OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 10:55:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why God sent His Son  (Read 1496 times) Average Rating: 0
Teke

« on: June 23, 2005, 07:59:06 PM »

I am a new convert to Orthodoxy. It is my understanding that the Orthodox religion does not see Jesus sacrifice as a payment for sin. While I agree with this according to the sacrifices, it has not been explained how this conclusion was came to.

Let me also say, I understand that no religion has really figured out the Atonement. But taking the apophatic and typological approach to scripture, as I have, the paying for sin theory is not correct in my opinion.

Any help or study is much appreciated.

NULL
Teke

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 09:30:11 AM »

I can't believe there is not one response to this question.  Roll Eyes

NULL
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 10:29:59 AM »

Teke,  I wrote back just to let you know that I did read your post.  As I am new to Orthodoxy I am not qualified to answer your question.  Even if no one here steps up to the plate I suggest you talk to a priest about this subject...assuming you are attending the Divine Liturgy at an Orthodox Church.
God bless you,    Juliana
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 11:43:40 AM »

Teke,

I had a really nice article on this at one point, but I've misplaced it.
Anyway, here are a few decent ones. Just start googling orthodox soteriology or orthodox salvation etc and you get some returns. Basically, no, Orthodox don't agree with Atonement theology as expressed by other traditions, notably Calvinism. That said, Christ as atonement for our sins is just one part of salvation theology. Perhaps your priest can give you more instruction or some books to read on Orthodox soteriology.

http://www.orthodoxconvert.info/Q-A.php?c=Salvation-The%20Atonement

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/christcross.aspx

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 03:21:25 PM »

I haven't read this small book, but it sounds promising for you:)

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=AMIS100

Qui cantat, bis orat
Teke

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 03:48:47 PM »

Thank you for the replies. And my bishop does have me reading some books and I am reading some others also. As well as studying scripture and looking at the sacrifices and or offerings and what they mean.

From what I have discovered in the Hebrew wording, atonement comes from the word kaphar. It is first used in Genesis for the pitch that Noah puts on the ark. And also for the appeasing that Jacob does with Esau in giving him a gift.

I'm trying to clear this in my head, as I was Protestant for some 20 yrs and was told Christ paid for my sins. Yet the scriptures say in many places that no one pays for anothers sins. There is no example of it in scripture.

I assume this is why we face judgement. Since if our sins were really paid for there is nothing left to do. However, if they are covered, as in from Gods face for now and as in an appeasment made by Christ, then that gives us time to work out our salvation with God.

Working out our salvation makes more sense than Christ becoming sin as a payment.

Anyway, sorry if I sound goofy about this, but I know it has to do with our communion also. And I do not want to make light of it.
So I just need answers. I'll keep reading and studying scripture along with prayer. Maybe it will come to light more for me later.
The offerings in scripture are making it make more sense to me.  Smiley

I checked the links posted, but they are theorizing for the most part and not giving biblical types. The types help me more.

NULL
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 04:10:21 PM »

You might want to check out a thread titled "Penal substitution?" in the "Faith issues" section, which deals with this topic and provides for many links. Sorry I can't find the link and my net is going really slow atm..

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 10:59:48 PM »

Hey, there.

Check here, here, here, and here (it's all the same thread, but these posts deal with it).

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Teke

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 02:27:35 PM »

Thanks everyone, every little bit helps.  Grin

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: