OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 10:34:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prayer for humility  (Read 1818 times) Average Rating: 0
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: June 17, 2005, 11:05:28 PM »

does anyone know any Orthodox prayers for humility? i am looking for something longer than the Jesus prayer or the prayer of the publican (God, be merciful to me, a sinner) or the prayer of St. Ephraim, if possible. thanx!

In Christ,
Donna Mary

hmmmm...
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 11:29:57 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

I came across this while I was reading The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks, I hope it helps:

Some demons once came near Arsenius in his cell, and they were troubling him.  Then some brothers who usually ministered to him arrived.  As they stood outside the cell, they heard him crying alout to the Lord, "Lord, do not leave me, though I have done nothing good in your sight.  Grant me, Lord, by your loving kindness, to make at least the first beginnings of good."

Pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 12:03:49 AM »

http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm

http://orthodoxprayers.org/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 12:04:28 AM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
Nick

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 07:38:24 PM »

Elder Paisios says:

The elder said: Humility is acquired after struggles. When you know yourself you acquire humility, which become a (permanent) condition. Otherwise one can become humble for a moment, but your thought will say to you that you are something although in reality you're nothing. and you'll be deluded like that to the moment of death. If death finds you with the thought that you are nothing, then God will speak. If however your thought says at the hour of death that you are something and you don't understand it, all your effort goes to waste.

“Ask for repentance in your prayer and nothing else, neither for divine lights, nor miracles, nor prophecies, nor spiritual gifts—nothing but repentance. Repentance will bring you humility, humility will bring you the Grace of God, and God will have in His Grace everything you need for your salvation, or anything you might need to help another soul." - Elder Paisios

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/elder_paisios_mount_athos.htm

NULL
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 12:49:40 AM »

Abba Dorotheos says:  "O Lord send me someone to offend me!"

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: