OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 04:02:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To the Orthodox Apologists  (Read 44296 times) Average Rating: 0
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2003, 03:59:48 PM »

Was their any tradition observed by the Ethiopian Emperor concerning humility towards the poor amongst his subjects?

Argh.  Lord have mercy.  Please gag me, someone.  Too much Bush and Chr+¬tien has managed to push me off the cliff into the pit of semiliteracy.  

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 04:12:36 PM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2003, 04:30:30 PM »

Well, I was taken aback there.  Anglican is none other than our once hardcore Greek Orthodox Abdur.  He's no fake after all.

Too much rebounding can make one dizzy.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 04:30:57 PM by SamB » Logged
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2003, 04:54:38 PM »

Hasn't our poor friend Abdur been Muslim, Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Jewish and vagante all within the last year? I imagine he needs our prayers very much. May God bless him and grant him stability and a path to truth.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2003, 06:36:23 PM »

More to the topic...

I think it was Linus who mentioned the idea of starting something like an apologetic society, and it was Bobby who said that we'd tried it a few weeks ago, but there was little interest.  Now, however, it seems like there is much more interest.  

If Bobby would give us the email address for the list he started, perhaps our apologetics enthusiasts would sign up with the rest of us and discuss not only what's going on "over there" (discussing it in this one thread might make the thread too long, and creating a new category for it isn't opportune at the moment), but also general ideas toward this type of goal.  If someone has a copy of Bobby's original email (I think I might have a copy), we could send that out again after some more sign up, and then we could bounce ideas back and forth.  

Any takers?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2003, 06:48:14 PM »

Onward with the St. Justin Martyr Society sign me up and send me the infoGǪ Smiley

It should also be made into a new folder on this page and anywhere you find orthodox.info on web searches you should also find the St. Justin Martyr folks.

The first thing we should do is formulate a FAQ of Orhodoxy list so we do not have to keep responding to things like "Mary worship" and the like.

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2003, 08:22:53 PM »

All right! May God bless the St. Justin Martyr Society!

Sign me up too!  Smiley

Have any of you ever read about The Catholic Evidence Guild that was organized by English Roman Catholic Frank Sheed and his wife in England about 50 or 60 years ago?

I read about it in Karl Keating's excellent book, Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on "Romanism" by "Bible Christians".

Sheed's Evidence Guild put together apologetics training literature and trained lay people to challenge Protestant misconceptions wherever they encountered them. Apparently they were very effective and secured many conversions.

Perhaps we could do something similar, God willing.

Anyway, on another note, I am extremely curious about this Abdur person. How do you all know that he is the infamous Anglican? Are you certain?

Can you give me some history on this individual?

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2003, 09:04:42 PM »

Check the Protestant Forum once more: the fellow has added "Abdur" to his "Anglican" online name.

Abdur is a long time participant at byzcath.org, and contributed to this forum when it began.  He's an ethnic Bosnian and as is typical with someone from a Balkan background, has Greek Orthodox relatives.  First we knew him, he was a Muslim (presumably, a born Muslim).

I recall he made a brief sojourn to Protestantism, became Greek Orthodox, then an old calendrist sympathizer.  His latest low church Anglican incarnation has just made itself known.

Byzcath had another such migrant whose name I forget.  He made considerably more hops, including a trip to Messianic Judaism.

It's an era of immigration.

Let's hope he gets his permanent bearings sometime in the future.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 09:16:56 PM by SamB » Logged
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2003, 09:29:33 PM »

Sign me up also for St. Justin Martyr Society Smiley

« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 10:20:58 PM by Oblio » Logged
Aklie Semaet

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2003, 09:35:33 PM »

Samer, crates of Araqy for sale? lol! If you can make a fortune selling a drink that tastes like NyQuil cough syrup and can easily fill in for gasoline if you get stranded more power to you.  

And Baba’s insistence notwithstanding, I don’t believe that it helps relive stomach painGǪ

Just pass me the Tej!

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2003, 11:21:05 PM »

IIRC the person who migrated to Messianic Judaism didn't make that many hops, came to his/her senses and is back in orthodox, apostolic Christianity, as enamored of the Russian Orthodox tradition as ever.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2003, 12:41:09 AM »

Serge,

Theodosy was the one who made one jump from Byzantine Catholic to Messianic Jew and then back to Byzantine Catholic.

Remember Vasili though? He was born Byzantine Catholic, became a Messianic Jew, then was Byzantine Catholic again, then was an Old Calendarist and ended his internet days as a priestless Old Believer.

In Christ,

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2003, 02:34:44 AM »

Remember Vasili though?

That's the chap.

In IC XC
Samer
Sapiens

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2003, 04:05:08 AM »

I'm new to this, but very enthused.

Can I apprentice myself to the St. Justin Martyr Society?  Smiley
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2003, 05:17:38 AM »

Wow, and I thought "Orthodox Answers" was dead.

If you are interested in joining, please send an email to:
OrthodoxAnswers-request@orthodoxchristianity.net

with the subject field of 'Subscribe' without the quotes of course.

This will add you to the list.

To send email to the list, write to OrthodoxAnswers@orthodoxchristianity.net

Bobby
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2003, 08:02:36 AM »

Thanks, anastasios and Samer. I’d forgotten about poor Vasili — his path definitely resembles Abdur’s.

Also, I didn’t mention Theodosy by name as I wanted to spare him any embarassment over the whole Messianic Jewish episode. I think I can share, though, that he was Roman Catholic to begin with. His jumps (including his mistake) have been few and not that unusual for a young person to make. Glad he’s home.

Parish- and jurisdiction-hopping isn’t that alarming, even though those things aren’t spiritually healthy to do too much. Doing it often, many times, is a problem, though. (Chances are the problem isn’t with the religion, minister or congregation; it’s with you.) It’s the people who make lots of big changes in relatively short periods — for example, Baptist one year, Buddhist the next, then Catholic, then worshipping Native American spirits after that — who worry me. It’s not fair to equate the former to the latter.

When I see the latter online I think either this person is playing games with the list/board or really has a problem.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 08:07:15 AM by Serge » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2003, 01:22:47 PM »

Robert -

I sent the email to subscribe. Can we call it the St. Justin Martyr Society, though?  Smiley

Everyone -

My own journey to the Holy Orthodox Church was long and agonizing, so I can understand "seekers."

I was baptized Lutheran as a baby, mainly because my Roman Catholic grandmother insisted I be baptized and my nominally Protestant parents wouldn't go RC.

As a teenager I went Fundamentalist and joined the Southern Baptists. I read the Bible a lot and bounced around, visiting almost every kind of Fundamentalist church, even Pentecostal and Charismatic.

I became so familiar with the Bible that its apparent discrepancies began to trouble me. My faith at that time was more in the Book than in Christ Himself. When the Book fell in my estimation, my house of cards fell with it.

I spent a few years in my twenties as an agnostic and, at times, an outright atheist.

As I matured, however, I became convinced the historic Jesus was who He said He was. I came back, but to a more mature faith. When I returned to church I decided to make it the Lutheran Church simply because that was the ancestral "faith of my fathers."

In the summer of 2000 I visited Russia. There I met a Russian priest named Father Aleksandr. His holiness impressed me beyond description. There seemed to be almost a light about this man. I decided to investigate Orthodoxy upon my return to America.

I was fortunate to find an English-speaking Orthodox Church in Manassas, Virginia (where I lived at the time). The priest there was a wonderful, saintly man named Father Nicholas. He answered my questions and even provided me with books and videotapes. I especially benefited from a videotape series by Father David Anderson.

By October of 2000 I was sold. I had found the Pearl of Great Price and was not about to give her up. On October 15, 2000, I was received by chrismation into the Holy Orthodox Church.

Praise God!  Smiley

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2003, 05:32:40 PM »

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story Linus7!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2003, 06:18:36 PM »

Samer, crates of Araqy for sale? lol! If you can make a fortune selling a drink that tastes like NyQuil cough syrup and can easily fill in for gasoline if you get stranded more power to you.

Flattery will get you nowhere.  Angry That will be 10 oz in gold bullion please, for an entire militia of 100.

And no Jedi mind tricks, mac.

And Baba’s insistence notwithstanding, I don’t believe that it helps relive stomach painGǪ

Heretic.  

I shake off the dust of my feet in your immediate direction.

Just pass me the Tej!

One complementary with each crate.  Crazy straw included.

In IC XC
Samer
varangia

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2003, 07:12:46 PM »

What a wonderful story, Linus. Smiley

NULL
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2003, 10:05:44 PM »

Thanks everyone.

I left out some important details, like the many lunchtime conversations I had with a good friend who is a Roman Catholic. He educated me in Church History and why it is good to venerate Mary and the other saints. My friend destroyed a lot of the ignorance and prejudice I had, but he couldn't quite convince me to follow him to Rome.  Smiley

I also read Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov during this period and was deeply impressed by the character, Father Zosima.  Dostoyevsky's book, Crime and Punishment, also moved me very much.

On another, more sour note, have you all read Berean's latest pronouncement over on www.christianbbs.com ?

He says he has come to the conclusion that the Orthodox Church is not a Christian Church and is "filled with unsaved heretics."  Grin

Was that supposed to be a news flash? Like we couldn't tell already what his opinon of us is?

I mean, after you refer to our Church as "apostate" and "whore" a few times, the notion that you think we are "unsaved heretics" is no real shocker!  Grin

What I do NOT understand are the low standards over at CBBS and why the moderators are not more proactive.

Such name-calling should not be allowed. It is not legitimate debate.

If that site was called "Fundamentalist Protestants.com" things would be different. For one thing, I would never visit it. But it is supposed to be part of "Christianity.com."

The problem is that many of the moderators over there agree with Berean and even endorse his tactics. One of them even started a thread praising Berean! It was later closed by Fritz, one of the better moderators.

Oh, well. One should expect the fruit to reflect the type of tree that produces it.

Sad, though.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 10:06:29 PM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2003, 10:31:37 PM »

Glory be to Jesus Christ !

berean is a real piece of work, as is his latest yesman blurbsky.
Did you see the Catholics: Christians or Whore ? thread ?
And of course the rampant Arianism of michael7777 has got to be a beacon for the truth of Sola Scriptura.  And then there is Abdur ...

God be merciful to me, the sinner !
Aklie Semaet

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2003, 10:32:19 PM »

On another, more sour note, have you all read Berean's latest pronouncement over on www.christianbbs.com ?

He says he has come to the conclusion that the Orthodox Church is not a Christian Church and is "filled with unsaved heretics."

Brother Linus,

You must understand that you frustrated Berean and it is obvious. He knows nothing else but Vatican bashing and Rome baiting. The fact that you took him to task, refuted all of his arguments and at the same time the cheap shots he likes to throw at the Vatican do no apply to Orthodoxy. That must be very frustrating to a loud mouth who knows nothing else but dirty debating tactics.

When it was time to face the evidence that sola scriptura, faith alone, and symbolic communion were all spurious modern inventions he could not respond or defend his position. Since you are not a Catholic his picture posting doesn’t really stick to youGǪyou just got the best of him and he admitted it, that’s all. Don’t take his comment personal.  

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2003, 10:41:40 PM »

Thanks , brothers.

Yes, I saw blurbsky's Catholicism: Christianity or Whore?. In fact, I just sent an email to the moderator, Fritz, bringing it to his attention. I have asked him to shut it down and direct its participants to the appropriate Catholic vs. Protestant topics.

I wonder what kind of reaction we would get if we used such tactics?

But we must not succumb to that temptation.

Only by patient persistence in well-doing will we win people to Jesus Christ.

Thanks for all your encouragement.

And thanks especially for all your wonderful and very insightful posts over there, at the "front."

In Christ,
Linus

- Pope St. Hormisdas
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2003, 10:00:07 AM »

Linus, one small favour.

It's prodromos, not podromos  Kiss

as in John the Baptist AKA John the Forerunner, +Ö-ë+¼++++++-é +á-ü-î+¦-ü++++++-é.

That's all Smiley

Your brother, John.

<edit> just noticed I didn't close the bold tag properly.</edit>
« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 04:21:40 AM by prodromos » Logged
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2003, 10:31:29 AM »

It seems that our friends GuitarPicker & berean are self-professed disciples of Dave Hunt.  Big surprise, I should have guessed it sooner.   I would imagine much of what they post is from his newsletter &/or website http://www.thebereancall.org/
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2003, 11:01:22 AM »

Dear John,

Oops!  Embarrassed

Sorry!

How did I miss the "r" ?

Won't happen again!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2003, 11:17:16 AM »

Oblio -

Interesting info on Dave Hunt.

Frankly, I had never heard of him until your post here.

I looked at the web site. It is pretty obvious that much of Berean's stuff is plagiarized (or nearly so) directly from that web site. Besides Berean and Guitarpicker, it is also apparent that Redseal is something of a Hunt-ite, since he started a thread once called The Woman Who Rides the Beast, and that is the title (or close) to one of the books for sale at Hunt's web site.

I find it interesting that Hunt was raised in the Plymouth Brethren sect. That is the sect partly founded by John Nelson Darby, the inventor of Dispensationalism.

Dispensationalism is not the innocent "approach to eschatology" it masquerades as. It is a rank heresy with far-reaching theological, ecclesiological, and Christological implications. It has crept into much of Protestantism and further corrupted it.

It is truly amazing how many self-proclaimed "ministries" there are among Fundamentalist Protestants and how dependent they are on the cult of personality.

I think it might be worthwhile to spend some time reading the stuff from Hunt's web site. That is, as long as one has a strong stomach and can resist the infection of heretical ideas.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 11:21:08 AM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2003, 11:30:10 AM »

Oblio -

Did you see Hunt's article, A Desperate Need for Correction, in the Perspectives section of his web site?

Now I know the source of Berean's signature, "Love is correction."

Chilling. Like Calvin's Geneva in winter. Puritans gathered around the burning stake, warming themselves as some wretched "reprobate" writhes in agony . . .

Correction. Brrr . . .

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2003, 12:53:30 PM »

Linus,

I wanted to let you know that I have signed on as Photini. I don't know how much real help I can be, but St Photini discussed theology at the well with Our Lord and is the Equal to the Apostles so with her help maybe I can do something.

I'm a former Catholic, now an Orthodox  catechumen and I live in Northern Ireland where we have lots of Berean types so this Whore of Babylon stuff is nothing new to me.  We even have people with his sort of views acting as members of parliament!

There is so much hate and ugliness on those boards that does need to be challenged. You guys are doing a tremendous job and enduring appalling provocation. I think you have Berean rattled and I am sure that the RCs give thanks for the day that the Orthodox apologists came to town!

So, if you will permit a Sisterhood of St Photini to stand alongside the Society of St Justin Martyr, I'll give it a try and encourage other women  to do so as well. I've started by answering some prayer requests as I feel perhaps here if nowhere else a newbie can reach out to these people.

Brigid (Photini)

Illuminated by the Holy Spirit, All-Glorious One,
from Christ the Saviour you drank the water of salvation.
With open hand you give it to those who thirst.
Great-Martyr Photini, Equal-to-the-Apostles,
pray to Christ for the salvation of our souls.

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2003, 03:12:26 PM »

So, if you will permit a Sisterhood of St Photini to stand alongside the Society of St Justin Martyr, I'll give it a try and encourage other women  to do so as well. I've started by answering some prayer requests as I feel perhaps here if nowhere else a newbie can reach out to these people.

With regard to the original idea of starting an apologetics endeavour, I don't think anyone ever thought of it in terms of men doing one thing and women doing another; why, if we can work together as is obviously happening now?  There's only a few of us signed up on the original email list; why not send an email to the address above and subscribe to the list, and then we can talk about names, direction, etc.?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2003, 04:13:02 PM »

Mor Ephrem,

I should have put in a smiley beside my suggestion as I fear you took me too literally.  Wink

I will indeed sign up and subscribe.

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2003, 04:17:00 PM »

Dear Brigid,

Sorry about that!  Glad to hear you signed up.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2003, 04:25:53 PM »

It seems that our friends GuitarPicker & berean are self-professed disciples of Dave Hunt.  Big surprise, I should have guessed it sooner.   I would imagine much of what they post is from his newsletter &/or website http://www.thebereancall.org/

And as I had thought, they are fanatical "Christian Zionists".  If they relegate Apostolic Palestinian Christians to subhuman status, then there is no wonder these folks will insult the Christianity of the Apostles with vile attacks.

Maybe one should invite Fr. Atallah to this little battle.  I'm certain he would enjoy clubbing our resident fundies over the head, and not merely in the figurative sense in religious and political discussion, since I don't doubt they wouldn't have hesitated to cheer at his arrest by the Israeli forces.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 04:39:02 PM by SamB » Logged
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2003, 06:12:09 PM »

Here are a few thoughts until the next group email bulletin is sent:

Linus, Oblio, Aklie, et al - I am very pleased in the manner with which you conduct yourselves at christianbbs.com.  Polemics can be a daunting and often infurianting task, and your civility and charity is a gift of the Holy Spirit.   I would urge others who have recently joined this and other debating endeavors to stay on "the high road" while fighting the good fight.  

When Bobby started the Orthodox Answers - PLZ READ thread, the original idea was to have a web resource for explanation of Orthodox teachings, and an extensive Q&A and dictionary sections.  Linus, with the call you have led at christianbbs.com you have invigorated many members of this site and we are just starting to see the fruits of this labor.  I would propose that the two efforts (educational website and society of Orthodox apologists) would go together nicely, but perhaps we might want to seperate the two in name only.  

I'm sure we are all familiar with www.orthodoxinfo.com and how it has a mix of useful information that is also tragically mixed with jurisdictional conflict.  There are many articles I would like to reccomend to inquirers but cannot because I don't want someone struggling with their own life in Christ to be discouraged by ecclesiastical politics.  I was able to avoid this until just before I was chrismated and by then had the "orthodox mindset" to see these issues in place and not let that discourage me from embracing Orthodoxy.

Most sites with information on Orthodoxy fall into this practice.  I must commend my own jurisdictions website www.oca.org because while they acknowledge there are problems, in the inquirer's sections you don't see intra-Orthodox polemics attacking each other.  Not to say that the site is perfect.  It is a good source of information, but it lacks content.  Fr. John Matusiak does a wonderful job in the Q&A section but the focus of the OCAs site is not on inquirers.  This is an area where I think we can make a great contribution to the ministry of the Church.  

If we have this resource available, the St. Justin the Martyr society will have a ready source for quotations and a source to lead friendly posters for more information.  This site would not have fuel for nitpickers to unsuccessfully try to sew seeds of discord and thus time can be spent on more fruitful discussions.  

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2003, 07:39:08 PM »

Dear Brigid,

I would have suggested the same thing that Mor Ephrem did, but he beat me to it!

Of course you can help!

I congratulate you on the courage you must have had to endure what you must have had to endure as a Catholic growing up in Northern Ireland.

We are very lucky here in North America. Most people are pretty easy-going about religion. That can be a bad thing, but in general it means we don't usually hate each other because of such differences. I grew up with friends from all sorts of persuasions.

That is probably why I have such a hard time understanding Berean's overblown rhetoric.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2003, 07:49:00 PM »

From SamB: And as I had thought, they are fanatical "Christian Zionists".  If they relegate Apostolic Palestinian Christians to subhuman status, then there is no wonder these folks will insult the Christianity of the Apostles with vile attacks.

SamB -

You hit the nail on the head with that comment!

That is one of my pet peeves and one of the reasons I find Dispensationalism so insidious. I have made the remark at CBBS before that if the Israelis blew up a church full of Palestinian Christians, the Fundies would cheer and start chatting about "the Chosen People."

There are a number of Palestinians at my Church and they are all my friends.

How can anyone imagine that the Jews are still "God's People"?

I am not anti-Semitic by any stretch of the imagination, but how could any people who deny the Lordship of Jesus Christ be considered the people of God?

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2003, 07:58:50 PM »

Amator Dei -

I like your ideas and I am willing to do all I can to help.

But I must confess that, when it comes to computers, I am little better than a complete ignoramus. I will need guidance.

I agree with you that it is absolutely essential that we take and maintain the high road in our efforts.

We must resist resist resist the urge to use name-calling, mockery, sarcasm, and reviling. The most difficult thing to avoid is sarcasm. I am afraid I slip into that very easily, sometimes even without noticing until it's too late.

If we humiliate these people (which is easy to do, since they do not know much) we will make inveterate enemies out of them, not win them to Christ and His Holy Church.

We must handle them like the very dear images of God that they are.

God does not hate them.

Neither should we.

God loves them.

So should we.

It should show. And I am very afraid it does not.

Oh Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2003, 09:47:54 PM »

Linus, I wouldn't worry too much about providing technological assistance.  That will take care of itself.  What is needed much more than that are articles on the Orthodox Faith to post on the site.  Orignal articles are preferable, but let me know if you know of any really good articles that should be on the site so I can contact the author and/or copyright holders.   Maybe you would care to write a "Guidelines of Orthodox Apologetics" article that states much of what you've already written in this tread?

BTW, I noticed that you had an icon for a avatar and after the new avatar size restrictions you're using one of the standard cartoon characters.  If you have a favorite icon you'd like to use for your avatar that doesn't meet the size restrictions, I'd be happy to scale it for you if you email the icon to me.  daveATtaoofdaveDOTcom.  

-Yazid Ibrahim
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2003, 10:01:45 PM »

Did you see Hunt's article, A Desperate Need for Correction, in the Perspectives section of his web site?

No, I haven't read it.  It's all I can do to keep up with the strawmen, and outright lies against Orthodoxy over on cbbs.  I really think berean is obsessed with his anti-Apostolic Christianity mindset.  I also think that you are dead on with us needing to remain focused and not fall into using sarcasm, mockery etc.  in our presentation of Orthodoxy.  These are fruits of the evil one and not of Christ which dwells in us.  Sadly, I too fall into those snares, and need to repent of it.

God be merciful to me, the sinner !
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2003, 01:38:04 AM »

Amator Dei -

I would love to write articles for the web site. Finding the time might be tough, but I will manage it somehow with God's help.

I have some icons on my own computer, but how do I use them on this site? I thought they had to be on the internet already.

Oblio -

You have not missed much if you don't read that article. It's just amazing how much influence it evidently had on Berean.

I have noticed that of late he is not posting as much as usual. Have you noticed that, too?

Perhaps his wife is getting tired of sharing him with CBBS.

There I can sympathize. My wife sometimes complains when I spend too much time at the PC. Nevertheless, she is an Orthodox Christian and has seen some of the good we've done, so she doesn't object too much.  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2003, 04:19:25 AM »

I noticed that he was becoming a bit more focused against orthodoxy. I'm sure the Catholics are breathing a sigh of relief.

John.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 04:19:57 AM by prodromos » Logged
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2003, 08:55:34 AM »

Linus,

As I mentioned in the Got Avatars? thread, I'm willing to resize and host any images online for OC.net members.  If you have an icon you want to use as an avatar, email me a copy dave@taoofdave.com and I will get it ready for you.  Since the maximum size for avatars is 200 by 200 pixels you probably don't want to choose something terribly large, or it might not be easy to see after resizing.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2003, 03:05:35 PM »

Amator Dei -

I will send you an icon for sizing as soon as I get a chance. Thanks.

Prodromos -

I have noticed his change in focus from anti-RCism to anti-Orthodoxy. The problem for him with that is that he doesn't really know that much about Orthodoxy, so he is reduced to complaining about our "idolatry" and the fact that our priests wear vestments and are called "father."

He also knows that the Orthodox Church has never run an Inquisition or slaughtered Protestants, so it's more difficult to claim she is "drunk with the blood of the saints."

Berean is apparently dependent for info on the Dave Hunt web site  Oblio brought to our attention, and that web site has nothing to say about the Orthodox Church, at least as far as I have seen.

It does have an arm called Reaching Catholics for Christ, though. Undoubtedly that is a ready source of mostly bogus anti-RC info, including the glorious color photos Berean is so fond of posting.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2003, 08:15:18 PM »

Have you guys experienced it yet?

The sort of depression I am feeling from trying to answer all the stuff over at CBBS?

I would really appreciate your prayers.

I even irritated my wife this afternoon by spending a large portion of it answering a post over there.

In the evenings I often work at my school (I am a teacher) supervising the Computer Lab, which gives me an opportunity to use the computer. This afternoon I spent time at home doing it, as well, and I should not have.

It was not worth it.

I think I will cut back on the time I spend on the computer at home.

Anyway, please pray for me. I would deeply appreciate it.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2003, 09:37:51 PM »

Dear Linus,

Just reading some of the posts there is enough to depress, frustrate, annoy, and anger me.  That is one reason why I've largely stayed away while you and the others do your thing there.  Hopefully I'll be able to put it all past me and help you guys out in any way I can, but for now, I find it very difficult.  For you to have done what you are doing now while keeping faithful is a testament to your life in Christ.  You're a better man than I; keep up the good work, and be assured of our prayers.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: