OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 02:35:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books on the Orthodox faith...  (Read 1122 times) Average Rating: 0
SOGFPP
Roman Catholic

Servant of God Father Patrick Peyton

« on: June 21, 2005, 08:53:51 PM »

What books do you reccomend to learn about the Orthodox faith?

I would appreciate suggestions that do not compare/contrast vs. the Roman Catholic Church... I would just like to know what book(s) would be a good primer on EO theology/ecclesiology.

Peace in Christ,
Scott

A world at prayer is a world at peace.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 09:16:06 PM »

Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church is a great starting point.  I also recommend Fr. Schmemann's Sacraments and Orthodoxy. 

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 09:00:49 AM »

Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church is a great starting point.ÂÂ  I also recommend Fr. Schmemann's Sacraments and Orthodoxy.ÂÂ  

Hi Scott,

Nice to see you here (I'm the James you know as IacobPersul elsewhere). I'd second Jennifer's suggestions except that if you're after theology rather than history I think you'd be better off with The Orthodox Way by Bishop Kallistos rather than The Orthodox Church. I'd also suggest (but it's heavy going at times) Vladimir Lossky's book The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church.

Hope that helps.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
SOGFPP
Roman Catholic

Servant of God Father Patrick Peyton

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »

Hiya James,

Thanks to you and Jennifer for the reccomedations.....

I thought I would pop over here to learn a bit more.... as you know, that other site is a bit too heated at times.... I enjoy our chats, and I hope we can continue them here.

I don't know my way around this site yet, so if you'd like my participation in a thread, please send me a link! Grin

Scott

A world at prayer is a world at peace.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 12:31:22 PM »

May I suggest a great book on Orthodoxy that is not polemical against the Catholic Church at all?  Its called "The Life In Christ" by Saint Nicholas Cabasilas, a 14th century churchman in Constantinople. Simple. Profound. Deeply Mystical. Highly Sacramental. You'd love it. And available online from St. Vladimir's Seminary Bookstore.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 12:43:41 PM »

Hi Scott,

Nice to see you here (I'm the James you know as IacobPersul elsewhere). I'd second Jennifer's suggestions except that if you're after theology rather than history I think you'd be better off with The Orthodox Way by Bishop Kallistos rather than The Orthodox Church. I'd also suggest (but it's heavy going at times) Vladimir Lossky's book The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church.

Hope that helps.

James

Lossy is heavy throughout, not just "at times".  If you can handle him, then great.  I have great difficulty.

I don't know why you say "The Orthodox Way" instead of "The Orthodox Church".  They are completely different in scope and focus.  One is about the nature of God and the other is Church History and basics about the Church - completely different.  I think "The Orthodox" Way is much more academic and philosophical in nature and "The Orthodox Church" is more practical.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: