OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:00:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Coptic Orthodox Monastery NY  (Read 1807 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: June 20, 2005, 11:40:29 AM »

Hi, I know that there is a plot of land beside St. Mark's church of Rochester NY where a monastery for both men and women will be constructed. Of course the monks and nuns will have separate living and working quarters but they will pray together on Sundays as far as I know-(some Russian monasteries work this way).

So I was wondering what the plan is for this monastery? Like what will it be called and where can we donate money to? If a monastery is to exist at all, it should have the proper tools and infrastructures to work properly. Also, do any of you know when it is scheduled for it's construction?
-Timos                                                                         
Dimitrius

Orthodoxy is the way

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 02:54:26 AM »

Timo,

Where did you read that St Mark's Church in Rochester, NY  will have a monastery built next to it. The reason I ask is because I served in that church for over seven years until I moved out of Rochester in the mid 90's.

Personally, I highly doubt that a monastery will be built there, but only God knows.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 03:56:58 AM »

This may be what Timos was thinking of:

http://www.rochcopts.org/ShenoudaMonastery.php

I think there is also a monastery project going on in Conn.

http://www.saintmosestheblack.com/

A couple of weeks ago, I was at St. Antony Monastery in California, and was told that another Coptic monastery was being built in Texas. 

This is all great news.  Let's all hope and pray that the projects are all successful.  The good thing about the New York and Connecticut monasteries is that the summer weather will be better.  At St. Antony's, it was 107 degrees when I went there!

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 01:31:43 AM »

This must be the monastery in Texas:

http://abbey.suscopts.org/about/index.html

Timos
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 10:34:44 AM »

Wow, I never knew about the abbey being built in Texas but yes I was referring to the link provided for the Rochester one. Well my arabic speaking skills suck even more than Greek but I remember visiting St. Mark in Rochester- the people there are really kind- and the priest was saying in broken english and in arabic that there will be a new monastery right across the church where a huge plot of land is sitting. So now it looks like 3 Coptic monasteries will be built.

Thats great. I've never been to a Coptic monastery before. I've only been to Greek ones under Geronda Ephraim and the only Russian monastery I've been to was the St. John Maximovitch monastery in the hills of northern california

http://saintjohnwonderworker.org/

I also venerated his unblemished body at the Joy of All Who Sorrow Russian Cathedral in San Fran.
Addai

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 11:22:28 AM »

Hi, I know that there is a plot of land beside St. Mark's church of Rochester NY where a monastery for both men and women will be constructed. Of course the monks and nuns will have separate living and working quarters but they will pray together on Sundays as far as I know-(some Russian monasteries work this way).

So I was wondering what the plan is for this monastery? Like what will it be called and where can we donate money to? If a monastery is to exist at all, it should have the proper tools and infrastructures to work properly. Also, do any of you know when it is scheduled for it's construction?
-Timos  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚Â

Cool thx for the info!

Timos
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 02:36:32 PM »

np Addai
Tags: Coptic Monastery Monastery Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: