OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:58:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Live "misplaced" Aid 8  (Read 1020 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 15, 2005, 11:49:45 AM »

"Live 8 is not intended as a fund-raiser; rather, Geldof wants to use the concert to inspire the G8 group of industrialized nations, which meets in July in Scotland, to tackle systemic poverty issues in Africa by doubling aid money and canceling debts owed by poor nations."

Shheeesh. Doubling aid money is not the solution! Doesn't this bozo understand that the issue is the corrupt governments and the systematic violence between the warring tribes? Just last week I heard another story of grain rotting in warehouses because it has not been delivered to the countryside.

If he REALLY wanted to help Africa he would have a concert promoting FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY in Africa.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 11:50:57 AM by TomS » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 12:15:08 PM »

Definitely have to agree on this one.  There's been 8 of these things now?  Wow.
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »

This is a difficult one.   What does freedom mean?  Democracy?  The latter is probaly totally alien to tribal mentality.  How do you remove corrupt people?  Send in troops to police people who don't want them?  Maybe we should start with those fat guys and girls at the UN who ride around in limos and enjoy the sordid delights of NY?  I think drawing attention to the probem is good.  Giving more aid to corrupt dictatorships is wrong.  Maybe we should stop treating the black dictators and their cronies as equa;s?   This is probably a good example of affirmative action on a global level and  of how the world is really controlled by oligarchies.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 09:47:26 AM »

Noel Gallagher has launched a scathing attack on Live 8, saying it is a waste of time.

The Oasis star maintains that next week's extravaganza is a pointless exercise that won't help ease world debt because politicians won't listen.

He said: "Correct me if I am wrong, but are they hoping that one of these guys from the G8 is going to see Annie Lennox singing 'Sweet Dreams' and think, 'f-me, she might have a point there'. Or Keane doing 'Somewhere Only We Know' and some Japanese businessman looks at him and says 'we should really drop that debt, you know'. It isn't going to happen is it?" (ANANOVA)
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 11:34:04 AM »

This is a classic case of white liberal guilt gone awry.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
SeanMc

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 02:30:43 PM »

They had an interesting story on the financial show on the radio today (N.B., talk radio in Canada is left wing), apparently, in total, Nigeria's Dictators have squandered over 500 Billion Dollars. Which is almost the exact amount of foreign aid it received.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: