Author Topic: Why?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Girl

• Search the unknown
Why?
« on: June 21, 2005, 05:08:53 PM »
Why do catholics use a rosary and not Orthodox or is this just my church?  ???
"Go out and make disciples of all nations" (Mathew 28:19)

Offline yBeayf

• High Elder
  • /etc
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 05:24:44 PM »
Short answer: because the rosary was a Western development, and not an Eastern one. The rosary developed as a way for lay people to substitute reciting all 150 psalms; instead, each Ave Maria would represent a psalm. The meditations on the mysteries were a later elaboration, as were the various chaplets that developed (Divine Mercy, etc.).

In the East, what was used instead was the chotki/vervitsa, lestovka, etc., which, like the rosary, started as a simple means of keeping track of short prayers, but never had the accretions that the rosary did in the West.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 05:24:58 PM by Beayf »

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 05:26:19 PM »
The Rosary is a later RC devotional and the Eastern Orthodox used the chotki (prayer rope) or lestovka (ladder) for counting Jesus Prayers well before the Rosary's invention. Although some older Russians do call the chotki a rosary from western influence.
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 05:27:35 PM »
Looks like BeaYf and I started responding at the same time and pretty much gave the same answers!
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

Offline Girl

• Search the unknown
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 05:33:14 PM »
To both of you, thank you I appreciate it I never quite understood that before?
"Go out and make disciples of all nations" (Mathew 28:19)

Offline dantxny

• OC.net Mineshaft gap
  • High Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:45:08 AM »
Girl,
It was also once explained to me, that another reason the rosary never developed in the east was because of the focus of meditating on images.  This is reccommended against in the Philiokia.  Perhaps, though, one of the wiser posters may have more information on that aspect, (and hopefully not correct a mistake!). 
"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.