Author Topic: The Fall of Palmyra  (Read 570 times)

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
The Fall of Palmyra
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
How lonely sits the city
    that once was full of people!
How like a widow she has become,
    she that was great among the nations!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32820857

Islamic State militants have taken near complete control of the Syrian city of Palmyra, home to some of the world's most magnificent ancient ruins.

There are fears that the militants will destroy the ruins, which Unesco has designated a World Heritage site.

Government troops have almost entirely withdrawn from the city following an IS advance, an eyewitness told the BBC.

IS militants have demolished several ancient sites that pre-date Islam in Iraq, including Hatra and Nimrud.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Re: The Fall of Palmyra
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:00:09 PM »
St. Michael, pray for us.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:16:26 PM »
When I was in Syria I wandered around Palmyra all by myself. A whole city that once rivaled Rome.
I shudder to think it lasted all that long for me to see it, to then be obliterated.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
I don't know... ISIS might have a change of heart and try boosting their tourism industry.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »
It would be a tremendous loss, but it pales in comparison to the horrors inflicted upon the Syriac Orthodox faithful and other human beings in territories held by Daesh.  Lord have mercy.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
I don't know... ISIS might have a change of heart and try boosting their tourism industry.
I was watching VICE the other day, and apparently, they actually make a lot of money on this stuff (so they don't destroy all of them) by selling them to museums in the black market who are willing to pay millions!

I however while saddened at heritage being destroyed (no doubt many would be Christian), I think it is also a trap that we fall into that furthers ISIS propaganda.  They tell people "see, they like pagan artifacts more than human blood".  I hate to say it, but at that point, forget the artifacts.  Let them burn and be destroyed.  The media should concentrate on human beings who suffer, not things that they wish to put on display to further our own lust for knowledge.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »
It would be a tremendous loss, but it pales in comparison to the horrors inflicted upon the Syriac Orthodox faithful and other human beings in territories held by Daesh.  Lord have mercy.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1012722288747543

While worshipers were praying during a Liturgy next door, the residence of the Archbishop of Aleppo, currently in captivity, is bombed. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1012722288747543

While worshipers were praying during a Liturgy next door, the residence of the Archbishop of Aleppo, currently in captivity, is bombed.

Lord have mercy.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.