OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 08:07:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crucifixion of an Orthodox nun? Is this true?  (Read 2569 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: June 19, 2005, 01:54:56 AM »

June 18 2005 at 02:46PM

By Laura Chiriac

Tanacu, Romania - A Romanian Orthodox priest who ordered the crucifixion of a young nun because she was "possessed by the devil" and now faces murder charges was unrepentant on Saturday as he celebrated a funeral mass for his alleged victim.

"God has performed a miracle for her, finally Irina is delivered from evil," Father Daniel, 29, the superior of the Holy Trinity monastery in north-eastern Romania, said before celebrating a short mass "for the soul of the deceased", in the presence of 13 nuns who showed no visible emotion.

He insisted that from the religious point of view, the crucifixion of Maricica Irina Cornici, 23, was "entirely justified", but admitted that he faced excommunication as well as prosecution, and was seeking a "good lawyer".

For rest of story, see ...

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw1119098341918B265
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 01:55:42 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SeanMc

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 01:59:52 AM »

It was on the BBC, so it's probably true.

But hey, insanity happens in everyone, even priests.
larsong
Greta

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 02:00:33 AM »

This was also on the BBC news:

** Crucified nun dies in 'exorcism' **
A nun dies after being left bound to a cross for three days by convent
members who say she was possessed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/europe/4107524.stm

Greta Larson
web master and co-founder of www.pokrov.org
moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 02:02:17 AM »

It seems to be true.  My local newscast mentioned it tonight and you can go to news.google.com to search for more coverage.  My local newscast mentioned that the woman had been suffering from schizophrenia and that she died during an exorcism ritual.
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 09:14:58 AM »

I know monastics are said to be regular people, but, does anyone else feel sort of an extra sadness when a nun, monk, or clergy member is killed?   Sad

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Sir Sundae

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 11:20:30 AM »

That's insane.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw1119098341918B265

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4107524.stm

http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com/

"God has performed a miracle for her, finally Irina is delivered from evil," AFP quoted the priest as saying.

"I don't understand why journalists are making such a fuss about this. Exorcism is a common practise in the heart of the Romanian Orthodox church and my methods are not at all unknown to other priests," Father Daniel added.

That's scary...

--Chuck

Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain:

"Let us not expect the spiritual spring if we don't first pass through the spiritual winter during which the spiritual vermin die.  We mustn't expect the divine to blossom within us if the human hasn't first died."
larsong
Greta

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 12:36:47 PM »

I know monastics are said to be regular people, but, does anyone else feel sort of an extra sadness when a nun, monk, or clergy member is killed?  ÃƒÆ’‚ Sad

I feel extra saddness when a nun, monk, or clergy member kills.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 12:37:23 PM by larsong » Logged

Greta Larson
web master and co-founder of www.pokrov.org
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 01:26:26 PM »

I feel extra saddness when a nun, monk, or clergy member kills.

I feel equal sadness for all involved.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 01:41:15 PM »

How sad! What a terrible tragedy! Imagine the potential for good that that nun had if she had received proper medical attention. I have many questions about this, as I am sure most of us do.  Did the bishop give the priest permission to perform this exorcism? Was the bishop aware of the harsh measures being used against this nun? If this nun had schizophrenia, why were medicial authorities not dispatched to the monastery to diagnose her and why also did they not tell the priest that this was a brain disorder and not demons that were causing her to act this way.  I cannot imagine the suffering this poor nun went thru, being punished for something that was not her fault and that she had no control over. For all involved: Lord, have mercy.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 06:09:51 PM »

If this nutcase believed that "God performed a miracle for her" and "freed her", then why wouldn't he allow her coffin in the Church for her funeral?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 08:01:34 PM »

Even if that poor nun was indeed possessed by the devil, she clearly seemed not to be the only one.

Lord, have mercy.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 08:02:37 PM by Felipe Ortiz » Logged
coolebaneseboy
Tiger Bach

this is me tiger

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 12:57:40 AM »

hey, i was shocked when i read the toppic, does anybody have some extra information, pictures, recordable videos, or anything else, coz it is really wiered.... and do we have the right to judge the others especially by death....

the tiger
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 05:13:38 AM »

The priest is quite right that exorcisms are normal in Romanian Orthodoxy, but I have never seen any that involve abuse such as this. I refer you to my post on this subject here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6451.from1119257202;topicseen#msg83864

I should think, from my own experience of superstitious Romanians and such beliefs that even if the nun were schizophrenic the actual charge of possession is more likely to have been levelled due to some personal feud. There are bad apples in every church and, to my shame, my jurisdiction is not exempt from this.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 05:16:23 AM »

Do not feel down for it James. Satan will use his where ever and whoever they are. I do not think anyone heterodox can say anything.
And yes, bad apples are always there, and always will be... until the end.

All we can do is pray that we are not them.

Lord have mercy.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 10:59:29 AM »

Wow, this is the worst thing I've read in a while.  Lord have mercy.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
monmim

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 04:12:20 AM »

It seems to be true.ÂÂ  My local newscast mentioned it tonight and you can go to news.google.com to search for more coverage.ÂÂ  My local newscast mentioned that the woman had been suffering from schizophrenia and that she died during an exorcism ritual.
in christian exorcism, it is interesting to know who draws the line between psychological problems and the state of being possessed!.  and I need your opinion on this one.

Thanks
monmim

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 04:17:22 AM »

Quote from: moronikos on June 19, 2005, 02:02:17 AM
It seems to be true.  My local newscast mentioned it tonight and you can go to news.google.com to search for more coverage.  My local newscast mentioned that the woman had been suffering from schizophrenia and that she died during an exorcism ritual.

in christian exorcism, it is interesting to know who draws the line between psychological problems and the state of being possessed!.  and I need your opinion on this one.

Thanks
eleni

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 05:45:14 AM »

Please read the article about this unfortuante event...

Quote/// A TRAGEDY IN ROMANIA

The story of an exorcism in Romania, performed by a young priest and leading to the death of a nun with a history of schizophrenia, has been widely reported.
 Nowhere more than in Romania itself, where it has especially gripped the media.

The first fact which attracted my attention,
 as an Orthodox priest, was that the priest had been ordained uncanonically — he was still under the age of thirty.

The second thing to wonder at is the abysmal lack of practical,
 pastoral training or advice which the priest should have received in seminary.
Is this something lacking at the seminary at which this man was prepared for the priesthood?
 Why did the young priest not know the elementary fact that not all mental illness is to do with demonic obsession or possession?
 Why had he not received experience in a larger church as a deacon,
 and then as a second or third priest?
 Why was an older and more experienced priest not involved?
 Why had the diocesan bishop not been informed of this exorcism?
 Had the nun herself first asked to be exorcised?
 So many unanswered questions.........

read the rest in the link provided...
http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/tragroma.htm

Have mercy on me a sinner
IX
helen

A Prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished.
-Proverbs27:12-
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print