OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 10:25:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To the Orthodox Apologists  (Read 46320 times) Average Rating: 0
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #360 on: April 06, 2003, 10:17:01 PM »

Grin
Monkey

Recovering Protestant

« Reply #361 on: April 06, 2003, 10:19:21 PM »

My wife has a Victrola. Maybe we should make some 78's while we are at it.

sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #362 on: April 06, 2003, 11:43:27 PM »

This has to be the longest thread in the entire history of this site. And sadly, it is not really about Orthodoxy but instead some errant Protestant site.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Oblio
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #363 on: April 06, 2003, 11:49:24 PM »

I think once we have the number of posts in this thread equal to the number of Protestant denominations, we should close it ! Shocked Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2003, 11:50:16 PM by Oblio » Logged
Monkey

Recovering Protestant

« Reply #364 on: April 06, 2003, 11:59:07 PM »

One problem, Oblio.

I think the number of Protestant denominations is growning faster than we are posting here.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #365 on: April 07, 2003, 12:26:23 AM »

I must say I disagree about the tracts.  It's fine to have them on a pamphelet rack at church, or on a table for interested parties to pick up at an event, but I've seen so many people on street corners handing out tracts to know how little actually is accomplished by them.  3/4 of people who pass by the tract guy refuse and the ones who take them usually are only being polite and throw them away.  I take them just to see what tomfoolery the publishing house is up to.  Not even to mention people who leave them in phonebooths, public restrooms, tucked in library books, etc.  To me it is phony evangelism; instead of living a Christian life that can point to Christ and not even knowing about one's own faith to enter into a discussion with someone many feel they are every bit as "justified" by handing out or strategically placing these tracts.  All that usually ends up happening with them is you see them on city streets as garbage.  Is this how we want pamphelets detailing Orthodoxy and even reprinting holy icons to be left?  

Having pamphlets that explain certain things are a good tool, and I think that is what everyone here is referring to, but they are a very very different thing from tracts.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2003, 12:36:50 AM »

Ok guys, it's time to close this thread.  25 pages is amazing but difficult to follow.  Please start new threads to continue any subtopics still under discussion!

anastasios
ADMIN
« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 12:37:55 AM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: