Author Topic: Science Can Now Spot Trolls After Just Five Horrible Malicious Comments  (Read 806 times)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Fun read:

People aren’t very nice to each other online. Everyone has read a comment thread and been annoyed at the vicious remarks, or witnessed a flame war under a YouTube video. Many online communities now have moderators, and they aim to ban trolls—those people who just who can’t stay civil.

But can you identify trolls before they ruin a community? Researchers from Stanford and Cornell think they can (pdf), after analyzing 18 months worth of Disqus threads from the news site CNN, the right-wing political site Breitbart, and the gaming site IGN. That amounted to 1.7 million users, almost 40 million comments, and 100 million up- or down-votes on those comments.

The rest of this article can be read here:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/science-can-now-spot-trolls-after-just-five-horrible-malicious-comments/ar-AAbjwwa
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Interesting thing for them to study. Altho I wonder if humans can't recognize a common troll after about one post.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Yes, they have an avatar with a silly grin or no avatar at all, true?
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
Interesting thing for them to study. Altho I wonder if humans can't recognize a common troll after about one post.

I'm guessing the point is to automate the process and not have to use human moderators, with their unreasonable need for time and money.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
Using that, they developed an algorithm that can look at those factors and determine with 80% accuracy whether the troll will be banned in the future based on the content of their first five posts. The most powerful predictor is the reaction to (and deletion of) posts by moderators—but even without manual labeling, the algorithm still works with 79% accuracy.

They have spent money and effort to find out that if a person gets moderated even in their very first posts he/she will probably get banned?

It's like creating a robot to tell you the guy who picks up a fight right when he enters the bar will probably be kicked out... :)
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos

I'm guessing the point is to automate the process and not have to use human moderators, with their unreasonable need for time and money.

Ha, you couldn't pay me enough to do what Peter the Aleut, Mor, and the gracious others do around here.....like herding cats..........or being a priest with a bunch of whiny, spoiled, disgruntled brats for a congregation.....but if they unionize, then the 'bots will be brought in, so the'll have to find a bunch of other misfits to quell, maybe go into gov't service. Imagine Mor ringing your doorbell saying, "Hi, I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help you".
Shotgun time!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:21:53 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Using that, they developed an algorithm that can look at those factors and determine with 80% accuracy whether the troll will be banned in the future based on the content of their first five posts. The most powerful predictor is the reaction to (and deletion of) posts by moderators—but even without manual labeling, the algorithm still works with 79% accuracy.

They have spent money and effort to find out that if a person gets moderated even in their very first posts he/she will probably get banned?

It's like creating a robot to tell you the guy who picks up a fight right when he enters the bar will probably be kicked out... :)

Next time in Brazil, we'll go out, I'll buy you a drink.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa

Deal. It shall be in the Ukrainian Baran Bar, and the drink will the be the "Ucranian Fracture", a caipirinha made with vodka, campari and limes.

Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos

Deal. It shall be in the Ukrainian Baran Bar, and the drink will the be the "Ucranian Fracture", a caipirinha made with vodka, campari and limes.

Wouldn't that be a caipiroshka instead?

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
Wouldn't that be a caipiroshka instead?

Got me.... ;)