians, which contains the Office of Small Compline and of the Paraklesis to the Mother of God, and then to print out such services as The Third and Sixth Hours, the Typika, and the Molieben from Father John Whiteford's excellent site:

http://www.saintjonah.org/services/horologion.htm

I hope this is helpful!

--Julio

"This life has been given to you for repentance. Do not waste it in vain pursuits."

--St Isaac the Syrian
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 09:15:33 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

St. Tikhon's Seminary Bookstore sells copies of a booklet of just the Hours.  I like using the prayerbook of the Old Beleivers from Erie, PA.  Also check with Light and Life they have alot of prayerbooks and Horologions to chose.  Also the Sister of St. Basil (Ukrainian Catholic) have nice smaller books for Vespers, Matins, Menia, et al -- I know they're Catholic, but they are a perfect size for use when traveling.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 07:58:18 PM »

I have used The Great Horologion (Holy Transfiguration), The Horologion (St. Tikhons) and The Hours of Prayer (ACROD), but haven't found any one to be so far superior that I would recommend a specific version and dismiss the others. I'd say that it probably depends on how much money you want to spend. For the ones I gave, the prices would be something like $90, $55, and $10 respectively. Obviously the more money you are spending, the more information you are getting. Then again, like someone said, to really, really, really do things "right" you'd be spending a month's wages anyway. If you're just Joe Layman and are trying to incorporate some extra prayers into your daily prayer cycle, then IMO there's nothing wrong with the $10 version. If anything, it's better, as you won't have to hold a 5 lb. book in your hands for all those lengthy prayers.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 08:00:15 PM by Paradosis » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: