Author Topic: Catholic Searching for Truth  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Landon13

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Dallas
Catholic Searching for Truth
« on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
Hello all,

I am new here, and pretty new to Orthodoxy. For a long time, I had been searching in my life, growing up Protestant and eventually realizing that Catholicism had to be the true Church. But, now that I have delved pretty far into the Catholic Church, I can't stand how much modernism has corrupted her. Having to stand by a Pope who teaches blatant heresies is heartbreaking for me. This is why I started looking more into traditional Catholicism (FSSP and SSPX) and I still feel something missing since there are no trad Catholic parishes near me for hours.

So this is why I've been looking more into Orthodoxy. Just things are starting to really add up for me that Orthodoxy is right, but this all makes me nervous. Even when I've been studying the Bible, I've noticed many things that seem different about Catholic teaching especially regarding the primacy of St. Peter compared to the other apostles in the letters of St. Paul and the Acts of the Apostles.

But there are still many things holding me back. Like my firm belief in many of the Marian apparitions (Fatima, etc.,), or trying to understand the truth in church history, the belief in Purgatory versus toll houses, etc., etc,.

I'm sure many of you have been on a similar path to me. I have studied Orthodoxy for a while now, read some wonderful books about y'alls church (The Orthodox Church by Kallistos Ware was wonderful!) and looked into your beautiful and mystical spiritual life (I can't wait to make my own prayer corner with icons).

I just want to see if you all can give me any advice or tips to help me in this journey to see if Orthodoxy is right for me, and how to try and live Orthodoxy and get a feel for it before I can attend a Divine Liturgy (maybe next sunday or the following)

Thank you all and God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: Catholic Searching for Truth
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:27:48 PM »
From my little experience, book reading is great, but it will never replace experiencing God in His Church.  The sooner you're able to go to a Liturgy, the better.  You'll learn far more there than from dozens of books.  Contact a priest and get to know the local parish.

Best wishes to you.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
Hi, Landon. Welcome to the forum.

I grew up Roman Catholic. To make a long story short, I became Orthodox in September of 2013. Wasn't always easy, but I believe it was the right thing to do.

Best of luck to you also.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline underzealousconvert94

• BANNED as a duplicate account
  • All ye saints, pray to God for me a sinner.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:52:23 PM »
I was raised Catholic, but left the faith in my teens, only to have a conversion experience during the summer before college and return to Catholicism.  Like you though, the amount of modernism taught by the hierarchy and the liturgical crisis following Vatican II left me disillusioned, and from there I began to look eastward until I was official received into the Orthodox Church in June of last year.

My best advice for you would be to find a prayer book and start saying your morning and evening prayers in an Orthodox manner.  Also, you should get used to crossing yourself the Orthodox way.  Start keeping the fasts (this is the Paschal season, so no meat or dairy on Wed/Friday, but you can have fish).  Read the lives of some Orthodox saints as well.  If you keep searching, and keep an open mind while searching, everything will be resolved in the end.
All of our hope, we place in thee O Mother of God, do preserve us under thy shelter.

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »
Hello all,

I am new here, and pretty new to Orthodoxy. For a long time, I had been searching in my life, growing up Protestant and eventually realizing that Catholicism had to be the true Church. But, now that I have delved pretty far into the Catholic Church, I can't stand how much modernism has corrupted her. Having to stand by a Pope who teaches blatant heresies is heartbreaking for me. This is why I started looking more into traditional Catholicism (FSSP and SSPX) and I still feel something missing since there are no trad Catholic parishes near me for hours.

So this is why I've been looking more into Orthodoxy.

Non Orthodox here!

As I have read before here and a few other places do not let your distaste in so called modernism in the Catholic church fuel your desire to seek out the Orthodox church. Whilst the Orthodox Church has much tradition and history on her side and might be very appealing considering your background and what you chose to share with us, it is also very pragmatic, very non legalistic at least in my mind. In other words do not think by going and searching the Orthodox route you are going to get some superficial holier than thou appeasement. Take the Orthodox Church for what it is, what it teaches, the history the saints and theology it represents.

BTW I do think that Pope Francis is one of the better Popes the Catholic Church has had this side of the schism. So you may take my words with a grain of salt.  ;) 

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
Don't convert to Orthodoxy because it has a liturgy which is more to your fancy, but only convert if you genuinely believe the Orthodox faith to be true. To do otherwise would be to do a disservice to both Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:00:41 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Landon13

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
My desire to search out Orthodoxy does not come merely from liturgy or my dislike to some of the beliefs and practices of the Catholic Church. So, no it is not based solely on those issues. I am studying the truth and tradition in faith and in practice of the Orthodox Church not a church that has changed so much and I am tired of in the Catholic Church.

God bless

Offline Pravoslavac

• BANNED for rules violations
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
In most simple way to explain, Orthodox Church teaches what Rome used to teach before the schism in 1054. All different teachings between Orthodoxy and Roman-Catholicism were added by the Roman-Catholic Church after the 1054, even Filioque was officially added after 1054.
"Bullets comrades! Not candies! Bullets will save us from the US imperialists!" - Comrade Kim Jong Il

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:22:18 PM »
I was raised Catholic, but left the faith in my teens, only to have a conversion experience during the summer before college and return to Catholicism.  Like you though, the amount of modernism taught by the hierarchy and the liturgical crisis following Vatican II left me disillusioned, and from there I began to look eastward until I was official received into the Orthodox Church in June of last year.

My best advice for you would be to find a prayer book and start saying your morning and evening prayers in an Orthodox manner.  Also, you should get used to crossing yourself the Orthodox way.  Start keeping the fasts (this is the Paschal season, so no meat or dairy on Wed/Friday, but you can have fish). Read the lives of some Orthodox saints as well.  If you keep searching, and keep an open mind while searching, everything will be resolved in the end.

For the fasts, I recommend talking to your priest and becoming Orthodox first... don't observe the strict fasts on your own, unless you got your priest to help you.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »
Hello all,

Non Orthodox here!

As I have read before here and a few other places do not let your distaste in so called modernism in the Catholic church fuel your desire to seek out the Orthodox church. Whilst the Orthodox Church has much tradition and history on her side and might be very appealing considering your background and what you chose to share with us, it is also very pragmatic, very non legalistic at least in my mind. In other words do not think by going and searching the Orthodox route you are going to get some superficial holier than thou appeasement. Take the Orthodox Church for what it is, what it teaches, the history the saints and theology it represents.

BTW I do think that Pope Francis is one of the better Popes the Catholic Church has had this side of the schism. So you may take my words with a grain of salt.  ;)

Agreed. Don't become Orthodox just for the liturgy. There's modernism in the Orthodox Church too, it's not as pronounced as in Rome, but it doesn't mean that it isn't there.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:24:40 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Landon13

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
Hello all,

Non Orthodox here!

Agreed. Don't become Orthodox just for the liturgy. There's modernism in the Orthodox Church too, it's not as pronounced as in Rome, but it doesn't mean that it isn't there.

I of course would not hastily jump into conversion just for the liturgy or the tradition. If I am not totally into the faith and totally converted, I would not do it.

Thanks again

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »
In most simple way to explain, Orthodox Church teaches what Rome used to teach before the schism in 1054. All different teachings between Orthodoxy and Roman-Catholicism were added by the Roman-Catholic Church after the 1054, even Filioque was officially added after 1054.

That, and the Orthodox Church developed post-schism in a Byzantine, Middle Eastern and Slavic context. Whereas Rome developed, post-schism, in a mainly Latin context.

Offline Landon13

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »
Any good recommendations on practices to live the Orthodox life instead of merely studying it in books, etc.,???

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »
Any good recommendations on practices to live the Orthodox life instead of merely studying it in books, etc.,???

Hello Landon :)

Visiting Orthodox monasteries and talking with some of the elders and monks is a great way to learn about Christ's truth since they are very wise.

"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »
Prayer from the heart is also very important, and eventually when you have a spiritual father he will help you further with this. From ourselves, we can watch our hearts closely to see what separates it from Christ and Truth and say the prayer "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me". Orthodoxy calls us to not follow the world, but to follow the narrow path of Christ and so we will have struggles, but Christ is with us.

"As to the fatalism of those who believe that man must be a slave to the spirit of the age, it is disproved by the experience of every Christian worthy of the name, for the Christian life is nothing if it is not a struggle against the spirit of every age for the sake of eternity."
Father Seraphim Rose

“Snow can never emit flame. Water can never issue fire. A thorn bush can never produce a fig. Just so, your heart can never be free from oppressive thoughts, words, and actions until it has purified itself internally. Be eager to walk this path. Watch your heart always. Constantly say the prayer “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.” Be humble. Set your soul in quietness.”
St. Hesychius the Priest

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:58:09 PM by Alxandra »
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »

Find an Orthodox parish, talk to the priest, go to as many services as you can.

Oh, and the toll-house thing? It's not dogma.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:07:39 AM by katherineofdixie »
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »

Find an Orthodox parish, talk to the priest, go to as many services as you can.

Oh, and the toll-house thing? It's not dogma.

+1
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Laurentius

• Look at the birds of the air... (Mt 6:26)
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
Welcome!

I also have a traditional minded, Catholic background but I was baptized into Orthodoxy last year.

I suppose you could read "Two Paths" by Michael Whelton for example, but I agree that finding an "Orthodox mindset" is probably the most important thing to do. Visiting monasteries is a great idea!

Holy Mother of God, save us!