Author Topic: The Rohingya ("Boat People") refugee crisis  (Read 745 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
The Rohingya ("Boat People") refugee crisis
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
Re: The Rohingya ("Boat People") refugee crisis
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »
2015 is the year of the boat refugees, apparently.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 01:24:57 PM »
I saw an article in the LA times about a "radical" Buddhist monk who is trying to get rid of these people. I don't really know enough information to form a justifiable view on the matter, but my immediate reaction is that this is ethnic cleansing. Apparently, people are fabricating stories of rape and other acts of violence to get lynch mobs on these people.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:56:33 PM »
On 4Chan's /int/ board ASEAN thread whenever this is brought up, users would simply shift the responsibility for taking them in to different countries.

It seems that, countries are unwilling to take them in. Their own state(Myanmar) rejects them. Everyone else simply pledged to give them aid. Ironically to the Filipinos on /int/, the Philippines have agreed to shelter them, at least based on the Wiki article alongside the United States.

My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
Seems to far away from me to care about. I guess if I were a Muslim country I'd feel some responsibility for them, in the way I feel Christian countries have a responsibility to harbor Christian refugees (NOT Muslim ones).

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »
On 4Chan's /int/ board ASEAN thread whenever this is brought up, users would simply shift the responsibility for taking them in to different countries.

It seems that, countries are unwilling to take them in. Their own state(Myanmar) rejects them. Everyone else simply pledged to give them aid. Ironically to the Filipinos on /int/, the Philippines have agreed to shelter them, at least based on the Wiki article alongside the United States.

To some extent it comes down to raw numbers. How many refugees are we talking about? The problem with the Mediterranean boat people is that there is no foreseeable end to the supply; if Europe takes in one boat, it feels obligated to take in the rest. There are hundreds of millions of poor Africans eager to get into Europe, but can Europe take them all?

When it comes to the Rohingya, the numbers seem much more manageable from the point of view of host nations. Even then, most neighbors seem to think otherwise, even Muslim ones.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »

To some extent it comes down to raw numbers. How many refugees are we talking about? The problem with the Mediterranean boat people is that there is no foreseeable end to the supply; if Europe takes in one boat, it feels obligated to take in the rest. There are hundreds of millions of poor Africans eager to get into Europe, but can Europe take them all?

When it comes to the Rohingya, the numbers seem much more manageable from the point of view of host nations. Even then, most neighbors seem to think otherwise, even Muslim ones.

Well currently the estimates is about 7000 refugees for those stranded at sea. The only country that seemed to do something is Malaysia which accepted some of them in throughout the years(they are still reluctant to take them in despite being an officially Islamic country). The main problem is that locals have a phobia of being overwhelmed by foreigners in their own country. The act of accepting them might be perceived as a move towards that end. In Malaysia, there's strong reaction against migrant workers.

For Thailand, the insurgency in the southern region makes accepting Muslim refugees a difficult since it might make the insurgency worse. The Philippines also have somewhat of a similar problem with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front(MILF) which is probably why they are reluctant to take them in.

Singapore won't be doing anything, particularly when there's sentiments against foreign workers and immigrants by the local born who have to compete with international students for jobs once education is complete. Most Malaysians working in Singapore would be reluctant to go back to Malaysia. Heck, a lot of their doctors and nurses are Malaysians. Singapore is a city state as well so it wouldn't have much land to accommodate them.

SEA countries are only beginning to pledge and promise assisting these refugees because of International pressure, not because they willingly do so.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:25:14 PM by sakura95 »
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy