OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:03:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Tax Dollars at Work - FBI Investigates burned Korans in VA  (Read 1283 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 17, 2005, 09:06:43 AM »

washingtonpost.com
Burned Korans Found at Va. Islamic Center

By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 17, 2005; B05

Members of an Islamic center in southwest Virginia returned from a prayer meeting Saturday and made a shocking discovery: partially burned copies of the Koran had been left in a shopping bag by the center's front door.

Police in Blacksburg said yesterday that they are investigating the incident and trying to determine whether it was a hate crime. "We are taking it very seriously and are looking at all possibilities," Lt. Joe Davis said.

He said members of the Islamic Center of Blacksburg held a prayer meeting at the center early Saturday and then left. When they returned about 1:30 p.m., they found "three or four" partially burned Korans in a white plastic bag, Davis said.

Davis could not say whether the copies of the Koran belonged to the center or how severely they had been burned. A man who answered the phone at the center yesterday said no one was available to talk about the incident.

The FBI's Roanoke office is assessing the situation, said Kevin Foust, the office's supervisory special agent. "In the meantime," he said, "we have offered any resources we have to the Blacksburg police to assist them in their investigation." Blacksburg is about 35 miles west of Roanoke.

The Koran burning comes at a time of particular sensitivity. The U.S. military recently confirmed five cases of U.S. personnel mishandling the Muslim holy book at the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, acknowledging that soldiers and interrogators kicked the Koran, got copies wet, stood on a copy during an interrogation and inadvertently got urine on another one.

The military's inquiry came after Newsweek magazine reported early last month that U.S. personnel had flushed a Koran down a toilet at Guantanamo Bay, setting off riots in Muslim nations that left 16 people dead. Newsweek retracted the article, and the military's investigation determined that no such incident had taken place.

Laila Al-Qatami, a spokeswoman for the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee in Washington, said she found the Koran incident in Blacksburg "shocking" and urged police and the FBI to determine whether it was motivated by hate.

"If pages from another holy book were burned and delivered to a place of worship, people would think yes, someone has an agenda," she said. "Pages don't burn themselves and appear in a bag outside a place of worship. Someone willfully did this."

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the organization will await the results of the inquiry in Blacksburg before deciding whether the Koran burning was a hate crime.

"It's hard to see a scenario where it would not be bias-related," Hooper said, "but it is subject to interpretation. You can read into it what they were trying to say, but without an explicit anti-Muslim message, we have to really wait and see what the investigation turns up."

Last month, the council released a report showing a striking increase nationally in reports of suspected hate crimes against Muslims -- 141 last year compared with 93 in 2003. Overall, the organization said, U.S. Muslims had reported about 1,500 cases of hate crimes, unreasonable arrest, harassment and other alleged civil rights violations last year, a 50 percent increase from the previous year.

Yesterday, in response to the Blacksburg incident, the Council on American-Islamic Relations issued a statement calling on Americans of all faiths to obtain and read the Koran.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I am concerned, if the Korans were not the property of that cesspool mosque, then it is more a case of littering.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 09:08:03 AM by TomS » Logged
Kolya
Still learning!

Snow in Red Square.

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:23:57 AM »

As far as I am concerned, if the Korans were not the property of that cesspool mosque, then it is more a case of littering.

If I posted something like that in my local paper, I would be arrested for Hate Speech. BTW, Do you hate the people or just their religion. One is justified, one is not Christian.

Treat others as you would like to be treated!
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 09:31:42 AM »

BTW, Do you hate the people or just their religion. One is justified, one is not Christian.

Thanks for that information. I was not aware that hating an individual was un-Christian  Roll Eyes

Kolya
Still learning!

Snow in Red Square.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 09:38:42 AM »

Thanks for that information. I was not aware that hating an individual was un-ChristianÂÂ  Roll Eyes

Just checking. OK Cheesy

Treat others as you would like to be treated!
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 10:31:12 AM »

Thanks for that information. I was not aware that hating an individual was un-Christian  Roll Eyes

You don't sound like you hate you hate an individual, you sound like you hate all people who follow Islam. 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »

You don't sound like you hate you hate an individual, you sound like you hate all people who follow Islam.ÂÂ  

No. I hate what they follow. It's wrong to hate someone because of their ignorance.
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 11:01:33 AM »

TomS,

I agree, this is very stupid.  But it's also very political - right now the United States is fighting like hell to counter the claim (somewhat warranted, for right or wrong, but really there are more basic problems involved) of being "anti-Islamic" and that theirs is a battle "against Islam", and that they mistreat Muslim prisoners on religious grounds, etc. etc.

Thus, you have this huge over-reaction at home.  Where as graffiti (often quite vile) on a Church or a break in resulting in desecration will rarely register beyond a local response (a response that will, if there was not substantial monetary damages, likely go nowhere), a few chewed up Korans in a shopping bag is (literally) a federal offence.

So yeah, it's dumb, but it's "just politics."

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 11:17:19 AM »

Thus, you have this huge over-reaction at home.ÂÂ  Where as graffiti (often quite vile) on a Church or a break in resulting in desecration will rarely register beyond a local response (a response that will, if there was not substantial monetary damages, likely go nowhere), a few chewed up Korans in a shopping bag is (literally) a federal offence.

Laila Al-Qatami, a spokeswoman for the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee in Washington, said she found the Koran incident in Blacksburg "shocking" and urged police and the FBI to determine whether it was motivated by hate.

"If pages from another holy book were burned and delivered to a place of worship, people would think yes, someone has an agenda," she said. "Pages don't burn themselves and appear in a bag outside a place of worship. Someone willfully did this."

Yes, the government, but the above two comparisons more show the hypocrisy of the media for making this a story.  When was the last time they made a church/bible desecration a front page story or any story?

Furthermore, a coworker who likes to talk about politics too much at work, said that any non-Arabic Koran is not allowed by Islam, such that many of these "American" instances are not desecrations against a valid Koran.  I guess these non-Arabic "Korans" in Saudi Arabia, for example, would be burned along with bibles.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »

I guess these non-Arabic "Korans" in Saudi Arabia, for example, would be burned along with bibles.

Yes. That is exactly what happens. And even further, they burn Korans that are not "licensed" or approved by their form of Islam. Pilgrims who go to Mecca are stopped on the border and their Korans are confiscated if they are not the "correct" ones.

Here is an article:

Newsweek, Richard Cohen, and more.
From the May 30, 2005 issue: Newsweek andd dissing the Koran.
by The Scrapbook
05/30/2005, Volume 010, Issue 35

Dissing the Koran

While Islamist fanatics and ignorant Westerners sow panic over the alleged desecration of a Koran at Guantanamo Bay, no one mentions a startling fact: When it comes to destruction of the Koran, there's no question who the world champion is--the government of Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi state religion is the primitive and austere Wahhabi version of Islam, which defines many traditional Islamic practices as idolatrous. Notably, the state bans the importation of Korans published elsewhere. When foreign pilgrims arrive at the Saudi border by the millions for the annual journey to Mecca, what happens to the non-Saudi Korans they are carrying? The border guards confiscate them, to be shredded, pulped, or burned. Beautiful bindings and fine paper are viewed as a particular provocation--all are destroyed. (This on top of the spiritual vandalism the Saudis perpetrate, by inserting anti-Jewish and anti-Christian squibs into the Korans they publish in foreign languages, as Stephen Schwartz documented in our issue of September 27, 2004.)

This behavior isn't a recent innovation, by the way. Here's an account of how the Saudis carried on when they seized the city of Taif in 1802. It's taken from an unimpeachable Islamic source, the compilation Advice for the Muslim, edited by the Turkish scholar Hilmi Isik and published by Hakikat Kitabevi in Istanbul:

The Wahhabis tore up the copies of the Koran . . . and other Islamic books they took from libraries, mosques and houses, and threw them down on the ground. They made sandals from the gold-gilded leather covers of the Koran and other books and wore them on their filthy feet. There were verses of the Koran and other sacred writings on those leather covers. The pages of those valuable books thrown around were so numerous that there was no space to step in the streets of Taif. . . . The Wahhabi bandits, who were gathered from the deserts for looting and who did not know the Koran, tore up all the copies they found and stamped on them. Only three copies of the Koran were saved from the plunder of a major town, Taif.

No wonder anti-Wahhabi Muslims say "the Saudis print the Koran to destroy it." They print it and they destroy it in a daily desecration that makes Newsweek's retracted Guantanamo allegation look trivial by comparison.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 11:42:30 AM by TomS » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: