Author Topic: In your opinion do aliens exist?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
Re: In your opinion do aliens exist?
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »
Alien bacteria are what really scare me.  If there is an advanced civilization out there, we'll probably just rock them out with smallpox or the MD Device.  But bacteria or a virus, an alien pathogen would probably ruin us.

Someone needs to take away your Andromeda Strain viewing privileges.

Seriously though, it's highly unlikely we will encounter any kind of microbial life capable of feeding off of humans.  And all successful bacteria and virii evolve of necessity so as to not exterminate their host population.

Don't be baggin' on the Strain.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 02:34:22 PM »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:34:38 PM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »
Of course they exist!  They cross our borders in droves, sometimes even legally! ;D

Oh...you mean "extra-terrestrial" aliens?  I don't know, and I don't really care.  Some, like Fr. Seraphim Rose and others, think "they" (the e.t.'s) are demons/demonic.

Human aliens may also be demons, though that will probably get us into Politics.

Aliens (and demons) are legion in Politics. 8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:39:41 PM by J Michael »
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
My theological teacher say that aliens don't exist and that are demons.

Some "encounters" do seem to be demonic illusions while others seem to be purelly hallucinatory.

Even if they are demonic dellusions though, there might exist some planet somewhere where another civilization exists. As Johnathan Gress commented, if there are other civilizations in other star systems, it may well be that interstellar space travel or even communication is unfeasible.

A good argument for a Christian science fiction story, though, would be that when God said in Genesis:

"Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground —everything that has the breath of life in it —I give every green plant for food."

Genesis 1:28-30

He meant by "earth" all the physical universe. We would be the only intelligent creatures in this universe destined to multiply and control *all* planets, subdue all their natures terraforming all that could be terraformed. All the beasts and trees would mean every single species that is even to be born and created even by us.

It works with the "Beginning of History" scenario where we would have been born as a species as soon as cosmological conditions allowed it and we are actually the first ever intelligent species in the universe.

"Go and preach to all nations" would have to include all the trillions of human nations that are yet to be born on the hundreds of billions planets around the universe when we get there, meaning that much to apocalyptic preachers dismay, we are faaaar away from judgment day.
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
I like aliens that regenerate every few years.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 04:58:22 AM »
Alien bacteria are what really scare me.  If there is an advanced civilization out there, we'll probably just rock them out with smallpox or the MD Device.  But bacteria or a virus, an alien pathogen would probably ruin us.

That could be unfortunate.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 05:04:24 AM »
So someone strung out on LSD sees something novel in the California skies, like a B2, or in prior decades, say, an F-117 or even a B-58 Hustler, SR-71 or U2; and then, aided by demonic deceptions, imagines himself as per Fr. Serhim Rose carried aboard and subject to various tests of a sexual nature.  This then gets documented as a UFO encounter.

I swear on my grandfather's life I saw a flying basketball-sized object at 4:00AM driving home from a camping trip. It circled the car about two times they zipped off back into the sky. I wasn't high or drunk. So I wouldn't automatically dismiss UFO sightings as the product of stoners and idiots. But I wouldn't automatically credit it to demons or aliens either. Probably just military technology being tested or something. Dat Occam's Razor.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:06:09 AM by JamesR »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
So someone strung out on LSD sees something novel in the California skies, like a B2, or in prior decades, say, an F-117 or even a B-58 Hustler, SR-71 or U2; and then, aided by demonic deceptions, imagines himself as per Fr. Serhim Rose carried aboard and subject to various tests of a sexual nature.  This then gets documented as a UFO encounter.

I swear on my grandfather's life...

Can you stop?
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »

Can you stop?

If he did stop, OC.net might become boring.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »

Can you stop?

Look at you, encouraging dissipation and false oaths.  Go on with your bad self, girl! 

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »

Can you stop?

Look at you, encouraging dissipation and false oaths.  Go on with your bad self, girl!
Next, she'll be getting a tattoo of Monsanto on some unmentionable.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »

Can you stop?

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »
I will not return the attack.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
« Reply #58 on: Today at 01:12:23 PM »

You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2015, 04:19:25 PM »

Your point?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2015, 04:24:02 PM »

This again? ::)
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
In your opinion, does this thread exist?  ???
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2015, 04:34:27 PM »

Can you stop?

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2015, 05:20:30 PM »

Your point?

Probably the tip of the finger.
Learn meditation.