Author Topic: Is Your Toddler Obsessed With the iPad?  (Read 612 times)

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Is Your Toddler Obsessed With the iPad?
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:08:33 PM »
My little sister has an obsession with our mother's iPad which she all but claimed for herself. She is 4 years old and spends almost all of her time playing games and watching these annoying arts & crafts YouTube videos. She's taught herself the alphabet, basic spelling, and counting. She gets frustrated when the battery dies and it needs to be recharged.

I was just wondering, how common is this nowadays for kids her age? Any of you have similar experiences?

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Is Your Toddler Obsessed With the iPad?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »
Yes. My cousin does the same thing on the computer, she plays games. Every time I see her it seems she plays on it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:28:16 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:43:06 PM »
Several of my son's friends have iPads of their own. He gets jealous from time to time, especially when talk turns to Skylanders, but generally he's happy watching animal videos or playing a round of Panda Pop or similar games with me or his sister, on our own tablets.

Christmas before last, I got him a Nook (I found it on offer at just £29), hoping it would motivate him to read more by himself. It lasted 3 weeks before he managed to jam it beyond hope of fixing, by pressing nearly all its buttons at once. Just as he had discovered he could do spelling practice using the search function. He's not getting another electronic device of his own until he can prove he can treat it right.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 09:21:17 PM »
I was just wondering, how common is this nowadays for kids her age?
We don't have a tablet in the house ourselves, but by observation -- very. Tablets are designed for babies and old people -- you just touch what you want it to do and it does it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:21:30 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:26:05 PM »
Not obsessed, but he does like to take selfies with it, knows how to launch apps, especially netflix so he can watch Thomas the Train.  Im not really surprised how well he can navigate. I gave even seen him trying to push on the TV as if he were trying to open something up!
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:13:59 AM »
My wife's nephew (he's 9) is obsessed with it and it has replaced the TV and talking with humans.  It's an awful thing.  My two nephews are hooked on smart phones, but they're toddlers.  My sister makes sure to limit their access to it, but I know on car rides they have a tablet or some nonsense.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"