OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 04:50:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Bible Verses or Inspirational Verses of the Day  (Read 6539 times) Average Rating: 0
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« on: June 19, 2005, 12:25:26 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Hello Everyone,

This thread is for everyone to post his or her favourite Bible verses or inspirational verses for each day of the week.

Hopefully, we can all try and post our favourite verses everyday or whenever it is possible to do so, and everyone is highly encouraged to participate in this daily posting of favourite verses.

Here is one of my personal all time favourite verses:

"Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart."

-- Jeremiah 29:12-13

Prayers please.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
mathetes

Faith: Believer
Jurisdiction: MJAA

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 02:31:40 AM »

A passage that lately has meant much to me is Zechariah 4: 9, 10:

"The hands of Zerubbabel
Have laid the foundation of this temple;
His hands shall also finish it.
Then you will know
That the LORD of hosts has sent Me to you.
For who has despised the day of small things?
For these seven rejoice to see
The plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel.
They are eyes of the LORD,
Which scan to and fro throughout the whole earth" (NKJV).

Being a layman, I find myself doing small stuff, stuff no one would consider news worthy.  It's tempting to despise it, but the passage tells me that God delights in small things faithfully done and ensures that they will add up until the overall work is completed to His honor and glory.

In construction, two events stand out: the ground-breaking ceremony (usually attended by dignitaries), and the ribbon-cutting ceremony (also attended by dignitaries).  But were there no dedicated workers to take care of the small things in between, the building would never be finished.

In Christ,
Mathetes

"Iron sharpens iron, and a man sharpens the countenance of his friend" (Proverbs 27:17 OSB).

"The future isn't what it used to be" (Yogi Berra).
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 11:04:42 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

"I do not possess anything! Do I possess even this body that you see? No, it was lent to me by God when I was born, and He will take it back when I die."

--Saint John Chrysostom

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 11:50:28 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

You do not have, because you do not ask God.
-- James 4:2

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 12:00:29 AM »

Luke 23:43 and 1 Corinthians 13

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
MBZ

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 04:31:34 AM »

Hi all!

Tucked away in Exodus 2:23 is a marvelous message that attests to the sure mercies of God. I can say that it certainly has meant a lot to me and that it helped me during a particularly difficult period in my life. Exodus 2:23 says:

...and they [the children of Israel] cried, and their cry came up unto God...and God heard their groaning...and God took cognizance of them.

Note that while it says that, "their cry came up unto God," it does not say that they cried to Him; the text simply says that, "they cried." Generations of the mind- and soul-numbing drudgery of slavery had long since drummed any God-consciousness out of the children of Israel. They didn't cry to God because, after generations of bondage, they had no idea who He was or that He even existed at all. Their cry was a raw, wanton cry, like that of an animal in pain, out of sheer misery. Yet for all that, as the text tells us, "their cry came up unto God," and He heard them. How many times in our generation, now, have we seen people, who have been raised with very little, if any, God-consciousness, in their lives and/or who have it drummed out of them by the mind- and soul-numbing emptiness of Western materialism (or Eastern communism?), cry out, a raw, wanton cry, out of sheer misery and unhappiness, not crying to Anyone in particular because they have no idea that Anyone is listening or that Anyone cares. Yet for all that, there is Someone listening, and He cares and He takes cognizance.  Smiley

Be well!

MBZ

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 04:42:35 AM »

Uffff hard one....

This time arround I will go for:

Romans 8, 38-39.

Lord have mercy.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 11:11:23 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

-- Philippians 4:6-7

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
SeanMc

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 11:24:02 PM »

Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

That's a good one, I remember it because Purcell composed a piece for Evening Prayer using that, except the text was slightly different (I memorized it from the song): "Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds, through Jesus Christ our Lord." Did you get yours from the NKJV?
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 11:51:27 PM »

Yeah Sean, it is from the NKJV.  Grin

God bless.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 11:18:49 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.
-- Luke 9:24

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 06:48:59 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

-- Matthew 7:7

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 09:21:53 PM »

"For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother's womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it."

Matthew 19:12

I think this verse is important for many in America who just assume that they MUST marry and have children.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 12:16:44 AM »

Ezekiel 25:17. Wink

No, Really, Psalm 50, and the last words of Christ in the Gospel of Matthew......if memory serves me well.

"I will be with you always, even unto the end of time." Matthew 28:19-21

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 01:39:59 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

"I do not possess anything! Do I possess even this body that you see? No, it was lent to me by God when I was born, and He will take it back when I die."

--Saint John Chrysostom

Could anyone explain this to me? This quotation by Chrysostom could also be used by a Pastor at a Mega Church to their flock.The simple quote that was given, can be digressed in a way that people would think we are only using our bodies for this temporal worldly use, and not forever in the eternal. And that partaking in Godly life in the after life is much more specspectacularhout our bodies ( like costumes). But our bodies are created in intention of God's design which leads me to this question:  How important is it for explaining interpretations of a preceding Church Father to an original Church Fathers sayings like St. John to have it's original intent.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2005, 12:35:00 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

I believe you should view St. John Chrysostom's quote in light of the following verses:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.  All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.  Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them.  Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.  And God both raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power.  Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot?  Certainly not!  Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her?  For "the two" He says, "shall become one flesh."  But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.  Flee sexual immorality.  Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.  Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in you body and in your spirit, which are God's.
-- 1 Corinthians 6:12-20

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2005, 12:50:16 AM »

"And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil." - Luke 7:37-38
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 12:51:00 AM by Paradosis » Logged
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2005, 01:14:49 AM »

To Ephesians III,10. (ONT):

"in order that now the much-variegated wisdom of God might be made known to prinicipalities and to the authorities in the heavenlies through the Church"

(The authority od the Church though which the wisdom of God is declared to all and everywhere, even noetic creatures).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 01:15:29 AM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2005, 10:44:53 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, For he will despise the wisdom of your words.
-- Proverb 23:9

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 11:41:40 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
-- Hebrews 6:4-6

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
beewolf

In Thy Light we see Light

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 03:43:02 AM »

growth in the Christian life can be defined largely in terms of growth in prayer.

In prayer we begin to see ourselves as God sees us.....In prayer we acknowledge that we are not in control. This is simply acknowledging a basic fact of our existence. Not to pray is to take destiny into our own hands, to falsify our true self as dependent creatures and to deny God as the Sovereign One.

S. Chan

Gospodi pomiluy
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 11:12:51 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

"Your name, O Mary, is a precious ointment, which breathes forth the odor of Divine Grace. Let this ointment of salvation enter the innermost recesses of our Soul."
-- Saint Ambrose

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2005, 10:39:48 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Keep the charge of the Lord your God: to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His judgments, and His testimonies, as it is written in the Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn.

-- 1 Kings 2:3

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2005, 11:47:25 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us. It is in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

-- Nelson Mandela

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 12:10:49 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Come now, and let us reason together, says the Lord; though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow: though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.
-- Isaiah 1:18

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 11:29:42 AM »

"For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words."
~ 1 Thess. 4:16-18

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 11:25:58 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me.
-- Proverb 8:17

Prayers please

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 10:58:06 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

-- 1 Corinthians 15:58

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2005, 10:40:05 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

The words of the Lord are pure words, Like silver tried in a furnace of earth, Purified seven times. You shall keep them, O Lord, You shall preserve them from this generation forever.
-- Psalm 12:6,7

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 07:35:41 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

-- 1 John 3:1

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2005, 11:54:06 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Without prayer, man loses the meaning of his existence and the purpose of his creation.

-- Father Matthew the Poor

Prayers please.

(Woo hoo!  First milestone... 100 posts.   Cheesy)

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2005, 11:47:38 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the author of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

-- Hebrews 2:10

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2005, 10:53:28 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 11:18:32 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

When I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?
-- Psalm 56:3-4

Prayers please.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
djrak

"Do not put out the Spirit's fire" - 1 Thess 5:19

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2005, 03:03:10 AM »

I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me;
I was found by those who did not seek me.
To a nation that did not call on my name,
I said, 'Here am I, here am I.'

All day long I have held out my hands
to an obstinate people,
who walk in ways not good,
pursuing their own imaginations

ISAIAH 65:1-2

"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" - John 14:9
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2005, 12:37:33 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot

No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.
-- C.S. Lewis

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »

Put on all the armor that God gives, so you can defend yourself against the devil's tricks. We are not fighting against humans. We are fighting against forces and authorities and against rulers of darkness and powers in the spiritual world.
Ephesians 6:11-12

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »

My favorite verse of all time John 11:35 "Jesus wept"

To me this is a very powerful verse that shows the humanity and divinity of Christ. First of all, Jesus is crying because one of his friends died - very human of Him. Second, Jesus is crying because one of his friends died - this shows a great care for all of humanity by our Divine Creator, that God should shed a tear for a human is quite awe inspiring.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »

A truly good friend
will openly correct you.
You can trust a friend
who corrects you,
but kisses from an enemy
are nothing but lies.
  Pro. 27:5-6

He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »

Acts 8:39
After they had come out of the water, the Lord's Spirit took Philip away. The official never saw him again, but he was very happy as he went on his way.

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »

Psa. 71:17
You have taught me

since I was a child,

and I never stop telling about

your marvelous deeds.

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »

Matthew 6:24
No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »

Daniel 1:8
But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank. Therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »

Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth! For the Lord has spoken: I have nourished and brought up sons and have made them great and exalted, but they have rebelled against Me and broken away from Me.
The ox [instinctively] knows his owner, and the donkey his master's crib, but Israel does not know or recognize Me [as Lord], My people do not consider or understand.
Isa. 1:2-3

Elijah
Elder

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 06:12:12 PM »

Jesus called together his twelve disciples. He gave them the power to force out evil spirits and to heal every kind of disease and sickness.
Mat. 10:1

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: