OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:50:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a Spiritual Father  (Read 930 times) Average Rating: 0
Kolya
Still learning!

Snow in Red Square.

« on: June 17, 2005, 05:32:34 AM »

Hi all
I've been a member of a ROC-MP parish for just over a year. My problem is that our dear
priest is a very busy man, and does not have the time to sit down and discuss problems.
I do get advice at confession, which I try to do at least twice a month. but it's sometimes not enough.
I'd like to discuss problems in the week too, but he's just not available.
I thought of going to another jurisdiction, but I don't want to offend the priest and he thinks perhaps
I don't like him.
I'm in the choir, but I'm still an Orthobaby, learning to walk, so I need the guidance. And I don't like to come week after week to confess the same failings.
Where do I go for a Spiritual Father? I've been praying about this, but don't have a solution yet.

Treat others as you would like to be treated!
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 05:37:07 AM »

I will be waiting for these answers also.
Very good question?

Lord have mercy.
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 11:44:05 AM »

I find myself in the same situation sometimes (busy priest, etc...).  But here's the thing:  the priest is there to minister to the flock; that's his calling.  I'm sure that any capable priest would be willing to make time to discuss spiritual matters with the "children" of his flock.  If that means you need to get up an hour early to get to church before services just to talk to him, than that's what you do.  Another option would be (with your priest's blessing) to seek spiritual guidance from a nearby monastery, which is something many Orthodox that I know are comfortable with doing; in fact, there is a monastery about 3 hours away from where I live who's abbot serves as the spiritual father for some of my fellow parishioners.  Just talk to your priest, ask him if he can make time for you when you need it, and if for whatever reason he cannot (which I don't think will be the case), then ask his blessing to seek out a monk/nun or other spiritual guidance in you area.  Just do everything with prayer and a blessing before taking action, and you'll be fine.

In Christ,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Kolya
Still learning!

Snow in Red Square.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:15:05 AM »

Getting up early is not a problem, but he does his confessions early before liturgy, that is the only time I get to speak to him.
As for manastaries, there are none near me here in South Africa. They have just started with one, and there is one novice, and even he has no Spiritual Father yet. I think he is seeing a priest under the Metropolitan, which is Greek (Patriachate of Alexandria).
As I'm Russian ROC-MP, I don't want to go across juristictional lines, even though we share the same Metropolitan.
It's really quite a difficult situation, and I have to frequently turn to the 'net'. There are some Boards that have priests who answer questions placed there on a personal basis, but it's still not one-on-one.
I'm praying for guidance and a solution.

Treat others as you would like to be treated!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: