OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 01:29:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bono shocked by Muslim women's reaction to breastfeeding  (Read 2802 times) Average Rating: 0
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« on: June 18, 2005, 12:42:22 AM »

I saw this story and had to laugh!
http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=146367920&p=y463686z6&n=146368680&x=&fs=2

BreakingNews/© Thomas Crosbie Media, 18 June 2005.
15/06/2005 - 17:35:52

Short EXCERPT:

U2 frontman Bono was horrified during a visit to Ethiopia, when he saw local women pelting a breast-feeding aid worker with stones.

<snip>

Bono recalls:......."One of the women was breast-feeding a child on the horse. She was so comfortable. She didn't mean to be insensitive.

"But the Muslim women did not like this and came out and started throwing stones at her because she was showing her breasts."

<snip>

Wait till he sees the men's reaction.... Grin Welcome to the real world, Bonehead! Not exactly what you had planned for one of your well-publicized "Hey, I'm a Star and I care," photo ops, is it? It's funny how liberals are always 'shocked' while Islam continues its march to the stone-age. How ironic... Roll Eyes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 02:06:38 AM by Nacho » Logged

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 12:54:22 AM »

If your are aware of a woman that will breast feed her baby whilst riding the horse in a moslem country, please make her aware of our products.

www.breastfeedingarmourforwomenonhorsesinmoslemcountries.com

Please check out just two from our wide range of quality products.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 01:00:20 AM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 01:52:20 AM »

"its march"-- Not "it's march"! Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 02:09:16 AM »

"its march"-- Not "it's march"!

Hehe....I feel like an idiot lol... Cheesy  I need to go back to school or somethin'.... Cheesy

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Michael

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 12:28:41 PM »

What a nonsensical reaction of those women!

This woman, by all accounts, was not setting out to offend anybody - she was merely feeding her hungry child.  Is this such a bad thing?  Babies, unlike adults, are not able to endure feelings of discomfort such as hunger for extended periods, and their developing bodies and minds are more likely to suffer negative effects from hunger than those of fully-developed adults.

These women reacted by pelting the woman with stones, while she was still holding the baby!  This isn't religion: this is simply evil.

Seeing something that you find offensive is not the same as hearing something that you find offensive.  If somebody is behind you on the bus, using offensive language, then you have a right to be offended, because you cannot prevent the travel of the sound.  However, if you see msomething that you find iffensive, and you continue to be offended, then it can only be bacsue you have continued to look at it, in which case you have nobody to blame but yourself.

For these women to see something that they found offensive and then for them to have reacted in this manner smacks of nothing but stupidity and I find it utterly disgusting.  May God have mercy on them and me, because I am finding it extremely difficult to comprehend how people can be so nasty to one another.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 02:53:33 PM »

This isn't religion: this is simply evil.

That's a good way to sum up the History, Theology, and Praxis of islam.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 03:02:17 PM »

What a nonsensical reaction of those women!  How culturally insenstive!  Who? The Lib woman on the horse, of course.

My mother never breast fed me in public, but then she had not been reared on Dr Spock. I would have been very embarassed... Tongue

It's unfortunate that they threw stones at her but she is very lucky they did not decapitate her.  I wonder whether she was chewing gum at the same time.  Bad Moslems, dumb Americans.

Once Elder Joasaph saw in a dream a pond with strange birds hovering over it.  Who are you? he asked: We are western ideas.  Why are you here in Russia? To entice the people and to cause spiritual confusion.   J was an Optina elder who reposed in 1976.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Michael

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 03:11:23 PM »

That's a good way to sum up the History, Theology, and Praxis of islam.

And the history, theology and praxis of Islam teach that it is right to stone a mother holding her baby, do they?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 03:11:55 PM by Michael » Logged
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 10:50:16 PM »

And the history, theology and praxis of Islam teach that it is right to stone a mother holding her baby, do they?

No, they do not. There is NOTHING whatsoever in Islamic law that would call for stoning a mother feeding her baby. These women's actions have nothing to do with Islam, and everything to do with culture.
Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 08:41:46 AM »

No, they do not. There is NOTHING whatsoever in Islamic law that would call for stoning a mother feeding her baby. These women's actions have nothing to do with Islam, and everything to do with culture.

Thank you, Beayf.  I didn't think it was religious, hence my comment.  May God have mercy on these people!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 09:14:08 AM »

Aside from the cruel punishment inflicted by the local women, I have a (possibly stupid) question:
Why would any mother choose to breastfeed on a horse?
I know Ethiopia is a poor country, but surely there must have been something else to sit on....like a discrete tree stump or the ground?
One would presume the horse was stationary.
So why, in the middle of a village or refugee camp would you mount a horse to breastfeed?
You might as well have a huge, flashing sign with an arrow pointing to you saying: "Look at me! My breast is out and I'm breastfeeding!"
And being a country lad, I think a horse is a little less predictable than a tree stump or the ground; and she couldn't have been holding the both reins and the baby firmly enough to control the horse....
...and if the horse was tied, this is even more strange.....
If there was nothing more predictable to sit on, I would even excuse buying IKEA furnature in this instance! Wink
You'd think IKEA would have spotted the gap in the market for reasonably priced, non-equine furnature in Ethiopia.... Wink
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 09:48:13 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Michael

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005, 09:59:56 AM »

My guess would be that she perhaps didn't mount the horse for the specific purpose of breastfeeding, but that she was already on the horse when her baby began to cry.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 01:59:57 PM »

Here is another article on Bono

"BONO 'RISKING HIS CREDIBILITY'

BONO has been attacked by his rock peers for associating with US President GEORGE W BUSH and British Prime Minister TONY BLAIR.

The U2 rocker recently admitted friction has been sparked within the band since his transformation from rock star to anti-poverty campaigner.

But fellow musicians are concerned Bono is taking his desire to make a global difference too far.

Fellow Irish star SINEAD O'CONNOR says, "I think you risk losing your credibility by going to a party at Downing Street.

"I would draw a line at drinking wine and eating cheese with the Prime Minister."

Meanwhile, songwriter BILLY BRAGG says, "Bono is prepared to sit down and talk directly with George Bush in his territory.

"He has put his credibility on the line."

But U2 guitarist THE EDGE is tight-lipped about tensions within the VERTIGO group.

He says, "I think he's doing a fantastic job but I do not have the time. I am too busy in the studio recording."
17/06/2005 17:32"

Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 06:01:58 PM »

My guess would be that she perhaps didn't mount the horse for the specific purpose of breastfeeding, but that she was already on the horse when her baby began to cry.
...and her jodpurs were glued to the saddle...? Undecided

Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 06:08:14 PM »

Maybe we could elect Bono to be the first Prime Minister of the world.... Wink 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 06:08:59 PM by Nacho » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2005, 06:12:28 PM »

Maybe we could elect Bono to be the first Prime Minister of the world.... WinkÂÂ  
My vote goes for the breastfeeding horsewoman. She Can not only manage impossible situations, she is also prepared to take risks.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2005, 06:14:27 PM »

My vote goes for the breastfeeding horsewoman. She Can not only manage impossible situations, she is also prepared to take risks.
On second thought, how can she find answers to the world's problems when she can't even find any furnature?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 06:15:24 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2005, 08:31:15 PM »

Fellow Irish star SINEAD O'CONNOR says, "I think you risk losing your credibility by going to a party at Downing Street.
[/b]

Riiiiiiight..... Roll Eyes Sinead we all know how credible you are, especially after ripping up a picture of the Pope on live TV. Seeing how respected you are, Bono should definitely take your advice. I guess the 'diversity' crowd doesn't believe you should work with some of the most Democratic leaders to help with some of the world's problems, and after all these years of them ranting & raving about politicans not doing enough in Africa. I have to at least give Bono some credit with taking the time to have dialogue with different political leaders about some of these issues.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 08:33:41 PM by Nacho » Logged

sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2005, 10:15:02 PM »

I do not think that S. O'Connor did a bad thing ripping up Latin pope's picture on TV, why not?
Who is he for me to worry about his picture?

As far as I am concerned when it come to former pope and his blessing of Stepinac (Croatian Nazi Cardinal who blessed murder of 750.000 Serbs and forcible conversion of many more-what todays Croats consider to be Stepinacs "act of saving the Serbs"), pope's picture means to me as much as Ayatollah Chomeini's given that both of them kissed the Kuran on regular occasions (actually, Ayatollah never done anything against me so, instead of his name I will put Stepinac's-which then changes "the kissing thing" because of these two, only pope kissed the Kuran).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 11:22:26 PM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2005, 11:52:56 PM »

Sinead we all know how credible you are, especially after ripping up a picture of the Pope on live TV.

Unfortunately, the reflexive outrage over Sinead's act overshadowed the reason she tore the picture in the first place, which was to call attention to the cover-up by the hierarchy of sexual abuse by clergy, which abuse and cover-up I am sure we are all familiar with by now, since it has exploded in the Catholics' face.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 09:18:15 AM »

Everyone with any sense KNOWS Bono is THE Anti-Christ. How else to explain his popularity? For a while there I thought it was Sting! Or Elvis Costello (what was HE about?)
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »

Everyone with any sense KNOWS Bono is THE Anti-Christ. How else to explain his popularity? For a while there I thought it was Sting! Or Elvis Costello (what was HE about?)

O.K...

I am senseless.

Lord have mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: