Author Topic: Married bishops and the wives of the Apostles  (Read 788 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Married bishops and the wives of the Apostles
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:33:03 PM »
There is a radical Old Believer argument that the Church has never truly had married bishops (thus it is not a true example of the Church altering a Tradition) since bishops were always obliged to either leave their wives or else live with them "as brother and sister" following their consecration.

They partially support this by claiming the Fathers translated 1 Corinthians 9:5 as "take along a believing sister or other relative" instead of "wife."

Is there any support for either of these claims? I know there is a canon about bishops not putting away their wives, but I'm not sure how it would relate.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:33:20 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Married bishops and the wives of the Apostles
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »
There is a radical Old Believer argument that the Church has never truly had married bishops (thus it is not a true example of the Church altering a Tradition) since bishops were always obliged to either leave their wives or else live with them "as brother and sister" following their consecration.

They partially support this by claiming the Fathers translated 1 Corinthians 9:5 as "take along a believing sister or other relative" instead of "wife."

Is there any support for either of these claims? I know there is a canon about bishops not putting away their wives, but I'm not sure how it would relate.
No. Btw, the Vatican makes similar claims.

Eusebius, for example, quotes Clement of Alexandria on St. Peter encouraging his wife at her martyrdom.

And in the verse, the word gynaika indicates "wife." It doesn't mean "other relative."
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39:29 PM »
"Spiritual" (unconsummated) marriages were relatively common in the early church, which is quite a far cry from the modern Vatican's teachings (which seem to be that a marriage isn't a marriage unless it's consummated, and the Vatican even put out a pamphlet recently called It's A Sin Not To Do It!).

I've heard some people claim that Peter's marriage (at least after his calling) was of this nature. I'm not sure if this was true or not, though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:39:39 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:41:53 PM »
"Spiritual" (unconsummated) marriages were relatively common in the early church, which is quite a far cry from the modern Vatican's teachings (which seem to be that a marriage isn't a marriage unless it's consummated, and the Vatican even put out a pamphlet recently called It's A Sin Not To Do It!).

I've heard some people claim that Peter's marriage (at least after his calling) was of this nature. I'm not sure if this was true or not, though.
since there is a tradition of a daughter, evidently not.

Unconsummated marriages weren't as common as monastic literature would have it.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »

They did?!  LOL. 

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »
I remember reading something about St. Peter's wife's martyrdom, actually.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.