Author Topic: Armenian Patriarch Expresses Solidarity With Syrian Christians  (Read 728 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
http://www.aina.org/news/20150512130441.htm

Washington -- In Defense of Christians (IDC) Executive Director Kirsten Evans today issued the following statement:
"On Friday, IDC's President, Toufic Baaklini, and Senior Advisor, Andrew Doran, had an audience with His Holiness Catholicos Aram I of the Holy See of the Cilicia of the Armenian Apostolic Church. The meeting took place two weeks following the centenary of the Armenian Genocide under the Ottoman Empire in 1915.

"His Holiness expressed grave concern for the Christian community of Aleppo, which finds itself caught in the crossfire of violent conflict. "Aleppo has long been a symbol of coexistence, where Christians and Muslims have lived side by side in peace for centuries," said Catholicos Aram. "We are deeply saddened to see the integrity of these Christian communities come apart and to see to many lives imperiled."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Armenian Patriarch Expresses Solidarity With Syrian Christians
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
My mother watched the DC Liturgy on television and cheered His Holiness as he gave his homily.  This was no mere enthusiastic approval.  I seriously thought she was going to give him a standing ovation, drink champagne, and switch jurisdictions. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 01:30:23 AM »
His Holiness has a groupie.   8)

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Apostolic
  • Jurisdiction: Holy See of Cilicia
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:47:05 AM »
  8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:02:26 AM by Brigidsboy »
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:53:07 AM »
My mother watched the DC Liturgy on television and cheered His Holiness as he gave his homily.  This was no mere enthusiastic approval.  I seriously thought she was going to give him a standing ovation, drink champagne, and switch jurisdictions.

??? On TV? What kind of TV do you own?
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 02:08:50 AM »
I really have to admit, I was incredibly impressed with Aram Vehapar at just about every juncture of this centennial commemoration, in the same way I felt when Karekin I visited the United States after his election in the 90s. I'll just leave it at that.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 02:09:45 AM »

??? On TV? What kind of TV do you own?
The liturgy was televised live on the EWTN network, if you have a cable package that includes it.

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Apostolic
  • Jurisdiction: Holy See of Cilicia
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
I really have to admit, I was incredibly impressed with Aram Vehapar at just about every juncture of this centennial commemoration, in the same way I felt when Karekin I visited the United States after his election in the 90s. I'll just leave it at that.

As my experience in the church has grown over the last 11 years I have come to the same conclusion especially having witnessed the events of the last month. I'll just leave it at that as well.    :o
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »

I am unfamiliar with HH Karekin I, but from the little I know and what I gather from friends who met him in India, I am impressed by HH Aram I.  And my mom now wants to be Armenian, so there is that endorsement as well. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »
Well Ive wanted to be Armenian since I was like 6, so your mom can join the club.

The main thing stopping me is the language is baffling.  Most of my exposure is with Iranian Armenians furthermore, so I have no idea what other Armenians are like, beyond limited encounters. But I love the Copts and Syriacs and have the same feeling of being at home with them, and I expect given the time I spent in Ghana I would feel equally at home amongst the Ethiopians.  I think it's actually the shared family values of Oriental Orthodoxy which are shining through.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:39:11 PM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:00:33 AM »

Does anyone know where there is a link to a transcript of the homily?