Poll

The Divine Liturgies of Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday and supposed to be served late in the day, though for legitmate practical reason they often are not. When does your parish serve these services?

We serve both Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday early (starting before noon)
8 (44.4%)
We serve both Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday late (starting after noon)
2 (11.1%)
We serve Holy Thursday late, and Holy Saturday early
3 (16.7%)
We serve Holy Thursday early, and Holy Saturday late
4 (22.2%)
We don't have DL for Holy Thurday, and serve Holy Saturday late
0 (0%)
We don't have DL for Holy Thurday, and serve Holy Saturday early
1 (5.6%)
We don't have DL for Holy Saturday, and serve Holy Thursday early
0 (0%)
We don't have DL for Holy Saturday, and serve Holy Thursday late
0 (0%)
We don't DL for either Holy Thursday or Holy Saturday
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: When do you serve Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday Divine Liturgy?  (Read 533 times)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
Holy Saturday is supposed to be the latest DL of the whole year, and Holy Thursday is also supposed to be fairly late. When do your parish churches serve these liturgies? Mine does Holy Thursday with vespers starting at 2 pm, but then does Holy Saturday in the am. I know another parish that does the opposite, and most I've seen do both in the morning.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re: When do you serve Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday Divine Liturgy?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:35:21 PM »
I voted option #4 due to your "noon" designation time, but it's a bit vague on your meaning of Liturgies.  I'm assuming you meant the Vesperal Liturgy of the Mystical Supper and the Vesperal Liturgy on Holy Saturday.  They are at 11:30 am and 1pm respectively at my parish.  For the past few years, we have been baptising/chrismating catechumens after the last OT reading on Saturday.  I'm not a fan personally of this due to the added length for an already long service, but that's just MHO.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:50:43 AM »
I voted option #4 due to your "noon" designation time, but it's a bit vague on your meaning of Liturgies.  I'm assuming you meant the Vesperal Liturgy of the Mystical Supper and the Vesperal Liturgy on Holy Saturday.  They are at 11:30 am and 1pm respectively at my parish.  For the past few years, we have been baptising/chrismating catechumens after the last OT reading on Saturday.  I'm not a fan personally of this due to the added length for an already long service, but that's just MHO.

The baptisms are supposed to be done during the readings, IIRC.  ;)
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

...if you feel Mor really is in spiritual danger, pray the Jesus prayer for him.   :police:

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 05:18:42 PM »
In my parish, Divine Liturgy is set for Thursday at 1:00pm and Saturday at 10:00am. We do our baptisms/chrismations Saturday at 9:00am
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:19:37 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) »