Author Topic: Questions concerning death before the Fall.  (Read 484 times)

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
Questions concerning death before the Fall.
« on: March 15, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »
I'm not sure how much this matters, but I've been thinking that questions concerning death before the Fall seem to presuppose certain metaphysical claims that take priority. I think any compatibilsm with Christian anthropology and a scientific explanation on evolution is a non-starter. They are in two different categories. Science has no metaphysical claims of its own nor does it need them nor can it answer metaphysical questions. It gives us explanations for natural causes, but its a mistake to take this explanation having priority over other claims. Why should it? <--- That becomes a metaphysical argument.

I don't see how an Orthodox anthropology has any use for the theory of evolution, from my perspective it simply doesn't. Why does the natural form we take up, as the theory of evolution explains, matter at all to metaphysical assumptions that underlie any religion? Why take up the scientific description of biological death as the meaning for the death each of us face, and also undermine and discredit theology of the Fall?

So would any Orthodox here kindly point out to me why there would still be a conflict from two separate domains in regards to death before the Fall? I'm not seeing why it's an issue and I don't see how theistic evolution can be supported since evolution is not teleological, there are no final causes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:29:48 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.