Author Topic: The 'Nothing New Under the Sun' Thread  (Read 1955 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: The 'Nothing New Under the Sun' Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
Going to church for all the wrong reasons

"But first listen to what you say in the Psalm, 'Let my prayer be set forth in Your sight as incense.' When then not incense, but a stinking smoke arises from you, and from your deeds, what punishment do you not deserve to undergo? What then is the stinking smoke? Many come in gazing about at the beauty of women; others curious about the blooming youth of boys." (St. John Chrysostom, Homily 73 on Matthew)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »
Incredibly vague, fortune cookie-style oracles.

https://www.livescience.com/49673-newfound-ancient-gospel-deciphered.html

Coming soon to bookstores with the title, "The Christian I Ching". You heard it here first.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 12:37:24 AM »
Popular media building up a false sense of reality or expectation, thereby causing problems in how we perceive and interact with each other:

"For the one returns from the theatre, enfettered by the sight of the women there, bearing about chains harder than any iron, the scenes, the words, the gestures, that he saw there... he will look upon his wife with more dislike, he will be peevish with his servants, bitter towards his children, and savage towards all." (St. John Chrysostom, Homily 42 on Acts)

Marrying for the money:

"Who, when about to marry, inquires about the disposition and nurture of the damsel? No one; but straightway about money, and possessions, and measures of property of various and different kinds; like as if he were about to buy something, or to settle some common contract. Therefore they do even so call marriage. For I have heard many say, such a man has contracted with such a woman, that is, has married. And they offer insult to the gifts of God, and as though buying and selling, so do they marry, and are given in marriage. And writings there are, requiring greater security than those about buying and selling." (St. John Chrysostom, Homily 73 on Matthew)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2017, 03:46:36 AM »
Not an ancient quote, but it's an idea that has been put forward since time immemorial: that the younger generation is rude/lazy/dumb/etc.

"All I did was to perform a common act of courtesy. She was extremely grateful, thanked me warmly, and said something about my manners not being those of most of the younger generation..." - Agatha Christie, The Witness for the Prosecution (published in 1925)

Or as another author put it...

Speaking of manners and addressing others, I read this line tonight: "In those days little boys were courteous." Steinbeck wrote that--implying that little boys were no longer courteous--in 1945.  "Those days" refers to a story set in 1885.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2017, 06:47:48 AM »
Incredibly vague, fortune cookie-style oracles.

https://www.livescience.com/49673-newfound-ancient-gospel-deciphered.html

Coming soon to bookstores with the title, "The Christian I Ching". You heard it here first.

Yeah, you're probably right lol...
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things