Author Topic: Monks refuse to leave Mar Mattai monastery, although IS are less than 4 mi away  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
Situated on the side of Mount Al-Faf in North Iraq's Nineveh Plains, St. Matthew's Monastery is recognized as one of the oldest Christian monasteries in Iraq. Today, the beige stone structure looks down on the rolling hills of one of Iraq's most active front lines against the Islamic State, less than four miles away.

The horizon is spotted with pluming towers of white and black smoke from U.S.-led coalition airstrikes and heavy artillery fire. From this front line, Islamic State territory stretches back to Mosul, the group's largest Iraqi stronghold.

More here. Mar Mattai (St. Matthew's) monastery is Syriac Orthodox.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Lord have mercy.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Amazing. Lord have mercy!
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
Lord have mercy and give them strength.
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Most Holy Theotokos, intercede for us.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Czar Lazar

• Elder
  • Само слога Србина спасава
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Српскa Православнa Црквa
Perhaps such examples of Love for Christ will help the conversion of many souls

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Lord Jesus have mercy!
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
Lord have mercy.

St. Isaac, pray for us.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
Moran etraḥam!
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline Balthasar

• Elder
Thank you, fathers!

Now it's time to worry more about us, us who are sitting in our comfortable homes and doing nothing, even to speak out against the obvious evil which is harassing and slaughtering our brothers and sisters throughout the world. Shame on us!

In a recent TV interview, Syrian Orthodox Archbishop Nikodimos Daoud, the diocese of Mosul and the Kurdistan region, said that the Christians had instilled culture in the Arabs and Muslims, but "they sold us out for nothing." Baghdad, he said, is ruled by mafias, as the result of the "mistaken policies" of the U.S. and the West. "When Western evil is fused with Arab stupidity, nations die," said the archbishop.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
So, does anybody know how/if this situation resolved?

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Online recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Rubricnigel

• Vini vidi vici
  • Jurisdiction: Chicago
Lord have mercy

Offline Rubricnigel

• Vini vidi vici
Thank you, fathers!

Now it's time to worry more about us, us who are sitting in our comfortable homes and doing nothing, even to speak out against the obvious evil which is harassing and slaughtering our brothers and sisters throughout the world. Shame on us!

In a recent TV interview, Syrian Orthodox Archbishop Nikodimos Daoud, the diocese of Mosul and the Kurdistan region, said that the Christians had instilled culture in the Arabs and Muslims, but "they sold us out for nothing." Baghdad, he said, is ruled by mafias, as the result of the "mistaken policies" of the U.S. and the West. "When Western evil is fused with Arab stupidity, nations die," said the archbishop.

What if i told you the plan for the middle east was to create turmoil, and create enemies for the CIA/Military industrial complex to fight.

https://archive.fo/0yhnq

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
What if i told you the plan for the middle east was to create turmoil, and create enemies for the CIA/Military industrial complex to fight.

I would say you were attributing a level of coherence to American foreign policy it does not merit.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Vini vidi vici

I would say you were attributing a level of coherence to American foreign policy it does not merit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

Here we have leading figures trying to get Bill Clinton to  remive Sadamn Hussein in 1998, and the same members were key figures in Bush's office. They took advantage of 911 to push their war in the middle east, which started the domino effect we have today.

History doesnt simply unfold, its molded and planned by those in power to enact change. I think president einsenhower said it best.

https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=90

IsIs is funded and trained by the USA, with help from other middle east powers. Why would we allow isis fighters by the thousands to flee?

http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-members-secretly-escape-raqqa-with-weapons-ammo-us-knew-2017-11

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
IsIs is funded and trained by the USA, with help from other middle east powers. Why would we allow isis fighters by the thousands to flee?

Only indirectly can you say ISIS was funded or trained by the USA, whether by the huge caches of weapons they gathered from the Iraqi army or the "moderate rebels" we trained in Syria. Once ISIS emerged, of course, it didn't take long for many American and Israeli observers to see their potential usefulness, e.g. in this insanely stupid essay by Tom Friedman. But it's a fallacy to deduce that, because a given power benefits from a particular development, that power must be responsible for it. Otherwise we would have to argue that Bush and Cheney were Iranian intelligence agents. As far as wider policy goals the US simply does not have a coherent strategy. The Pentagon and the CIA arm different militias and they start shooting each other; we arm the YPG/YPJ but also try to maintain an alliance with Erdogan; etc.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Rubricnigel

• Vini vidi vici

Only indirectly can you say ISIS was funded or trained by the USA, whether by the huge caches of weapons they gathered from the Iraqi army or the "moderate rebels" we trained in Syria. Once ISIS emerged, of course, it didn't take long for many American and Israeli observers to see their potential usefulness, e.g. in this insanely stupid essay by Tom Friedman. But it's a fallacy to deduce that, because a given power benefits from a particular development, that power must be responsible for it. Otherwise we would have to argue that Bush and Cheney were Iranian intelligence agents. As far as wider policy goals the US simply does not have a coherent strategy. The Pentagon and the CIA arm different militias and they start shooting each other; we arm the YPG/YPJ but also try to maintain an alliance with Erdogan; etc.

Our wider goals are world supremacy by maintaining superiority in the region, and stopping the other big players (china, russia).
We benefit from ISIS, as do our partners (israel, saud arabia) in the region.
Isis was created because we created a vacuum in the region, then it was used to overthrow Libya, syria, etc.

Bush and cheney being Iranian agents, i think you could argue israeli agents, or saudi agents because both are much better off now.

I dont think history will look back on this century and view Americas global ambitions well.

Anyway, god bless its been a good talk

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Give them mercy Lord ~ Christians go there with automatic weapons ~ kill these Crazy, Wild People and put them at peace ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
Give them mercy Lord ~ Christians go there with automatic weapons ~ kill these Crazy, Wild People and put them at peace ```

Never really that simple. But we'd get too political.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Well ` Don't see any thing political about it ```

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
Well ` Don't see any thing political about it ```

You kind of already did.