Author Topic: In Iran, "white marriages" (cohabitation) are becoming extremely common  (Read 538 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
Nina and Ahmad have lived happily together in their small one-bedroom apartment for years. They share the cost of groceries; they split the rent..

But in Iran, where Islamic teachings are woven into all aspects of life, theirs is a delicate — and illegal — arrangement: They are not married.

The pair is among a growing number of young couples in Iran who are living together without exchanging vows, a trend that the government says undermines the country's religious values.

Last year, the chief of staff to the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, called cohabitation "shameful."

More here. Just goes to show how complex a society Iran is, far more so than is commonly portrayed in western media. Even though it is technically an Islamic theocracy, the way people actually live "on the ground" doesn't really measure up with that, which upsets the leaders but there isn't really much they can do about it, at least not without triggering a backlash.

I've developed something of an interest in Iran ever since meeting Roxana Saberi in person a few years ago.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:13:37 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline hamster02

• Faith: Protestant
Sigeh (persian) or muta'a(arabic) is common in shia countries. According to them Muhammed prcaticed it, I think it was Umar who outlawed it among the sunni's.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST9E4QvWQSY

I don't actually think people in Iran are opposed to velayet- al- faqih, they just want it to evolve like this iranian- canadian found out.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UONwj4mujAI
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:11:24 AM by hamster02 »
"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior"- Luke 1:47

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Tehran is the transsexual capital of the world, with the mullas approval.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Woah, thats a surprise, I almost used a three letter acronym that would get me in trouble!  Do you have sources for that iamisry?

The Jafaris permit temporary marriages.  Shia Islam can be surprising.  As can Sufiism.  In Indonesia there are transexual Sufis who stab themselves with soecila consecrated daggers while ina mediumist trance, allegedly posessed by spirits who cause the sufi transmem to say things like "My strength is doubled, and my feeling is thin as the wind."  A saying repeated by Mevlevi Whirling Dervishes.  Is this a quote from the Quran or some Islamic mystical literature?

In Japan a White Marriage is a Roman Catholic or Anglican Style wedding officiated by a pauedo-priest; this is in accord with the syncretic religious praxis favored in the Far East.  The Japanese like to have Shinto naming ceremonies for Babies, look to Buddhists for spiritual guidance, look to Shinto for purification rites, make pilgrimages like the Shikoku 88 Temple Pilgrimage in Buddhism, and have Buddhist funerals, but with some Shinto influence.  So from their view, I suppose the thought is, the Christians have the best weddings, so well be married that way.  This does not to the Far Eastern religious method seem a contradiction; most Chinese, Vietnamese and Koreans practiced Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism along with indigenous folk religions.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Woah, thats a surprise, I almost used a three letter acronym that would get me in trouble!  Do you have sources for that iamisry?
for starters
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/04/iran-sex-change-operation_n_1568604.html
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
I actually respect Iranian transsexuals, at least the MTF ones. To become a woman in Iran you really have to mean it.

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
Last year, the chief of staff to the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, called cohabitation "shameful."

Cohabitation is the equivalent of mut3ah, a union of no obligations, no inheritance, no divorce because of its temporary nature and no dewry or separation money. It is -correctly- upheld by the Shia's.

Why would the supreme leader call it shameful.
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)