Author Topic: We missed the Holy Unction service; my mother got real sick but is OK  (Read 554 times)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
This is trivial compared to the sufferings of our people in the Middle East, but my mother had a bad allergic reaction today that prevented us from attending the Holy Unction service at St. Mary and Athanasius Coptic Church.

My mother and I were gearing up to,go when she started coughing.  She had a severe fevere that hit 103 before mercifully through the grace of God stabilizing, and she's now normal.  It,was a severe allergic reaction to something.

We were going to see the Holy Unction Service and the Divine Liturgy of,St. Cyril. 

I really do,want to participate in the Coptic service.  I know it's forbidden in Holy Week but do,you think the monks or our priest might do it for us the week after on account of our illness? 

Failing that, I know the Antiochians do Holy Unction and will offer it to us without question at St. Nicholas; should we just take the Byzantine unction or see if we can arrange a special service after holy,week?  We've both been so sick, and unction administered by a monk at St. Anthonys Monastery near Barstow helped us in the past.

Also, is it licit to serve the liturgy of St. Cyril outside of Lent?   I know it's mainly used in Lent but I'm just curious, since we were really hoping to see it.

But my mother and I are very thankful,she swiftly recovered.  I was afraid this would require a trip to the Ear but she's Ok now.  Glory to God.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:08:20 AM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
Re: We missed the Holy unction service
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
Oh no my other had stabilized earlier but now her fever has returned and she's coughimg again

I am so frightened

Between this and the othe emergencies I am breaking down

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
Re: We missed the Holy Unction service; my mother got real sick but is OK
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »
Ok despite the temperature reading she seems to be functioning normally.  I've seen her much sicker with a lower temperature.  I wonder if the thermometer might be in error.

However there is no doubt she was really sick earlier.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:46:27 AM by wgw »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
I really do,want to participate in the Coptic service.  I know it's forbidden in Holy Week but do,you think the monks or our priest might do it for us the week after on account of our illness? 

I don't see why you couldn't ask for the sacrament after Easter. 

Failing that, I know the Antiochians do Holy Unction and will offer it to us without question at St. Nicholas; should we just take the Byzantine unction or see if we can arrange a special service after holy,week?  We've both been so sick, and unction administered by a monk at St. Anthonys Monastery near Barstow helped us in the past.

If the Antiochians will anoint you and your priest is OK with that, then why not? 

Hope your mom is feeling better.  :)
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
Thank you Mor.  My mother's temperature is now 99.2 and she seems to just have a regular cold.  I do worry though when she gets sick.  The main reason I'm not in a monastery or in London with my fiancée is because I need to help her and my father and I have made horrific sacrifices to this end, but it was worth it.  But each fright takes some thing out of me.  Hence the value of Unction. When the Coptic monk gave it to me at St. Anthonys he didn't do the full liturgy. He just anointed me, so I'm hoping to persuade them to do the full service.  What he did worked wonders, but ,y thought is participating in the full liturgy with the seven prayers is such a beautiful service it will enrich and enliven my reception of the sacrament by doing what good liturgy does, which is to align the faithful with the heavenly liturgy so they are disposed to receive the mystery in awareness of its heavenly origins or underpinnings.  Which correct me if I'm wrong but in the case of Holy Unction really are mysterious, in that much less thrological study has gone into this sacrament than into others, with even high church Protestants rejecting it's sacramental nature despite ample scriptural warrant (I am convinced that even though sola Scriptura is wrong and unbiblical, Orthodoxy still has the only interpretation of scripture that is broadly consistent with all parts), and we tend to simply accept this mystery.  Which may not be a bad thing; it works reliably, and one reason I pray for Protestants to come to us is because of the benefits of this simple service.

I'm waiting to hear back from my priest on using the Antiochians.  Actually the first Byzantine service I attended from them.  In general my priest has authorized me to use Eastern Orthodox services before if they'll admit me, and I've even taken communion in this manner from some of the more liberal jurisdictions.

I prefer of course the speed and efficiency of the West Syriac Eucharist but alas I'm not getting that from the Copts anyway.  But I think I will go to St. Ephraims for Maundy Thursday and the Paschal Vigil.  I've done their Easter Sunday service before but apparently the Paschal Vigil is the main event.

Lastly by the way Mor, if you, or anyone else reading this, knows of any good Orthodox books, Eastern or Oriental, or even Byzantine Carholic, on this sacrament, I would really like to add that to my library.  I have a wonderful book on the Eucharistic epiclesis, which is my favorite part of the Anaphora, so Id really love a book on holy unction, ideally with comparative text from the different rites for the service.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:04:52 PM by wgw »

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:02:23 PM »

I don't see why you couldn't ask for the sacrament after Easter. 

If the Antiochians will anoint you and your priest is OK with that, then why not? 

Hope your mom is feeling better.  :)
I'm confused. Is this an annointing or a service with announcing?
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
In the Coptic and Byzantine Rites the oil is blessed using a beautiful liturgy consisting of seven prayers, seven epistles and seven gospels.  The Byzantines try to do this every time they annoint if the sick person can make it to the temple, whereas the Copts are more inclined to do it as needed to replenish the supply of holy oil.

The old Byzantine Rite services call for seven priests to perform the service together but in the diaspora I would I,aging that's quite rare.  Also I believe the Russians annoint a different part of your body like in Chrismation, after each prayer/epistle/gospel, whereas the Antiochian service I attended featueed everyone being anointed on the forehead at the end of the service, and then given a q tip or two of the blessed oil to annoint objects in their home.

The Coptic service involves lighting wicks into a bowl of oil and used to involve lamps, but I don't know the exact feel for the general service as I've never seen it.  However the Coptic monk, using "presanctified oil" anointed me on the forehead and palms.  He also gave me a vile of oil for domestic use and my mother and I have found this a blessing as well.

I don't know if any other rites have a service like the Coptic or Byzantine; I'm kind of hoping the Syriac Orthodox do, but I've been told the Armenians don't.  I also hope the Ethiopians have such a rite and in their case it's plausible given their historic relationship with the Copts, but alas I'm unlikely ever to find an English translation of it, whereas I have translations of the Byzantine and Coptic rites.